• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Entry-level Black Dress Shoe

thekosmicdesign

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm new to this site and there is a wealth of info that I'm grateful for. Anyway, I don't wear suits often, so I've had some crappy square toe Kenneth Cole's in my shoe closet that I would bring out once in a while. Now that I own a couple pairs of Cole Haan casual shoes, the KC's look ugly and I can't bear to wear them again with a suit. :) I have some weddings, possible interviews, and other social functions that may require some dress shoes in the near future.

What are some good ones? Are Allen Edmond Park Avenue's a good entry-level shoe? Do nicer shoes come with shoe trees and are they needed? I also need to read up on how to care for the shoes (saw something about S___ Renovateur? Can't remember the name).

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should be able to pick up Goodyear Welted Cole Hanns @ Norstrom Rack for much less than $100. Or AE Park Avenue from the bay for around $100 if you are diligent. Don't worry about renovator and all those bullcrap. If you can't raise a shine w/ Kiwi, using Saphir isn't going to be much bette.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try to grab some allen edmonds seconds on sale, like the one they are having now. You can land decent shoes for $150-200 and most seconds don't have any visible defects. Strands and Kenilworths look like they are included at the moment. The most basic black dress shoe would probably be the park or 5th aves, as mentioned above. Try calling the local AE factory stores and ask what they have.

The other option is to grab some from the brooks brothers sale, which basically has rebadged AE's with a more padded insole/topied outsole but they will be ~ $250 even with the upcoming 30% off. They also have rebadged crockett and jones but these are priced higher.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads