• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ENZO BONAFÉ MTO and GMTO Central

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@kevenmee was your experience with the topy tearing unique to EB or some other maker? I have scoured this thread as well as the regular EB thread and not seen any mention of topy's tearing. In my experience with aftermarket vibram topy's I have not had that issue either, so that's why I am curious.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Yes, my understanding is that is correct. Polished brass, bright brass and gold all seem to be one in the same when it comes to hardware. Antique brass is the more muted color in the, which are the boots on the right of @stook1 pic

Thanks. Just to be clearer, the pair on the right in @George Red photo is a Harlech and not EB. I think EB's antique might be a hair less muted. But the pair on the left is brass. I thought there might have been an even brighter option than the EB pair on the left but it sounds like I was wrong.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Just to be clearer, the pair on the right in @George Red photo is a Harlech and not EB. I think EB's antique might be a hair less muted. But the pair on the left is brass. I thought there might have been an even brighter option than the EB pair on the left but it sounds like I was wrong.
These are EB antique

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a custom last made with EB ! It will be a nice complement to your StC last. :D

Seriously, I did go through the process with Lorenzo. My first finished pair are due to arrive tomorrow.
sounds like a good idea, but lets get the St.C last right first.

kevenmee

Reaction score
@stook1 From Lorenzo: eyelets on my boots are small and colors available are Gold, Antique Brass, Nickel and Black

@jischwar Re: Topy tearing, specific to EB although they seem to tear in the same place (top of the shoe, essentially where you would put a toe tap). For what it's worth, I generally wear my shoes pretty hard. Haven't replaced it yet, since it hasn't gotten bad but had a local cobbler topy some other shoes which have held up fine. It's pretty cheap as well, it's just a little frustrating is all.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
So it seems we need to two more people.... In the meantime, I am pretty sure that I am still awaiting feedback from EB regarding adjustments to the last for my wide feet. Hopefully confirmation soon.

winwcy

Reaction score
What @stook1 is saying is true - EB has generally higher than normal instep.

A couple of things, the make-up was hatchgrain shaft, not pebbled which I think personally would look week on just the shaft.

Seems pretty similar, but just for reference:
100% agree on no Commando lug, and prefer the Vibram studded. Not a huge fan of the topy, had it tear on a pair of chelseas as well as NST. Not the end of the world, but it's a little frustrating to have tears/replace them so would much prefer to stick to Vibram studded.

Updated proposal:
  • Upper: Smooth Color 4
  • Shaft: Hatchgrain Color 4
  • Eyelets:9 Brass eyelets (Okay with 5 eyelets, 4 speed hooks if you would like)
    • IMO, the speed hooks that Enzo uses are pretty large and I'm not a huge fan but can be persuaded otherwise
  • Welt: 270 flat with dark brown edge dressing
  • Sole:Either Vibram studded (i.e. Dainnite) or Leather + Topy
  • Last: 74945
  • Final Price: $1095
I prefer Vibram Studded and 9 Brass eyelets.
Any fellas can comment on 270 vs 360 welt?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I prefer Vibram Studded and 9 Brass eyelets.
Any fellas can comment on 270 vs 360 welt?

270 degree welt is tighter around the heel with no visible stitching. Its not a huge difference but a somewhat cleaner look since the heel is less chunky looking and more well integrated with the upper.

360 would have stitching around the full exterior of the boot's welt and therefore a more visible welt around the heel.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this sole posted on Reddit from a recent MTO. Thoughts on it vs. Topy?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads