• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Entry-level" high quality watches

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(globetrotter @ 28 Dec. 2004, 09:34)
Originally Posted by PHV,28 Dec. 2004, 08:47
Originally Posted by kolecho,28 Dec. 2004, 04:22
Try www.iwc.ch IWC is one of my favorites. Â They have a great sports line, but if you'd like to get an entry level dress watch, have a look at the IWC Portofino line that come with an ETA base. Â The Portofino has a quiet elegance about it. Â ETA base movements are workhorses, especially the 2892. Have a look out for Jaeger le Coultre Reverso. Â Its basic model is quite good value because it has a handwind in-house movement that is tailored to the shape of its rectangular shape. Â Rectangular watches make very classic dress watches. Â Have a look at Cartier Tank models also. Â They have several models that is powered by an ETA movements as well. Avoid quartz if you can help it, and get yourself a basic mechanical watch (with or without date) that is either an automatic or handwind. Have fun searching Â
smile.gif

I still don't understand why Quartz is to be avoided, if the design of the watch suit your needs?

you don't need to avoid quartz. but paying $500 or more for a quartz watch should be avoided. the differences in the mechanism don't warrent paying too much money for a quartz watch, you can get excellent watches cheaper.
Ok, now I finally understand. Would you rate Cartier quartz watches, though aesthetically appealing, to be poor value purchases?
good question 1. I would, personnaly, consider this a poor value 2. the workings are no better than many watches at a tenth of the price, and only marginally better than watches as 1/100 the price. 3. in terms of design, baume and mercier are owned by the same group and have very similar design, at about half the price 4. the big advantage is the name 5. that said, cartier tank watches are very attractive, and the name has good recognition 6. I think that a cartier tank automatic is a very nice watch, and I would lean toward buying one, in terms of overall package/cost. 7. you can get great looking quartz watches by hamilton and pulsar for a fraction of the cost, or by titan, swatch, or any number of other manufacturers.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(FCS @ 27 Dec. 2004, 7:57) I couldn't care less for movement engineering as long as it is accurate; and the cheaper the maintenance, the better. Outer designs and looks would be the main concern.
All Quartz movements are very accurate. Â A plastic watch from dollar store will be more accurate than expansive chrono-meter cirtified automatic movement watches. According to your description, I would buy a quartz movement watch. Â I do not know what kind of design you like, but since you do not mind quartz movement, have look at watches from Link of London, Gucci (high quality casing), MonteBlanc (Spell.), Dunhill, and Tissot.
I have seen some very nice pulsar quartz watches, too. a very wide range of designs. my first "adult" watch was a pulsar, and it looked great and worked well for longer than I needed it.

PHV

Reaction score
(PHV @ 28 Dec. 2004, 11:47)
Originally Posted by globetrotter,28 Dec. 2004, 09:34
Originally Posted by PHV,28 Dec. 2004, 08:47
Originally Posted by kolecho,28 Dec. 2004, 04:22
Try www.iwc.ch IWC is one of my favorites. Â They have a great sports line, but if you'd like to get an entry level dress watch, have a look at the IWC Portofino line that come with an ETA base. Â The Portofino has a quiet elegance about it. Â ETA base movements are workhorses, especially the 2892. Have a look out for Jaeger le Coultre Reverso. Â Its basic model is quite good value because it has a handwind in-house movement that is tailored to the shape of its rectangular shape. Â Rectangular watches make very classic dress watches. Â Have a look at Cartier Tank models also. Â They have several models that is powered by an ETA movements as well. Avoid quartz if you can help it, and get yourself a basic mechanical watch (with or without date) that is either an automatic or handwind. Have fun searching Â
smile.gif

I still don't understand why Quartz is to be avoided, if the design of the watch suit your needs?

you don't need to avoid quartz. but paying $500 or more for a quartz watch should be avoided. the differences in the mechanism don't warrent paying too much money for a quartz watch, you can get excellent watches cheaper.

Ok, now I finally understand. Would you rate Cartier quartz watches, though aesthetically appealing, to be poor value purchases?
good question 1. I would, personnaly, consider this a poor value 2. the workings are no better than many watches at a tenth of the price, and only marginally better than watches as 1/100 the price. 3. in terms of design, baume and mercier are owned by the same group and have very similar design, at about half the price 4. the big advantage is the name 5. that said, cartier tank watches are very attractive, and the name has good recognition 6. I think that a cartier tank automatic is a very nice watch, and I would lean toward buying one, in terms of overall package/cost. 7. you can get great looking quartz watches by hamilton and pulsar for a fraction of the cost, or by titan, swatch, or any number of other manufacturers.
I am not in the least concerned with brand recognition, so perhaps I'll take that into consideration. How much is a JL reverso? It's a nice tank type watch. I still think the Tank Francais is the best of the best in apperance, and I am really looking at a Cartier Roadster chronograph quite seriously...

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please do you research before buying. The Tank Francaisse, JLC Reverso, and Roadster Chrono are three VERY different timepieces. The S/S Reverso with leather band starts around $4-4500 (US), and is similar in size and distantly related to the Tank Francaisse in overall aesthetic (simple tank, with no additional complications--please excuse me WIS). On the other hand, the Roadster is a freaking square behemoth. It's almost as thick as a deck of playing cards--no, not my cup of tea at all....

Ranjeev

Reaction score
I am currently in the market for a nice watch as well. I have it narrowed down to a Oris or Baume. I'll probably go with a metal Oris band and probably use the saved money to buy a Tissot. FCS, know of any good places in Toronto to get a watch on the cheap? I bought a Tissot a couple of years back from a place on Kipling for about 40% off retail, no tax, cash and I might call them to see if they carry more high-end watches.

PHV

Reaction score
Please do you research before buying.  The Tank Francaisse, JLC Reverso, and Roadster Chrono are three VERY different timepieces.  The S/S Reverso with leather band starts around $4-4500 (US), and is similar in size and distantly related to the Tank Francaisse in overall aesthetic (simple tank, with no additional complications--please excuse me WIS). On the other hand, the Roadster is a freaking square behemoth.  It's almost as thick as a deck of playing  cards--no, not my cup of tea at all....
I am well aware of the differences, I am just interested in all of them. Abviously the Roadster for different purpose. I am a big framed guy, so a little postage stamp is not what I need. The Tank frank is almost too small for me.

Ranjeev

Reaction score
FCS, no Oris or Baume watches but they do have Movado and all models are 50%. PM if you want the address or number.

fkl118

Reaction score
I see a lot of places around TO with 40-50% off Movado and other watches almost all the time. I'm not sure what the real price of these watches are anymore.

paul44

Reaction score
Try the Baume et Mercier Classima series. 8069 is a good simple quartz with 18k gold and a croc. strap that goes for about $930 from the discount houses (I guess it's about $970 now). Try Atlantictime.com for a reputable dealer. That's if you want a Swiss name and nice, new look.

I think watches and cufflinks -- all jewelry -- looks gaudy when new, however. I don't buy anything post-1955. Vintage is less conspicuous and far more refined-looking, even if the brand isn't much of anything. I constantly have my eyes on the used gold Lord Elgins and regular Elgins from the 30s, 40s and 50s at Ebay. Selling for $75 to $250. Very cool stuff. Even JFK wore a Lord Elgin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads