• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Entry level shoes

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a couple of pairs of shoes for work (new job). Budget ~£130 a pair

Dress code is the dreaded business casual, but i'm decided on a pair of suede wingtips and a pair of black oxfords.

Thoughts/opinions on the following:

Suede >> http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...ID=2&seconds=2

Oxfords>> http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0

I like the wingtips a lot, however the black oxfords seem a bit shiny and plasticky. Some other options for the oxfords in that price range would be appreciated.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should get $1500 shoes cause they're goodyear welted and will last longer 20x longer.
Regards,
-SF

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both of the above are Goodyear welted
facepalm.gif

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solid choice, seems you've done you're homework. Although I love Herring, this time Pediwear won the bid. Look for Loake Wells, it's the same cap-toe shoe but @125GBP including shoe trees.

emakris

Reaction score
I would take a look at what Loake and John Lewis (apparently made by Loake) have to offer. They are pretty decent for 100-150 quid; dare I say, better made than the £600 Gucci I saw the other day.

Edit: just realised, those Herring Oxfords are also made by Loake.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inimitable
I like the wingtips a lot, however the black oxfords seem a bit shiny and plasticky. Some other options for the oxfords in that price range would be appreciated.

It's only the picture, if they were plasticky polished leather it would say so. But it's full grain calf.

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
Solid choice, seems you've done you're homework. Although I love Herring, this time Pediwear won the bid. Look for Loake Wells, it's the same cap-toe shoe but @125GBP including shoe trees.

Perfect! These look like what i'm after. Does anyone know the difference between the Wells and the Aldwych?

Originally Posted by Jerome
I don't think that that one is too plastically but I personally would actually rather get this one by Church's though it may exceed your budget...

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0

Having seen this Church's model in person I know its a lovely shoe. Sadly outside my budget at the moment.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with the suede: at that discount it's a very good deal (have a pair from that line, compares quite well to Church's custom grade and C&J mainline). And it will work much better with business casual. It's a no brainer.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wells is on the 026 last, Aldwych is on Capital last. Capital last has chiseled toe, somewhat more elongated and for some looks sleeker.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads