• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

entry level goodyear welt or blake stitch shoes $200 - $400

MISAOK

Reaction score
Greetings forum members,

I've decided that I need some real shoes. The mall bought glued shoes have served me well over the years, but we've all got to grow up sometime.

I know Allen Edmonds is a popular entry point for this level of shoe, but the style is just a bit too bulky for me.

Youtube reviewers (paid agents?) seem to rave about Ace Marks and Shoe Passion. Meermin gets mentioned a lot. Undandy has taken over my facebook feed. Does anybody have any experience with these brands? Anywhere else I should look?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should take a look at Skoaktiebolaget's new house brand Löf & Tung. First impressions are that the shoes are excellent value for the money, and a cut above the likes of Meermin. I have two pair (although one pair is so recently acquired that I have not worn them yet), and, for the money, they seem hard to beat.

Patek14

Reaction score
I know Allen Edmonds is a popular entry point for this level of shoe, but the style is just a bit too bulky for me.

Youtube reviewers (paid agents?) seem to rave about Ace Marks and Shoe Passion. Meermin gets mentioned a lot. Undandy has taken over my facebook feed. Does anybody have any experience with these brands? Anywhere else I should look?

Your budget is $200-400.

Suggestion #1- Loake 1880. Similar entry point to Allen Edmonds mainline with much better QC standards. Retails for a lot less. 1 US retailer is east dane if you have amazon prime...

Suggestion #2 - Shipton's models made by Crockett and Jones. Not made to the same standard as mainline crockett but a lot cheaper.

Avoids:
  1. I detest Ace Marks. They are really expensive. Those people on youtube who hock thier crap seem seedy.
  2. Meermin is a good deal but there QC has been noted to be too inconsistent. Return shipping makes it too risky.
Where do you live? That is a factor. And BTW if your budget is in fact $400 you might want to wait for a sale. you'd be able to grab something from a mid tier on sale for $400

Anubis

Reaction score
In addition to those mentioned above, Herring Shoes also have some models within budget, and are good quality. Afinepairofshoes have Berwick shoes - I have 3 pairs of these and am very pleased with them, but note that they are quite narrow fitting (which suits me) - and as an SF member you will get a discount.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would the same manufacturers listed above hold true for 3E width? AE so far is the only one in that price range with a number of shoes available in 3E with a number of different lasts that I have found so far.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two good options from Sweden (where you can also deduct the 25% VAT):

Webstore Skolyx has just launched its own range of Goodeyar welted shoes made in Spain, leather from European tanneries like Annonay, thin city rubber soles, leather board heel stiffeners etc. I wear my regular size in these. Excellent quality for the price of $191 excl. VAT (€217 incl. VAT).

Some of Skolyx models:
IMG_1984.jpg

Another brand in same price range is Myrqvist. Also Goodyear welted, made in Portugal with European full grain leather. These are a bit small in size, recommend to size up one size. Both these brands' shoes are comfortable and quite easy to break in.

One of Myrqvist models:
28423760_1990781064574473_7464402050165886888_o.jpg

Last edited:

MISAOK

Reaction score
Thanks for the great pointers everybody! Many of these options look amazing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads