• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ENZO BONAFÉ MTO and GMTO Central

kevenmee

Reaction score
Sorry to keep on asking, but any interest in a shoe (not boot) GMTO?

You should propose a make-up and see if it'll gather interest. A lot easier taking something and tweaking it rather than coming from scratch!

MDavis887

Reaction score
You should propose a make-up and see if it'll gather interest. A lot easier taking something and tweaking it rather than coming from scratch!
Thanks. I will. Was just trying to see if anyone would even be interested or if people are only wanting boots

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Huh, I thought Lorenzo had commando soles similar to what Alden uses and not the Vibram one. Either way, I did reach out to confirm.

That being said, agree with the Vibram commando being entirely too chunky, which was as you suggested, was not what I was trying to achieve on the 74945. If I was looking for chunky, it'd be on the 363 MOD.

Waiting to hear back and I'll post the updated details so it doesn't clutter the thread.

Excellent, thanks for following up with Lorenzo.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
@kevenmee
@Patrick1053
@winwcy
@WNovizar

Gentlemen, I have been discussing some sizing/fit details with Lorenzo for the Color 4 Balway order that @kevenmee had been working to arrange. I happened to inquire also about the sole options and so I am relaying what I learned from Lorenzo here.

Vibram Commando heavy lug
Vibram studded like Dainite but Vibram
Ridgeway sizes 7-9.5 anything larger may need to use a Vibram heel
Leather

I'd most prefer to go with leather or perhaps leather + topy. I am really not too crazy about dainite but I guess my 2nd preference would be for the vibram eton, I think it is called, which is Vibram's version of Dainite. Ridgeway seems kind of chunky, although I somehow do not have a single pair of shoes on Ridgeway so maybe I am wrong. The Commando I'd probably have to pass on. I think it's the one I posted above.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@kevenmee
@Patrick1053
@winwcy
@WNovizar

Gentlemen, I have been discussing some sizing/fit details with Lorenzo for the Color 4 Balway order that @kevenmee had been working to arrange. I happened to inquire also about the sole options and so I am relaying what I learned from Lorenzo here.

Vibram Commando heavy lug
Vibram studded like Dainite but Vibram
Ridgeway sizes 7-9.5 anything larger may need to use a Vibram heel
Leather

I'd most prefer to go with leather or perhaps leather + topy. I am really not too crazy about dainite but I guess my 2nd preference would be for the vibram eton, I think it is called, which is Vibram's version of Dainite. Ridgeway seems kind of chunky, although I somehow do not have a single pair of shoes on Ridgeway so maybe I am wrong. The Commando I'd probably have to pass on. I think it's the one I posted above.
Second the no to commando. Also, can you refresh my mind on the rest? It is Color 4 smooth with a pebble shaft right?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Second the no to commando. Also, can you refresh my mind on the rest? It is Color 4 smooth with a pebble shaft right?

Yes, that was the proposed makeup. Color 4 smooth with a Color 4 pebbled shaft. 270 degree flat welt (would be open to storm welt). I would suggest going a bit darker on the edge color and the antique brass eyelets and hooks. Link for inspiration on edge color - a bit darker than some of the more recent makeups.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, that was the proposed makeup. Color 4 smooth with a Color 4 pebbled shaft. 270 degree flat welt (would be open to storm welt). I would suggest going a bit darker on the edge color and the antique brass eyelets and hooks. Link for inspiration on edge color - a bit darker than some of the more recent makeups.

What is the last again? Is the instep high?

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
It is the 74945 last. I would not be the best to comment on specifics since I don't have any shoes on this last but I believe all (or most?) EB lasts have a high instep. At least this one does.

kevenmee

Reaction score
What is the last again? Is the instep high?

What @stook1 is saying is true - EB has generally higher than normal instep.

A couple of things, the make-up was hatchgrain shaft, not pebbled which I think personally would look week on just the shaft.

Seems pretty similar, but just for reference:
100% agree on no Commando lug, and prefer the Vibram studded. Not a huge fan of the topy, had it tear on a pair of chelseas as well as NST. Not the end of the world, but it's a little frustrating to have tears/replace them so would much prefer to stick to Vibram studded.

Updated proposal:
  • Upper: Smooth Color 4
  • Shaft: Hatchgrain Color 4
  • Eyelets: 9 Brass eyelets (Okay with 5 eyelets, 4 speed hooks if you would like)
    • IMO, the speed hooks that Enzo uses are pretty large and I'm not a huge fan but can be persuaded otherwise
  • Welt: 270 flat with dark brown edge dressing
  • Sole: Either Vibram studded (i.e. Dainnite) or Leather + Topy
  • Last: 74945
  • Final Price: $1095

Last edited:

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A couple of things, the make-up was hatchgrain shaft, not pebbled which I think personally would look week on just the shaft.

100% agree on no Commando lug, and prefer the Vibram studded. Not a huge fan of the topy, had it tear on a pair of chelseas as well as NST. Not the end of the world, but it's a little frustrating to have tears/replace them so would much prefer to stick to Vibram studded.

Updated proposal:
  • Eyelets:9 Brass eyelets (Okay with 5 eyelets, 4 speed hooks if you would like)
    • IMO, the speed hooks that Enzo uses are pretty large and I'm not a huge fan but can be persuaded otherwise
  • Sole:Either Vibram studded (i.e. Dainnite) or Leather + Topy
Wow this seems like a great idea, but unfortunately, I have a low instep, so I do not think this will work for me.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score

Updated proposal:
  • Eyelets:9 Brass eyelets (Okay with 5 eyelets, 4 speed hooks if you would like)
  • Sole:Either Vibram studded (i.e. Dainnite) or Leather + Topy

Works for me... Apologies for the error regarding pebble vs. hatch. That was a brain freeze. I also prefer hatch. I'd probably prefer the 5 eyelets, personally. Are we thinking the polished brass or antique brass? I think we all need the same sole so I'd be ok with either of the two proposed options. Looks like we're coming together, which is great.

So just to be clear regarding my status, I am waiting for some feedback from EB (through Lorenzo) about fit. Pending that feedback, I should be in.

kevenmee

Reaction score
Works for me... Apologies for the error regarding pebble vs. hatch. That was a brain freeze. I also prefer hatch. I'd probably prefer the 5 eyelets, personally. Are we thinking the polished brass or antique brass? I think we all need the same sole so I'd be ok with either of the two proposed options. Looks like we're coming together, which is great.

So just to be clear regarding my status, I am waiting for some feedback from EB (through Lorenzo) about fit. Pending that feedback, I should be in.

Yeah, definitely - thanks for your input (and saving me from the disastrous commando mugs...

Don’t know what polished vs antique is, got any pictures? I’m pretty sure I’m fine with either though.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Yeah, definitely - thanks for your input (and saving me from the disastrous commando mugs...

Don’t know what polished vs antique is, got any pictures? I’m pretty sure I’m fine with either though.

The pair that I linked above to show the edge color have antique eyelets. I think these below are regular brass (on the left). There may also be shiny option, like a polish brass. I got that sense from the discussion about the jumpers that @nishant was working on earlier in the week. My experience with EB is limited so I may be wrong.

kevenmee

Reaction score
Think the eyelets/speedhooks are just different sized, but not sure if there's an actual hardware difference in color.

Either way, I'll ping Lorenzo.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pair that I linked above to show the edge color have antique eyelets. I think these below are regular brass (on the left). There may also be shiny option, like a polish brass. I got that sense from the discussion about the jumpers that @nishant was working on earlier in the week. My experience with EB is limited so I may be wrong.

Yes, my understanding is that is correct. Polished brass, bright brass and gold all seem to be one in the same when it comes to hardware. Antique brass is the more muted color in the pic, which are the boots on the right of @stook1 pic

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics