• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Entrees break $40 in many merely expensive restaurants

mussel

Reaction score
We are not talking about Michelin starred restaurants like Daniel, Masa, or the French Laundry... we are talking about many merely expensive restaurants around the country:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/21/di...=1&oref=slogin

This appetizer with 1.75 oz. worth of lobster meat costs over $40:

21plate600.1.jpg

More examples of entree north of $40:

21plate_graphic.jpg

The Dover sole (no, not the sole of a popular Edward Green model) looks ordinary to me.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Okay, these 'entrees' aren't really 'entrees' are they? To me, entrees are appetizers or starters, these seem to be main meals although the portions are on the mean side. Apologies if you regard 'entrees' as 'main meals'
smile.gif

Prices do seem high, though the ingredients aren't exactly cheap. My last meal out was at Smith and Wollensky's in NYC, I had a 16oz steak that cost 43usd (before tax and tips). It was wonderful and I thought it was worth every penny, sorry, cent.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually entrÃ
00a9.png
e's are the main course, not the appetizers (hors d’oeuvres).

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Actually entrÃ
00a9.png
e's are the main course, not the appetizers (hors d'oeuvres).

Ah, I forget that this is American
blush.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
Ah, I forget that this is American
blush.gif

I'm sure someone will post a lengthy diatribe as to how the main course came to be incorrectly called the entree here in the US. Thats not what I do here, so I'll leave it up to someone else. But regardless of what anyone tells you, the real reason is this: its really just us messing with the french.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I'm sure someone will post a lengthy diatribe as to how the main course came to be incorrectly called the entree here in the US. Thats not what I do here, so I'll leave it up to someone else. But regardless of what anyone tells you, the real reason is this: its really just us messing with the french.

No problems with messing with the French
lol8[1].gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When you go to an expensive restaurant you're paying for more than just the food. Whether any particular restaurant can justify its prices must be decided on a case by case basis. Some of these restaurants are bound to be mediocre.The very best restaurants in canada do have entrÃ
00a9.png
es in the $40+ range but they're still not as expensive as their american counterparts.

Like anything else, do your homework before spending your money if you're that concerned about it. I tend to read chowhound and egullet for restaurant reviews and have rarely spent money on a meal that I felt was wasted.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
and the food above are not really impressive at all.

kennethpollock

Reaction score
It is not civilized to call the plat an entree'. Everryone should know what the entree' means.
These prices are not high for the main dish. At the Michelin *** Le Gran Vefour in Paris all the desserts have the same price; 28 Euros ($36.50).
http://www.relaischateaux.com/vefour

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads