• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Entry Level Box of Cigars

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
Keep in mind its an epensive habit to get into. starts small, but soon youre looking at lighters for $1,000 and cutters of different varieties....then humidors...then more expensive cigars..then cubans...then aged cubans...then you find someone who has 3 boxes of perfectly aged montecristos that are older than you and still moist as (insert dirty joke here)....Not to mention the countless hours spent trying to perfectly calibrate the humidor to a 74% humidity level...the barometer that comes with the humidor will need replaced, and only the best will do...

crazy.gif

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
crazy.gif

say whaaaaaaaat?? how do you store yours?

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
65% brother. Hasn't hurt me, or any of my cigars, cuban or not.

Also, because OP is new, a piece of advice: The Rimowa travel humidor looks nice, but you can do a lot better with $675. especially for a 10 count travel humidor. Like buy a Dupont Ligne 2.

but for the advice the OP was looking for, I got into cigars about 18 months ago, and took a major plunge in. My advice to you is go to a (GOOD) nearby cigar store, and become a regular there. Go off the advice of the guys at the store, and learn what you like and don't like in cigars. Find your preferences, then go online and find cigars that are similar to those. Some cigars (cubans, limited editions, and some boutique cigars) you can really only find online, but most of the mainstream stuff you'll find in any reputable cigar store. Find what you like, then branch out from there, buy boxes, get humidor(s), spend $xxx on lighters, cutters, travel humidors, cigar cases.

Also, here's a friendly piece of advice: The best butane for the price is Vector, and Palio cutters are superb, especially given their ~$40 price.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
I am just not a big fan of their cigars, they are overprice and over-marketed. They will have a good stick every now and then, but they are mostly crap.

A good rule of them is you can never go wrong with Padron or Pepin. Padron is a brand and Pepin is Don Pepin Garcia, he is a master blender behind such brands as Tatuaje, Don Pepin Garcia, Cabaiguán, and Padilla (although he is no longer blending for them).

I agree with all of this, but there is one Gurkha that I would recommend, the Evil. It's a terrific cigar, and well priced.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish

Also, because OP is new, a piece of advice: The Rimowa travel humidor looks nice, but you can do a lot better with $675. especially for a 10 count travel humidor. Like buy a Dupont Ligne 2.

but for the advice the OP was looking for, I got into cigars about 18 months ago, and took a major plunge in. My advice to you is go to a (GOOD) nearby cigar store, and become a regular there. Go off the advice of the guys at the store, and learn what you like and don't like in cigars. Find your preferences, then go online and find cigars that are similar to those. Some cigars (cubans, limited editions, and some boutique cigars) you can really only find online, but most of the mainstream stuff you'll find in any reputable cigar store. Find what you like, then branch out from there, buy boxes, get humidor(s), spend $xxx on lighters, cutters, travel humidors, cigar cases.

Also, here's a friendly piece of advice: The best butane for the price is Vector, and Palio cutters are superb, especially given their ~$40 price.

ive always kept mine at 74...which was a pain to keep up.

great advice here....also another bump for the Palio cutters....none better in that price range. I still have one of my old ones laying around.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
say whaaaaaaaat?? how do you store yours?

Originally Posted by Krish the Fish

I do 70% using Heartfelt beads (that Krish recommended, thanks broski!), but 65% works too - just personal preference. Vector is the ****, be sure to buy it. You'd be amazed at what a difference good butane makes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads