• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 2: MTM Shirts courtesy of Drinkwaters

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 1st auction of the year is for a Goodies from No Man Walks Alone. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Entrees break $40 in many merely expensive restaurants

mussel

Reaction score
We are not talking about Michelin starred restaurants like Daniel, Masa, or the French Laundry... we are talking about many merely expensive restaurants around the country:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/21/di...=1&oref=slogin

This appetizer with 1.75 oz. worth of lobster meat costs over $40:

More examples of entree north of $40:

The Dover sole (no, not the sole of a popular Edward Green model) looks ordinary to me.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Okay, these 'entrees' aren't really 'entrees' are they? To me, entrees are appetizers or starters, these seem to be main meals although the portions are on the mean side. Apologies if you regard 'entrees' as 'main meals'

Prices do seem high, though the ingredients aren't exactly cheap. My last meal out was at Smith and Wollensky's in NYC, I had a 16oz steak that cost 43usd (before tax and tips). It was wonderful and I thought it was worth every penny, sorry, cent.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually entrÃ
e's are the main course, not the appetizers (hors d’oeuvres).

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Actually entrÃ
e's are the main course, not the appetizers (hors d'oeuvres).

Ah, I forget that this is American

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
Ah, I forget that this is American

I'm sure someone will post a lengthy diatribe as to how the main course came to be incorrectly called the entree here in the US. Thats not what I do here, so I'll leave it up to someone else. But regardless of what anyone tells you, the real reason is this: its really just us messing with the french.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I'm sure someone will post a lengthy diatribe as to how the main course came to be incorrectly called the entree here in the US. Thats not what I do here, so I'll leave it up to someone else. But regardless of what anyone tells you, the real reason is this: its really just us messing with the french.

No problems with messing with the French

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When you go to an expensive restaurant you're paying for more than just the food. Whether any particular restaurant can justify its prices must be decided on a case by case basis. Some of these restaurants are bound to be mediocre.The very best restaurants in canada do have entrÃ
es in the $40+ range but they're still not as expensive as their american counterparts.

Like anything else, do your homework before spending your money if you're that concerned about it. I tend to read chowhound and egullet for restaurant reviews and have rarely spent money on a meal that I felt was wasted.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
and the food above are not really impressive at all.

kennethpollock

Reaction score
It is not civilized to call the plat an entree'. Everryone should know what the entree' means.
These prices are not high for the main dish. At the Michelin *** Le Gran Vefour in Paris all the desserts have the same price; 28 Euros ($36.50).
http://www.relaischateaux.com/vefour

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 128 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 234 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 115 15.7%