• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Has anyone ordered a MTO pair in Tarnsjo leather from Bonafe? Or do you at least have some pictures of the finished leather?

I'm making three very limited Jumper Boot series in the three Tärnsjö colors (3x3). Order should be ready in about three months.

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

What differentiates amazing mountain ram from meh mountain ram?

G&G Mountain Ram is Awesomeness and the other one is not mountain ram, it's just some kind of ram or goat, I have a sample and I don't like it and won't make shoes of it. Trust me.

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bonafè mainly works with croc, it's something of a speciality actually. Shark and elephant is very sensitive in our part of the world as there are concerns about how these materials are harvested. So it's getting harder and harder to source and demands a CITES certificate, this involves loads of administration from the retailer every time it's exported outside the EU. Basically we have to issue a CITES certificate for every single pair and not only does this cost us a fee from proper authorities, there are forms to fill out, beauracrats to get hold of, yada yada yada. So we are only doing exotics as single MTOs these days.

Thanks and I figured it would be some major work with the CITES paperwork. But good to know that single MTOs are still an option for that stuff.

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

G&G Mountain Ram is Awesomeness and the other one is not mountain ram, it's just some kind of ram or goat, I have a sample and I don't like it and won't make shoes of it. Trust me.

Will mountain ram become available for GG again?

Cityplace

Reaction score
I came across the pic below of an EG Newmarket in Rosewood CC. It got me thinking that a Bonafe Chelsea boot in Tarnsjo might be slightly awesome.
orig.jpg

Totally agree - would sign up for this after this month is over...

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bonafè mainly works with croc, it's something of a speciality actually. Shark and elephant is very sensitive in our part of the world as there are concerns about how these materials are harvested. So it's getting harder and harder to source and demands a CITES certificate, this involves loads of administration from the retailer every time it's exported outside the EU. Basically we have to issue a CITES certificate for every single pair and not only does this cost us a fee from proper authorities, there are forms to fill out, beauracrats to get hold of, yada yada yada. So we are only doing exotics as single MTOs these days.

Indeed. Even peccary gloves needs cites certification.. In Norway the cost is around 200NOK, but a very long wait. Took us a month last time.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha I believe you, I've just never seen a mountain ram shoe in person. Not too sure what it would be like.

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm making three very limited Jumper Boot series in the three Tärnsjö colors (3x3). Order should be ready in about three months.

Hi Patrik,
After correspondence with Gabriel, it was to my knowledge that you guys needed to have this run of the abovementioned jumper boot to ensure that the Tärnsjö leather that EB has, is suitable for making shoes, before you accept mtos.
As such, I already have 3 guys ready for a gmto, our makeup has been confirmed amongst ourselves and we are good to go. Can I confirm that we are, as yet, not allowed to put in our gmto order?

Last edited:

Leaves

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Hi Patrik,
After correspondence with Gabriel, it was to my knowledge that you guys needed to have this run of the abovementioned jumper boot to ensure that the Tärnsjö leather that EB has, is suitable for making shoes, before you accept mtos.
As such, I already have 3 guys ready for a gmto, our makeup has been confirmed amongst ourselves and we are good to go. Can I confirm that we are, as yet, not allowed to put in our gmto order?

We know it's suitable for making shoes, we have made several runs of it by Carmina. But this time we have introduced two new colors: Tärnsjö Oak and Tärnsjö Chestnut and we have never made anything from these colors, so we have no idea how it looks. And it's the first time we ask Bonafé to make something in this type of leather. So I'd really recommend you guys to hold until we see the finished result, but if you want to go ahead I won't stop you. I can't guarantee the outcome or accept any type of returns. I really think it will look great but if I were you I would hold.

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We know it's suitable for making shoes, we have made several runs of it by Carmina. But this time we have introduced two new colors: Tärnsjö Oak and Tärnsjö Chestnut and we have never made anything from these colors, so we have no idea how it looks. And it's the first time we ask Bonafé to make something in this type of leather. So I'd really recommend you guys to hold until we see the finished result, but if you want to go ahead I won't stop you. I can't guarantee the outcome or accept any type of returns. I really think it will look great but if I were you I would hold.

Thanks for the clarification Patrik. I'll discuss this with the guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads