• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ENZO BONAFÉ MTO and GMTO Central

forgz

Reaction score
Probably no gusseted tongue for me. Not my cup of tea.

How about we meet in the middle with a storm welt?

Okay. So here's the new config:

Balway boot w/captoe
Color 16 smooth (lower half) / black sharkskin (upper half)
74945 Last
5 eyelets + 3 speedhooks
Polished brass hardware
360 storm welt
Ridgeway outsole (double sole thickness overall)
Red goat lining
Hidden pull tab

Price: TBD. I'll ask Lorenzo.

jischwar, Mallaig:
- are you in on this config?
- lining question: are we thinking like a burgundy red or a bright/cherry red? A darker, burgundy red is more tasteful IMO

Any other takers out there? Still need at least 1 more.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay. So here's the new config:

Balway boot w/captoe
74945 Last
5 eyelets + 3 speedhooks
Polished brass hardware
360 storm welt
Red goat lining
Hidden pull tab

Price: TBD. I'll ask Lorenzo.

jischwar, Mallaig:
- are you in on this config?
- lining question: are we thinking like a burgundy red or a bright/cherry red? A darker, burgundy red is more tasteful IMO

Any other takers out there? Still need at least 1 more.
Yes, this would work for me. 360 Flat Welt and Double Leather would also work if it comes to that. For the lining EB calls it Bordeaux and that would be my vote.
1599843015003.png

forgz

Reaction score
Yes, this would work for me. 360 Flat Welt and Double Leather would also work if it comes to that. For the lining EB calls it Bordeaux and that would be my vote.
View attachment 1456581

I got a price from Lorenzo for the gmto: $1095

Current takers: forgz, jischwar, Mallaig (?), need one more

Balway boot w/captoe
74945 Last
5 eyelets + 3 speedhooks
Polished brass hardware
360 storm welt
Burgundy goat lining
Hidden pull tab

Mallaig

Reaction score
I got a price from Lorenzo for the gmto: $1095

Current takers: forgz, jischwar, Mallaig (?), need one more

Balway boot w/captoe
74945 Last
5 eyelets + 3 speedhooks
Polished brass hardware
360 storm welt
Burgundy goat lining
Hidden pull tab

I have to pass on this specific makeup. My goal is to use the col16/shark to create a boot that is a little more formal, so I'm working on a makeup that will look like the following:

• Balway boot w/captoe
  • Color 16 smooth (lower half) / black sharkskin (upper half)
  • 74945 last
  • 5 eyelets + 3 speedhooks
  • Polished brass hardware
  • Dark brown edging
  • 270 or 360 flat hand welt - still to be determined
  • Double Leather with Vibram Topy 5 nails at toe Edge
  • Burgundy Goat lining
  • Flush attached pull tab
  • Black or brown flat leather laces

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to pass on this specific makeup. My goal is to use the col16/shark to create a boot that is a little more formal, so I'm working on a makeup that will look like the following:

• Balway boot w/captoe
  • 74945 last
  • Dark brown edging
  • 270 or 360 flat hand welt - still to be determined
  • Double Leather with Vibram Topy 5 nails at toe Edge
  • Burgundy Goat lining
  • Black or brown flat leather laces
The more formal nature of this makeup speaks to me a little more than the original. I like the flat welt, could do 270, and either DL with toe taps or Vibram. Sorry @forgz I just have plenty of boots that serve the foul weather function.

forgz

Reaction score
The more formal nature of this makeup speaks to me a little more than the original. I like the flat welt, could do 270, and either DL with toe taps or Vibram. Sorry @forgz I just have plenty of boots that serve the foul weather function.

No prob. Totally understand. I'll think about this version, but will likely bow out and go solo MTO.

Mallaig

Reaction score
New opportunity for a Col16 boot with a Black Shark shaft. This boot will look almost black to start with and then the red undertones of the shell will emerge, contrasted by the pure black of the shaft. I'm really excited about this one.

Lorenzo is quoting us $1150 for a GMTO of 4 people or more. It's a steal at this price.

@jischwar and @Mallaig are committed so far. We are looking for two more to join the GMTO.

Details are as follows:
  • Balway boot w/captoe
  • 74945 last
  • Dark brown edging
  • 270 flat hand welt
  • Double Leather with toe taps
  • Burgundy Goat lining
  • Black and brown flat leather laces

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New opportunity for a Col16 boot with a Black Shark shaft. This boot will look almost black to start with and then the red undertones of the shell will emerge, contrasted by the pure black of the shaft. I'm really excited about this one.

Lorenzo is quoting us $1150 for a GMTO of 4 people or more. It's a steal at this price.

@jischwar and @Mallaig are committed so far. We are looking for two more to join the GMTO.

Details are as follows:
  • Balway boot w/captoe
  • 74945 last
  • Dark brown edging
  • 270 flat hand welt
  • Double Leather with toe taps
  • Burgundy Goat lining
  • Black and brown flat leather laces
Wanted to refresh this makeup and see if we can get two takers. Think the development of the Col16 with the black shark should produce a really unique boot.

Gabru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey All, I have some leftover credit from shopmehra and not planning to use it. Will let it go at a discount that you can use for your MTO/GMTO with him. Please DM me for details. thanks

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone with experience share their thought on Enzo Bonafe shell cordovan vs Carmina Shell Cordovan?

I am thinking of an unlined bourbon shell chukka and need to decide who to order from.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone with experience share their thought on Enzo Bonafe shell cordovan vs Carmina Shell Cordovan?

I am thinking of an unlined bourbon shell chukka and need to decide who to order from.
They both use Horween, so no differentiator there. EB is mostly hand welt. I prefer hand welt makers, I feel like they are preserving the art of shoe making, so tend to favor them. With the amount of shoes I have to choose from, other than sentimental reasons for choosing them, it’s likely a wash. Carmina has more “modern” last’s, if you’re looking for that they get the edge there. I don’t have lots of Carmina last’s, overwhelmingly Rain, next Forest, a few Soller, Llubi and an Oscar are in my room.

Again, for me I just love EB’s aesthetic, so they out number everyone in my shoe room, with Carmina and C&J a close second in terms of numbers.

I see you’re selling an EB, so you have some experience with EB craftsmanship. Carmina is a really great maker, the customer engagement gives them a big edge over most makers IMO. But, as much as I like Carmina the proof is in the pudding. My purchase history shows, I’m not willing to pay full price for Carmina shell, for EB I am. Honestly though, it’s only a few hundred dollars more for EB, but I feel they are worth it.

You’ll be surprised to find that, I said all that to say, give Carmina a try. They’re a good maker, and it’s not like you’re gonna stop buying shoes anytime soon. So, you’ll have a nice pair of Carmina shell Chukka’s. I suspect you’ll be back to EB in the long run.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads