• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Entry-level" high quality watches

PHV

Reaction score
Try www.iwc.ch IWC is one of my favorites. Â They have a great sports line, but if you'd like to get an entry level dress watch, have a look at the IWC Portofino line that come with an ETA base. Â The Portofino has a quiet elegance about it. Â ETA base movements are workhorses, especially the 2892. Have a look out for Jaeger le Coultre Reverso. Â Its basic model is quite good value because it has a handwind in-house movement that is tailored to the shape of its rectangular shape. Â Rectangular watches make very classic dress watches. Â Have a look at Cartier Tank models also. Â They have several models that is powered by an ETA movements as well. Avoid quartz if you can help it, and get yourself a basic mechanical watch (with or without date) that is either an automatic or handwind. Have fun searching Â
smile.gif
I still don't understand why Quartz is to be avoided, if the design of the watch suit your needs?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll second Omega. I've got a Seamaster Professional -- one of the automatic (not quartz) ones. It's stainless steel with a black (or dark navy) face and navy blue surrounding the crystal. Classic, very rugged and relatively cheap -- under $1,000.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(kolecho @ 28 Dec. 2004, 04:22) Try www.iwc.ch IWC is one of my favorites. Â They have a great sports line, but if you'd like to get an entry level dress watch, have a look at the IWC Portofino line that come with an ETA base. Â The Portofino has a quiet elegance about it. Â ETA base movements are workhorses, especially the 2892. Have a look out for Jaeger le Coultre Reverso. Â Its basic model is quite good value because it has a handwind in-house movement that is tailored to the shape of its rectangular shape. Â Rectangular watches make very classic dress watches. Â Have a look at Cartier Tank models also. Â They have several models that is powered by an ETA movements as well. Avoid quartz if you can help it, and get yourself a basic mechanical watch (with or without date) that is either an automatic or handwind. Have fun searching Â
smile.gif

I still don't understand why Quartz is to be avoided, if the design of the watch suit your needs?
you don't need to avoid quartz. but paying $500 or more for a quartz watch should be avoided. the differences in the mechanism don't warrent paying too much money for a quartz watch, you can get excellent watches cheaper.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on your price range and particular needs (dress, casual, etc.), I'll second (or third) the recommendation for Hamilton. The Hamilton "Kahaki" is a nicely designed plain watch that uses a bomb-proof, but not fancy, movement, and can be had for around $500. Pair it with a good band, and you're in business.

For around a thousand, you're into the Tag Heuer "retro" issues. Again, nothing fancy, but great designs and simple workhorse movements.

A touch more money and you're into Omega sportwatch territory, and workhorse movements that have undergone some sensible refinement, along with really well executed cases, and a marque that will need no explanation in any company.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with quartz watches, but generally if I'm going to spend more than $1000 on a watch I'd prefer the movement to be automatic so as to get a better value.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a Tissot with automatic movement, a Ballade/leather band. I'm very happy with it (swiss made, sapphire crystal) and it cost under $300 with a discount from a jeweler friend of my family. No idea what they cost now. I bought it about four years ago and it has held up remarkably well.

I am not an expert in the least, but I like it a lot.

FCS

Reaction score
Gents, thank you very much for the responses. I still haven't read the details and I need to catch my shoe supplier before he closes, but certainly will do so afterwards.

In the meantime, what do you guys think as the fair value of Movado watches, say the Valor (tungsten carbide), Visio, and Classic Museum lines. And what do you think of the value for money of Omega watches in general, relative to their craftmanship and quality? From what I understand (and that's very limited) they seem to make quite a number of non-automatic watches.

ViroBono

Reaction score
There are often nice watches in the Sales section of this watch forum: TZ-UK

PHV

Reaction score
(PHV @ 28 Dec. 2004, 08:47)
Originally Posted by kolecho,28 Dec. 2004, 04:22
Try www.iwc.ch IWC is one of my favorites. Â They have a great sports line, but if you'd like to get an entry level dress watch, have a look at the IWC Portofino line that come with an ETA base. Â The Portofino has a quiet elegance about it. Â ETA base movements are workhorses, especially the 2892. Have a look out for Jaeger le Coultre Reverso. Â Its basic model is quite good value because it has a handwind in-house movement that is tailored to the shape of its rectangular shape. Â Rectangular watches make very classic dress watches. Â Have a look at Cartier Tank models also. Â They have several models that is powered by an ETA movements as well. Avoid quartz if you can help it, and get yourself a basic mechanical watch (with or without date) that is either an automatic or handwind. Have fun searching Â
smile.gif

you don't need to avoid quartz. but paying $500 or more for a quartz watch should be avoided. the differences in the mechanism don't warrent paying too much money for a quartz watch, you can get excellent watches cheaper.
Ok, now I finally understand. Would you rate Cartier quartz watches, though aesthetically appealing, to be poor value purchases?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you like the watch and it's reliable, that's all that really matters, but you may want to look at the cartier watches with ETA movements (Cartier/Bvlgari GP)

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that I'm moving to a more casual workplace, I'm looking at much the same thing-- a nice sports watch that looks good, but also that I'll be happy with. Here's what I'm looking at right now (I'm nervous about buying watches-- easily faked-- on ebay, and I think it's really necessary to spend 900-1200 to get a quality watch. a lot, I know-- but it WILL BE WORTH IT...) http://www.watchclick.com/tag-heu....85.html http://www.watchclick.com/tag-heu....87.html http://www.watchclick.com/omega/i-om...-men-1258.html http://www.watchclick.com/omega/i-om...-men-1259.html I bought my JLC reverso from these guys (www.watchclick.com), and liked them a lot. Now, if I can just pay off a new watch over two months time....

ChuckE

Reaction score
I searched for a watch two years ago. I wanted swiss; good quality but not ostentatious; nor too brand flamboyant like the gucci. I bought a silver Raymond Weil and I am very happy with it; and I get many compliments. The Parsifal series can be accquired on sale for about $1200 but the Tango series is much less; you can get one for about $500 which is the low end of Raymond Weil. I suspect that most people that see it assume I am wearing the Parsifal.

I don't know what the others think of Raymond Weil; but I thought it was a good choice.

Chuck

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were to choose between Omega and Movado, I'd opt for the Omega rather than the Movado--the Museum timepieces are simply too iconic and borderline bling. Spend a little time reading Timezone if you get a chance before you make your purchase. I originally considered buying a Cartier or a Dunhill, but found myself purchasing a used Zenith Elite or IWC Portofino in the end.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were to choose between Omega and Movado, I'd opt for the Omega rather than the Movado--the Museum timepieces are simply too iconic and borderline bling.  Spend a little time reading Timezone if you get a chance before you make your purchase.  I originally considered buying a Cartier or a Dunhill, but found myself purchasing a used Zenith Elite or IWC Portofino in the end.
Well said.

Personally, I've never been able to get past the appearance of Movado's vaunted "museum watch". Just different strokes for different folks.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldn't care less for movement engineering as long as it is accurate; and the cheaper the maintenance, the better. Outer designs and looks would be the main concern.
All Quartz movements are very accurate. A plastic watch from dollar store will be more accurate than expansive chrono-meter cirtified automatic movement watches.

According to your description, I would buy a quartz movement watch. I do not know what kind of design you like, but since you do not mind quartz movement, have look at watches from Link of London, Gucci (high quality casing), MonteBlanc (Spell.), Dunhill, and Tissot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads