1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Chris "Italia", Nov 4, 2007.

1. bm93

bm93 Senior member

Posted this in the Skoak thread, but figured I'd post it here as well:

I love the shape of Carmina's Inca last, but the instep is a bit too low for my foot. Considering EB's lasts have higher insteps, which Enzo last would be most similar to the Inca last? From what I've seen, the 804 last looks fairly similar, but I'm not entirely familiar with all of Enzo's different lasts.

2. ThunderMarch

ThunderMarch Senior member

You are right.
    In terms of toe shape the 804 would be most similar to the Inca. Both are almond toe.
    The 804 is however rather elongated, and I go down a half size for it.
    In terms of fit, I have oxfords only in 804 size 8, and in boots size 8.5..... So I can't give a very fair comparison. But comparing the 2 (804 vs Inca both in size 805 albeit boots for one and oxfords for the other), the 804 is definitely longer, roomier in the toe box with a higher instep.
    I have seen your pics showing you wearing Inca lasted shoes, and it does seem you have a really really high instep. If I were you I'd probably take your normal size for 804 and not size down. At least prob not for your first pair. Given the volume of your foot, you might probably "fill up" the shoe better.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  3. bm93

bm93 Senior member

Thank you for the response! I don't think my instep is extraordinarily high. It's definitely on the higher side, but Carmina's Rain last for example fits well in the instep with even a little room to spare. For reference, I am a US 8.5D/E on Brannock and wear size UK7.5 on Carmina's Rain and Inca (though instep is tight on Inca), 8E on Alden's Barrie, 8.5E on Alden's Leydon, and 8E on Allen Edmonds' 5-last. I ordered a pair of Enzo boots on the 363MOD in size UK7.5 as well, so I'm hoping those will fit well and not be too big.

4. ecwy

ecwy Senior member

I find the 363 MOD last instep HUGE.. and I have trouble with instep being too low for me on Rain last in same size. I order 363 MOD in 0.5 down.

For boots, 0.5 size too big isn't too much of an issue but you might face some looseness towards the heel due to the instep.

5. ThunderMarch

EB is a great value maker btw. I like them a lot, very good overall, and handwelted to boot.
    You almost don't really need anyone else.

6. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Do you also go down half for 363 mod? Or take your regular size 8.5uk?

1 person likes this.
  7. ThunderMarch

I only have 1 pair in 363mod, my first ever EB. It's a boot, for which I normally wear them loose anyway, so I took 8.5.....
    However, I don't find the instep particularly spacious.

8. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

All right thx you for your input sir.

1 person likes this.
  9. bm93

bm93 Senior member

Yeah, I'm definitely concerned about that, though you are right that with boots it's less of an issue since I can also wear thicker socks. Really really hoping those aren't too big... unfortunately since it's an MTO, I won't find out until June.

I presume you went with the same size as 363MOD on the 804 last as well? How does that fit compare to the Rain last, both length and width/instep-wise?

10. bm93

bm93 Senior member

Good to know, as usual, conflicting information when it comes to sizing. As they say, everyone's feet are different, and sizing is indeed a very inexact science. Regardless, the boot has already been ordered, so all I can do is wait and see at this point.

11. ecwy

ecwy Senior member

I take 804 in my normal size and 363MOD 0.5 down.

I find 804 is slightly bigger fitting than Rain in general. Instep is most definitely higher. Toe box is wider but I would not say significantly wider.

12. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

My friend we are the exact same size. Not to worry you since all feet are different, but I fitted the 363MOD NST in 7.5UK and the instep was far too spacious. The pic above is 363MOD in 7UK and the fit is great.

I also consider my feet to have high instep. For example I can't even get the vgap of an 8E 65 lasted shoe to close.

edit: I can take comparison pics for you. It might be crappy since its night time here now.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  13. bm93

bm93 Senior member

Yes, I saw the images you posted and appreciate the comparison! The problem I find is it's difficult to really tell the difference between insteps without actually trying on the shoes. It seems that if it were a low shoe, I would have been better off sizing down, but because the pair I ordered are boots, I'm hoping size UK7.5 on the 363MOD will be fine on me.

14. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

I can show you what a derby Carmina 7.5UK looks like when I wear it and my derby 363MOD when I wear it. You can gauge by the space between the eyestays how high the instep is.

I think boots will be more forgiving. Plus you can wear thicker socks too.

15. bm93

bm93 Senior member

I would really appreciate that, thank you!

16. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Senior member

We need one more person to sign up for makeup #3 so it gets made!

17. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

what's the welt on #3? is it norvegese (chained or otherwise) or a flat welt with an upturned lip ('storm welt"). wasnt clear in the makeup (because u/thatisgrossman's model has a norvegese welt but the cleverley's dont)

18. Diabolical

Diabolical Senior member

It's Enzo Bonafe's "L Welt" which is their version of a storm welt. I'm flexible on welt changes to get this boot made of everyone agrees.

19. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Senior member

I was personally a fan of the storm welt. I think the Norvegese welt is a little too much for this, considering all of the broguing and the texture of the leather and the Dainite sole.

20. 02///M3

02///M3 Senior member

This 363MOD sizing discussion has me a little apprehensive. I got in on the split-toe GMTO through Skoak and went with my Rain size at their advice. Rain fits a little snug on me and can't close the laces all the way so hoping the EB will fit perfectly. We shall see.