• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Entertainment industry interview attire

VWpete

Reaction score
I've brought this up before, but dates have been set at a few NYC record companies of various sizes in January for internships next summer. I am going to Barney's in Chicago next week and want some suit advice. I'm wondering what colors, style and fabric would be respectable and remain versatile in my wardrobe. I'm a college student with a smaller, thinner cut. Two of the labels are very large/International. One is a smaller label under a large corporate company and one is a promotions / record company of smaller size (but not as small as most indy labels.) I have a black three button, but am shopping for a new, needed suit. I'm going to go all out w/ a new suit, shirt, tie, and shoes. What colors or shirt combos are appropriate in these industry settings. I'm young and want a bit a style to my ensemble as well. I don't want to seem boring in the interview. Any suggestions or advice on interviewing in a relatively casual industry. I'm interviewing for marketing internships and general ones as well (coffee runner probably
smile.gif
). I want to be prepared and look good. Thanks alot, Pete
smile.gif

Renwick

Reaction score
I was in that exact store not too long ago. They have an okay selection of stuff.For an interview suit you may want to look into a gray suit or something with pinstripes. Black is too formal, in my opinion, for an interview. Since you already have a 3 button, you may want to get a 2 button. I have a 2 button gray armani collezioni suit that I use for interviews- and it still looks nice enough to wear outside of work as well. I'd say get a Dior suit because I like them a lot but I don't think they would work for interviews- then again the entertainment industry is a bit different from other industries so you may be able to get away with it. Hugo Boss makes some good suits that would be good for interviewing, IMO. As for combinations, there is a ton of stuff that can be done with a solid color suit. Just make sure you match your tie width to the width of the lapels of the suit you are wearing and don't go for super extravagant colors (except MAYBE in the tie), and match the color of you belt to the color of your shoes and you should have a good interview outfit. Hope this helps you a little.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
VWPete: In case you'd also like to visit some specialty stores in Chicago- I have a ton of great recommendations. Will be there myself the day before Thanksgiving, if you want to meet up on Michigan Ave. and compare notes. I'm also ordering my custom made hat from Optimo on the South Side. ร‚
biggrin.gif

VWpete

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. Renwick... greeat reply. Dior fits me amazing, but good luck finding Dior Homme in Chicago. I could probably afford it on sale
smile.gif
Steve B. I'll be there the day after Thanksgiving, but will be w/ the whole shopping family. Too bad... thanks for the offer. I know that Barney's is having their sale now. Saks men's is phenomenal and I've got a coupon for an additional 25% off at Neiman's. I'd love a list of some great stores. My Dad is going suit shopping w/ me... he's really good w/ suits. I now he's got some great stores he buys Brioni and Zegnaon at, but I'm not sure we're heading there. Thanks for all your help... Pete

al 818

Reaction score
Hi. I spent this passed summer interning at a studio in los angeles. From my experience, I understand that the NY entertainment industry scene is slightly more conservative and tradional in dress, but fairly close. That said, I wouldn't recommend you buy a really expensive suit for your interview because you will never wear it to work. I was working in the business/legal department which is considered more business profesional, but even there the standard uniform was prada sport shoes, diesel jeans and a nice button down shirt. I wore a tie my first day and got slack for it. Bare in mind that this is a 2 billion dollar corporation we are talking about here. anyway, look good for your interview, but be prepared to be comfortable at work. hope this helps.

VWpete

Reaction score
wow... great advice.I want to go to law school to be an entertainmenty atty... Sounds like i'd fit in perfectly in day to day dress like you describe.... Thanks for your help.
Pete

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads