• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Enthusiast's starter guide to mtm / bespoke suiting

danysf

Reaction score
Hi,

I've started following the forum (randomly) some time ago, but haven't found an easy starter's guide to suiting, at least from the perspective of someone willing to go mtm / bespoke.

My situation is a bit particular: I've owned cheap suits since I started working (6 years ago), but have a wonderful tailor that modified all of them so they fit perfectly (I don't know much about suiting, but fit I know very well). Their fabric is full of taste, but of medium to low quality; some where purchased from small local shops (in Rome, in Belgium, in Vietnam), some are brands that were refitted (RL, Faconnable).

But as of now, 1) I do earn more, 2) I don't need to wear a suit every day, and 3) my old suits are showing visible signs of wear. So I am looking to buy a few (2) suits to wear on occasions (incl. work), but don't know where to start. More precisely, I know exactly what I want (or what I don't want) when I see it, but I can't put words on it and certainly not brands / tailors.
I don't care about brands; I am willing to pay good money (say $1000-$2000) for quality fabric and construct, not for the name on the tag. Somehow counter-intuitively, thanks to my fantastic tailor (it's an understatement, really), I don't mind the fit that much (my tailor literally deconstructs whole suits, gets rid of any roll, etc), more the overall style.

Any advice on a good "guide" that would help me see the difference between styles (I heard about roman vs napolitan vs english), and steer me to the right brand / tailor depending on my choices?

Also, has anyone an advice on Scabal suits? I believe they are mostly known as a fabric supplier, but in Belgium (their origin), they do mtm suits with their fabrics for very reasonable prices (compared to crazy US brand prices)...

Thanks a ton!

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Grab a beer or two and dedicate an afternoon to styleforum's search function.

People aren't going to put in effort to help you unless you put in effort to help yourself.

danysf

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Claghorn. I believe I already did that, but haven't found (yet) what I was looking for. What I've seen so far is either tailored for "first time" workers who need basic advice on suits, or "expert" discussions about details with little background for nonexperts...

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
post is too long, we don't need all the details... basically you want to say

I have worn suits before and know what I am looking for, where can I find some sort of overview of who does MTM/Bespoke and what their styles look like and the process involved in getting a suit made?

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you know exactly what you want when you see it, look around the forum for pictures, and when you see what you want, ask who made the suit

That's a bingo!

Yeah really, it's about that, just use your eyes, do you like the look of a garment? would you like one like it? well then order one. Don't over think it, people have been having clothes made for a long time and people order clothes to be made everyday.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads