• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Entry level shoes

sharpcelery

Reaction score
I searched and saw that a similar thread to this one has been done and met with a good response. Hopefully this won't seem too demanding.

My current shoe collection leaves a lot to be desired. I have:

Navy top-siders
BR desert boots in sand and beeswax
Red chucks (these are mostly used for lifting)
White Jack purcells

And then a couple of low quality shoes that don't deserve mention.

Obviously, these are all very casual shoes that work with chinos or jeans, but would look out of place with a suit. I'm looking, then, for some shoes to fill this gap.

Though they may not be the most formal of shoes, I do plan on purchasing some RM Williams Chelseas in Black. From what I've seen, these boots are pretty versatile and can be shined up to pair with a suit.

Beyond that, though, I only know what types of shoes I want, and not necessarily which maker i want them from. To be clear, I would like some captoe oxfords with brogueing and closed laces, preferably with a medallion. These, I think, should be a light brown. The Allen Edmonds Strand in chestnut immediately comes to mind here.

Second, I think a pair of burgundy wingtips would fit the bill nicely. These, too, should be brogued with closed laces. The Allen Edmonds Mcallister fits what I'm looking for.

My problem lies in the fact that I'm clueless about the alternatives to Allen Edmonds. That is to say, I'm under the impression that Loakes, Crocket and Jones Bench Grade, and Alden (though from what I've been reading, it seems these are more highly regarded than AE) are similar quality wise to the aforementioned shoes and florsheim are slightly below them. If that's the case, it seems that I could save some money going with Loakes through pediwear. Are there any possiblities I'm overlooking?

TL;DR Recommend me entry-level captoes and wingtips that won't break the bank (preferably sub $200).

who8mahrice

Reaction score
Grenson on sale (e.g. Noble at Winn Perry for half off at $125 right now).

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers non-peale on clearance can get into the $200 range. I would not buy Loake over AE. Plus, AE on sale can be as low as $100 for good shoes. I've never seen loake that cheap.

Also, look for sales on Magnani (Bologna construction, but very good value), Yanko, and there is another spanish brand that is Goodyear welted and starts with an "S" but I'm blanking.

Edit: Also, do a search on SF for "Eduardo G"... if you happen to find some, there are some SF folks (BigBris is one) who one and like them. From my cursory inspection in a store, they appeared to be a very good value (hence I asked the forum).

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
vintage nettletons and florsheims are fairly cheap on ebay, also gilt is having a ted baker shoe sale sometime this week (maybe today?) ...though i really wouldn't recommend a pair of tricker's as an entry level shoe, but i mean, they'll be considerably cheaper.

nonissue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
vintage nettletons and florsheims are fairly cheap on ebay, also gilt is having a ted baker shoe sale sometime this week (maybe today?) ...though i really wouldn't recommend a pair of tricker's as an entry level shoe, but i mean, they'll be considerably cheaper.

ted baker is tomorrow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads