Entry level dress shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Geran Brown, Apr 28, 2012.

1. jammyo40

jammyo40 Well-Known Member

Well that's SF for ya..

2. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

i dunno, tell me.

3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

it has the most effect with shoes, though. you can agree?

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

There is absolutely no shame at all in wearing C&J and nothing else. Very well made and attractive shoes. My point is just, if you're thinking of replacing with EG/JL in the not too distant future, why buy the C&J only to wear for a year or two?

5. unbelragazzo

You're suggesting that fit matters more for shoes than other things? I'd definitely disagree. For longevity maybe but not appearance.

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

we can stop here...

7. jammyo40

jammyo40 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't an ill-fitting shoe develop more unsightly creasing than a well fitted shoe?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012

8. unbelragazzo

Yes. But the perils of an ill-fitting jacket are worse. I guess this argument is just semantic as there's no way to compare an equally ill-fitting jacket and shoe as it's apples to oranges, but to me someone in a poorly fitting jacket but well-fitting shoes is always going to look worse than someone in a well fitting jacket but poorly fitted shoes.

9. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

I disagree, ill fitting shoes are worse than an ill fitting jacket. They cause much more trouble.

10. Geran Brown

Geran Brown Senior member

This is good advice. Thank you...I'm not used to this so I'm learning as I go. I've never used trees or even polished a pair for shoes before. Your advice on the cobbler is definitely something I am going to do just so I can learn. Maybe to some it is everyday knowledge but to others it could seem like rocket science :)
    Haha! What would you recommend for a new comer?
    I'll definitely have to get me a decent quality shoe horn. Thanks :)

I currently live in Maryland but work in downtown DC. The reason I started this thread was because I went into the Allen Edmonds store this past Friday and almost walked out with a pair of brand new Strands but then I thought I should ask so I wouldn't waste my money. I heard of Sky Valet in DC but never been, if I remember correctly they are located just down the street from the guy I get my suits/shirts at. I've made a note for myself to visit Leffot next time I am in New York...heard great things about them.

11. unbelragazzo

First, the strands aren't a waste of money unless you plan to buy a similar shoe of higher quality shortly thereafter. Sky Valet is on Wisconsin - near William Field's shop, if that's your tailor. I'd suggest going there and having a look, talking to them, trying on some EG. FYI, they can do made to order on any of the shoe styles for an additional charge. I think it's $150 but I could be wrong, can't remember exactly.

12. Geran Brown

I didn't say Strands were a waste of money...just I didn't want to waste money without the knowledge first. I wish Williams Field's was my tailor...I thought SV was located somewhere else. If I did buy the Strands then I wouldn't buy a similar shoe to them. That would be stupid of me. Pretty much the first time this shoe will be worn would be out with the new girlfriend on a date that requires me to wear a suit and tie (no objections). I've never owned a nice pair of dress shoes before so I'm looking for something that will last for many years to come and go well with all my suits at some point in time.

13. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Usually first time posters come in thinking $100 or $200 is a high end shoe, and have to be talked up to Allen Edmonds. Not a whole lot of men even have an appreciation of what a good shoe looks like these days, unfortunately.

14. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

As a general rule, this is a wise approach to anything. However, the strands are not a waste of money by any means and a fine shoe. Even if you do move up to other shoes such as JL/G&G/C&J, the strand would be out of place in your shoe collection.

15. Geran Brown

I don't want to be one of those men. I appreciate the finer things in life for sure hence why I am here :). I've done research prior to his and know that high end shoes easily start just south of $500 and there are very few that fit into that category. It was funny because I was talking with one of my coworkers who dresses decently and he recommend Cole Haans as high expensive shoes and said he wouldn't spend more than $200 on a pair.
    Did you mean they wouldn't be out of place? Again I didn't say the Strands were a waste of money. [​IMG]