• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Entry level dress shoes

jammyo40

Reaction score

Weird hearing C&J's bantered about as a "starter" shoe.  And here I thought I was doing quite well by them, thank you very much. 
shog%5B1%5D.gif

Well that's SF for ya..

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'd expect if you went to a dealer of high end shoes like JL or EG they should make sure you walk out of their store with a pair of shoes that fits, no?
(I should warn those reading this thread I have no experience with JL or EG, but I have been to places that sold such shoes - namely Sky Valet in DC and Leffot in NYC - and would trust the people there to get me in the right size)

i dunno, tell me.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Weird hearing C&J's bantered about as a "starter" shoe.  And here I thought I was doing quite well by them, thank you very much. 
shog%5B1%5D.gif

There is absolutely no shame at all in wearing C&J and nothing else. Very well made and attractive shoes. My point is just, if you're thinking of replacing with EG/JL in the not too distant future, why buy the C&J only to wear for a year or two?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You're suggesting that fit matters more for shoes than other things? I'd definitely disagree. For longevity maybe but not appearance.

we can stop here...

jammyo40

Reaction score

You're suggesting that fit matters more for shoes than other things? I'd definitely disagree. For longevity maybe but not appearance.

Wouldn't an ill-fitting shoe develop more unsightly creasing than a well fitted shoe?

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Wouldn't an ill-fitting shoe develop more unsightly creasing than a well fitted shoe?

Yes. But the perils of an ill-fitting jacket are worse. I guess this argument is just semantic as there's no way to compare an equally ill-fitting jacket and shoe as it's apples to oranges, but to me someone in a poorly fitting jacket but well-fitting shoes is always going to look worse than someone in a well fitting jacket but poorly fitted shoes.

Geran Brown

Reaction score
Srsly? Use trees, condition and polish. It's not rocket science. Take to local cobbler to watch the first cpl times if you're worried about it. There's not much a non-idiot could do wrong that couldn't be fixed.
This is good advice. Thank you...I'm not used to this so I'm learning as I go. I've never used trees or even polished a pair for shoes before. Your advice on the cobbler is definitely something I am going to do just so I can learn. Maybe to some it is everyday knowledge but to others it could seem like rocket science :)
This is the first time I heard a new comer start with Green or JL for shoes, rock on
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Haha! What would you recommend for a new comer?
^ This. And I guess using a shoe horn goes without saying.
I'll definitely have to get me a decent quality shoe horn. Thanks :)

I'd expect if you went to a dealer of high end shoes like JL or EG they should make sure you walk out of their store with a pair of shoes that fits, no? (I should warn those reading this thread I have no experience with JL or EG, but I have been to places that sold such shoes - namely Sky Valet in DC and Leffot in NYC - and would trust the people there to get me in the right size)
I currently live in Maryland but work in downtown DC. The reason I started this thread was because I went into the Allen Edmonds store this past Friday and almost walked out with a pair of brand new Strands but then I thought I should ask so I wouldn't waste my money. I heard of Sky Valet in DC but never been, if I remember correctly they are located just down the street from the guy I get my suits/shirts at. I've made a note for myself to visit Leffot next time I am in New York...heard great things about them.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
First, the strands aren't a waste of money unless you plan to buy a similar shoe of higher quality shortly thereafter. Sky Valet is on Wisconsin - near William Field's shop, if that's your tailor. I'd suggest going there and having a look, talking to them, trying on some EG. FYI, they can do made to order on any of the shoe styles for an additional charge. I think it's $150 but I could be wrong, can't remember exactly.

Geran Brown

Reaction score
First, the strands aren't a waste of money unless you plan to buy a similar shoe of higher quality shortly thereafter. Sky Valet is on Wisconsin - near William Field's shop, if that's your tailor. I'd suggest going there and having a look, talking to them, trying on some EG. FYI, they can do made to order on any of the shoe styles for an additional charge. I think it's $150 but I could be wrong, can't remember exactly.
I didn't say Strands were a waste of money...just I didn't want to waste money without the knowledge first. I wish Williams Field's was my tailor...I thought SV was located somewhere else. If I did buy the Strands then I wouldn't buy a similar shoe to them. That would be stupid of me. Pretty much the first time this shoe will be worn would be out with the new girlfriend on a date that requires me to wear a suit and tie (no objections). I've never owned a nice pair of dress shoes before so I'm looking for something that will last for many years to come and go well with all my suits at some point in time.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haha! What would you recommend for a new comer?

Usually first time posters come in thinking $100 or $200 is a high end shoe, and have to be talked up to Allen Edmonds. Not a whole lot of men even have an appreciation of what a good shoe looks like these days, unfortunately.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I didn't say Strands were a waste of money...just I didn't want to waste money without the knowledge first.

As a general rule, this is a wise approach to anything. However, the strands are not a waste of money by any means and a fine shoe. Even if you do move up to other shoes such as JL/G&G/C&J, the strand would be out of place in your shoe collection.

Geran Brown

Reaction score
Usually first time posters come in thinking $100 or $200 is a high end shoe, and have to be talked up to Allen Edmonds. Not a whole lot of men even have an appreciation of what a good shoe looks like these days, unfortunately.
I don't want to be one of those men. I appreciate the finer things in life for sure hence why I am here :). I've done research prior to his and know that high end shoes easily start just south of $500 and there are very few that fit into that category. It was funny because I was talking with one of my coworkers who dresses decently and he recommend Cole Haans as high expensive shoes and said he wouldn't spend more than $200 on a pair.
As a general rule, this is a wise approach to anything. However, the strands are not a waste of money by any means and a fine shoe. Even if you do move up to other shoes such as JL/G&G/C&J, the strand would be out of place in your shoe collection.
Did you mean they wouldn't be out of place? Again I didn't say the Strands were a waste of money.
deadhorse-a.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads