• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Entry Level Dress Shoes in Canada

quiksliver

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some brown/dark brown entry level dress shoes that I can buy in Canada (in store in the GTA or online). I am a university student and go to a lot of info sessions and conferences so I want these to last for a while and am willing to pay around 125-175 CAD for a decent pair. Any brands or stores I should check out?

thanks

quiksliver

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dpopat
Aldo is highly regarded as being top of the line on these forums. You can't go wrong with a nice square toed slip on.

haha, in fact, my only pair of dress shoes are aldo square toed slip ons, hence why I want some new ones

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$175 is tough. I guess if you have to buy new at that limit, your best bet is the Bay (KC or JM), Gravity Pope as mentioned earlier (Fluevog or Grenson on sale?) or Town Shoes (house brand is really cheap, Cole Haan).

phailing101

Reaction score
Definitely hit ebay and try to get some Allen Edmonds.

Otherwise, you should be able to score some Johnson & Murphys on ebay or other sites. Nowhere near as nice as AEs but good for that price point IMO.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Herring shoes from the UK will do much better then what you can buy local in Canada.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Canuker
Herring shoes from the UK will do much better then what you can buy local in Canada.

Uh which shoe? They are all $300cdn up...plus customs fees.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dude.............find some Cole Haans or Allen Edmonds you like, confirm your size, and PM me. I'll proxy you a pair.

That's about as good as you can do on that budget (which isn't bad at all).

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
That is a tricky price point. Ebay is a good option if you have some patience. You can find an occassional really good deal from a good maker at the upper end of you budget including shipping. AE is always available in good quantities.

Also try Jackson Shoes on Ebay, some decent offerings in that price range.

If you need something right away, I am thinking Boxing Day could be your friend.

Or maybe save up and in the short term check out some Florsheim or Bostonian. I cannot believe I am actually recommending these??

But keep them polished and in trees you will look like a University student who is actually making an effort as opposed to your Aldo & Kenneth Cole wearing bretheren.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, tough price point, and tough market unfortunately.
Harry Rosen's outlet has a few AE and Ferragamo's for $250 if I'm not mistaken.
A notch below that is Cole Haan, which they also carry (no idea about the price)

Herring has a sale going right now, but without trying on, I wouldn't risk it.
J & M at the Bay at least look smart from eye level, so it might fit the bill.

What size do you wear? (weird size = better (but rarer) deals)

henrikc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Canuker
Was about to suggest Herring, but it's a stretch.
Would recommend Herring Classic Collection over Graduate Collection, the shoes from the Classic Collection are made mostly by Loake in the UK, and the cheaper ones from Graduacte Collection are made overseas in "Loake"-factories.

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0

Since you're buying from Canada you won't have to pay VAT (17.5%) on them, so they're ~190 AUD before shipping and customs.
My experience is that Herring usually marks down the value to 50%, so it won't be that bad even with excessive import duties (we have the same in Norway). Sure, it's a stretch for your budget, but you do get brand new shoes and they always pack some shoe polish with your purchases.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Used Allan Edmonds off eBay. This is the only answer necessary. There are no other choices. Expect to spend about $100 max. Buy Park Aves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads