• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ENZO BONAFÉ MTO and GMTO Central

kevenmee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are definitely thinner than any of my other shell boots. Therefore they’re not as clunky as some of the other shell boots. It feels softer and more pliable. The downside is its tensile strength is worse so it’s more prone to tear at the seams. I already tear mine at the pull tab.

FWIW, I haven't found this to be true (or noticeable). Have a few pairs but none have torn anywhere.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I totally get you on that one. Still a great pair of boots but not G&G thorpe. The EB just missed it marginally but at the price points were paying for - it’s all about the margins. View attachment 1536115
Is your Thorpe in bourbon hatchgrain cordovan? EB makes fantastic footwear but, at least aesthetically, the Thorpe is another level or two higher IMHO. And agree you get what you pay for, and in that respect EB provides great bang for the buck.

I did ask Lorenzo about pie crust stitching when I initially contacted him about the color 4 hatchgrain NST GMTO. He was clear EB wouldn't be able to produce it. G&G and the chinese manufacturer (ACME?) seem to be the only two makers willing and able to attempt pie crust stitching with shell

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just unboxed the mahogany jumpers and I have to agree with you. The embossing of the grain isn't as pronounced as I expected based on the sample swatches

Yeah when I opened the box, I wasn’t sure if it was the same leather honestly. So, I went back to the IG post to take a look at it. That led me to surmise, it was just me initially seeing what I wanted to see. I sort of imagined a more pronounced pebble grain, but that’s clearly not what the image showed. Still, it would have looked really good if the whole boot was of the big grain shell.

On the same page as you - wish I went full smooth shell or full big grain, not a huge fan of the juxtaposition but you live and you learn

I’ve got more than a few boots with mixed grain, textured leather, and tend to be a fan. For me, I think it’s more about I’ve forever wanted a pair of EB mahogany cordovan boots in smooth shell. Now I’ve screwed up and ordered a combination pair, when I’d rather have a pair of each in the respective leathers. Ultimately, my feet just love EB boots above all others, so I’m still really happy with them.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I totally get you on that one. Still a great pair of boots but not G&G thorpe. The EB just missed it marginally but at the price points were paying for - it’s all about the margins. View attachment 1536115
Well to be clear, I in no way expected them to BE as excellent as Thorpe’s. I believe the limitation for EB in terms of a suitable facsimile is a pretty simple one, they just don’t have anyone on staff that can execute the stitching and of course shell complicates it further.

mugenlove

Reaction score
In regards to the mahogany, I’d do a full Russian grain. I was very happy with the dark cognac Russian grain. When everyone is ready ?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spoke to Lorenzo and he currently has enough Dark Cognac Russian Grain Shell for 4 pairs (can get more if needed, but that's what is currently on hand). I really like how it came out and would love to do a chukka boot using it. Here is the makeup I'm proposing

Model: 3403 Chukka Boot
Last: 74945
Leather: Dark Cognac Russian Grain Shell Cordovan
Sole: Double Leather with Toe Taps or Vibram Explosion
Welt: Brown with 360 Degree Chained Norvegese
Price: $1065

Some pics for inspiration
Full Boot on 74945
1610765054596.png

Front look with grain and norvegese
1610765083190.png

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folks I'm considering a shell balmoral boot MTO, inspired by G&G Caterbury, and wanted to check if there's enough interest for a group order. I'm envisioning a versatile boot that can be dressed up or worn with flannel/five pocket (non-denim) trousers. I'm leaning towards the 804, a sleek round toe last, with flat welt and some sort of rubber sole (double vibram or single ridgeway)

I've asked Lorenzo about shell availability, specifically mahogany hatch grain or bourbon russian grain. Don't have price, but guessing this would be in the $1100-$1150 range

G&G Canterbury in chestnut hatchgrain, chisel toe last (TG73)

Canterbury on round toe last (DG70)

A couple of examples of Bonafe balmoral boot

Bonafe 804 last

Mallaig

Reaction score

mugenlove

Reaction score
Is your Thorpe in bourbon hatchgrain cordovan? EB makes fantastic footwear but, at least aesthetically, the Thorpe is another level or two higher IMHO. And agree you get what you pay for, and in that respect EB provides great bang for the buck.

I did ask Lorenzo about pie crust stitching when I initially contacted him about the color 4 hatchgrain NST GMTO. He was clear EB wouldn't be able to produce it. G&G and the chinese manufacturer (ACME?) seem to be the only two makers willing and able to attempt pie crust stitching with shell
Yeah it’s a G&G bourbon hatch thorpe. Never the less, I happy with the EB purchase - it’s more an observation then a critique.

SteveL91

Reaction score
I spoke with Lorenzo and he has more mahogany kudu available. Would anyone be interested in a group order? I was thinking of a hunter boot (model 3922) on the 74945 last in mahogany kudu/snuff suede.

retrofalcon

Reaction score
Folks I'm considering a shell balmoral boot MTO, inspired by G&G Caterbury, and wanted to check if there's enough interest for a group order. I'm envisioning a versatile boot that can be dressed up or worn with flannel/five pocket (non-denim) trousers. I'm leaning towards the 804, a sleek round toe last, with flat welt and some sort of rubber sole (double vibram or single ridgeway)

I've asked Lorenzo about shell availability, specifically mahogany hatch grain or bourbon russian grain. Don't have price, but guessing this would be in the $1100-$1150 range

Canterbury on round toe last (DG70)

A couple of examples of Bonafe balmoral boot

Bonafe 804 last

Do you have a picture of the mahogany?

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reposting my original message since I can no longer edit.

Bonafe balmoral boot in mahogany hatchgrain inspired by G&G Canterbury.

Specs:

Leather: Mahogany Hatch Grain Shell Cordovan
Construction: Hand Welted 360deg flat welt
Sole: Single Leather with Ridgeway Brown or Double leather with Vibram
Edge Finish: Dk Brown
Lining: natural calf
5 Small Antique Eyelets and 4 matching Speedhooks
Last: 804, an elegant round toe last

Bonafe balmoral boot

Bonafe 804 last

Mahogany hatchgrain

Mahogany hatchgrain.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads