• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Envelope embossing and Wax sealing envelops???

Korben

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2009
Messages
241
Reaction score
0
I have been writing hand written letters to several friends for a few years now. I have always used nice stationery. However, recently two of my correspondents have started embossing their envelopes. One simply embosses their initials just above where the envelope is sealed. The other places and embossed golden sticker with his initials. Also, another has starting wax sealing his envelopes with his single initial. I was wondering if anyone else does this and if so why and what do you think of these practices?
 

Annadale

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2010
Messages
191
Reaction score
24
Affected. It is nice that you take the time to handwrite letters, embossing the envelope is a touch too far. As for your friend who wax seals and impresses, who does he think he is, Little Lord fucking Fauntleroy? If they are mates, dump them!
 

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2010
Messages
2,904
Reaction score
367
I got lots of letters wax sealed in Venice and other areas of Italy. Its died out here in England though.

I would say its a little affected, but if you're still hand writing letters on good parchment/paper then you may well be the type of person who can get away with it.
 

Mr T

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
924
Reaction score
1
I don't know why this practice would be more affected than anything else we do. But ask yourself, how did you feel when your friends embossed their envelopes to you? Personally, I would appreciate it if my friends did this and have considered embossing/sealing my own correspondence.

There are many inexpensive wax stamps for holidays and/or simple designs (in addition to initials or crests) that give you some ability to personalize the stamp for your receiver. For instance, if you were writing to Annadale (above poster) you might stamp his envelope with a big f*** Oscar the Grouch.
 

Alter

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Messages
4,539
Reaction score
147
Originally Posted by Mr T
For instance, if you were writing to Annadale (above poster) you might stamp his envelope with a big f*** Oscar the Grouch.
And I agree..in this day where the act of writing letters is so rare, there is a special feeling to receive something that has been prepared with such care and attention to detail.
 

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 17, 2008
Messages
30,507
Reaction score
6,143
Originally Posted by Annadale
Affected. It is nice that you take the time to handwrite letters, embossing the envelope is a touch too far. As for your friend who wax seals and impresses, who does he think he is, Little Lord fucking Fauntleroy? If they are mates, dump them!

WTF are you talking about?

Originally Posted by Alter


And I agree..in this day where the act of writing letters is so rare, there is a special feeling to receive something that has been prepared with such care and attention to detail.


This. Letters are about formality and etiquette. The embossing or sealing is a nice touch, go for it.
 

nootje

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2008
Messages
3,572
Reaction score
664
a friend of mine wanted a wax seal just for his tax returns.. typically, he usually didnt have to pay a dime
 

Korben

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2009
Messages
241
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the response and the difference of opinions is interesting. I don't think I will ever go to wax sealing but it did impress me. I may start embossing my initials just for a little extra extravagance.
 

TourbillonTurk.

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2010
Messages
178
Reaction score
3
mmmm "red wax seals" on quality paper.
 

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
10,051
Reaction score
312
Originally Posted by nootje
a friend of mine wanted a wax seal just for his tax returns.. typically, he usually didnt have to pay a dime

I seal mine with tears.
 

kungapa

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2010
Messages
838
Reaction score
26
Considering you take the time to write letters by hand, why not go balls to the wall with embossing and wax seals? You are halfway there already, and clearly should not give a shit what other people might think - you and your friends are having fun.
 

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
7,777
Reaction score
544
I've done it for years -- usually just the initial of my last name, but really, anything will do. I also handwrite, on very nice embossed paper, with a dip pen. It's extravagant, but shows that you went the extra mile.

~ H
 

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
10,051
Reaction score
312
I have wax and the embosing tool. Sadly I don't use them often enough.
 

Korben

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2009
Messages
241
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I've done it for years -- usually just the initial of my last name, but really, anything will do. I also handwrite, on very nice embossed paper, with a dip pen. It's extravagant, but shows that you went the extra mile.

~ H


Really a dip pen? Very nice. What type of pen?
 

juliette2000

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2010
Messages
111
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Korben
I have been writing hand written letters to several friends for a few years now. I have always used nice stationery. However, recently two of my correspondents have started embossing their envelopes. One simply embosses their initials just above where the envelope is sealed. The other places and embossed golden sticker with his initials. Also, another has starting wax sealing his envelopes with his single initial. I was wondering if anyone else does this and if so why and what do you think of these practices?

I had no idea guys did the was sealing thing. I thought it was strictly a girl thing.

I learn something new on this forum every time I stop by.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 10 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 42 15.3%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 86 31.4%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 51 18.6%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 19 6.9%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 18 6.6%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 6 2.2%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 12 4.4%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 100+

    Votes: 15 5.5%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,324
Messages
9,197,222
Members
193,159
Latest member
Darkishhaddock

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top