• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Enjoying Life

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I was thinking about this weekend while driving to work this morning. Have a bit of a busy weekend planned. More golf, a BBQ/houseparty, wine tasting, dinner out with some friends, etc.

Just looking back as I start off my 40s. To you geezers (say 35 and older), has life actually gotten more enjoyable for you? Did your 20s/maybe early 30s seem full of delayed gratification and getting some major life tasks done, and now things just seem to be humming? I was thinking, look at the tough times Kunk just went through and now he's a bajillionaire. Matt seems to have changed countries (like me) and has a thriving business (and a future memoir book deal I'm thinking). GT has relocated his family and created a whole new life in a new country. Some of you just got your first house, etc.

Just wondering.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for you - that's great.

My major step function in enjoyment of life was the arrival of the kids. I know it's a clichÃ
00a9.png
but it cannot be explained simply in words. Again, step function or exponential effect, not sure, but something way more than linear.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
What is your theory on life? Have a good time. All the time.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

My major step function in enjoyment of life was the arrival of the kids. I know it's a clichÃ
00a9.png
but it cannot be explained simply in words. Again, step function or exponential effect, not sure, but something way more than linear.

IMO, nothing is cliche when you're living it. Happy for you.

Originally Posted by gomestar
What is your theory on life? Have a good time. All the time.

I try to keep myself centered with a couple of popular notions. Don't sweat the small stuff (and it's all small stuff) and no one will care in 100 years.

Also, I think surrounding yourself with people that care about your well being is a good thing.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't imagine things being better in my life. All the pieces have come together fantastically over the years. Lots of what I call "pinchable" moments, professionally and socially.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah, every week it hits me how great my life is. there are little things that I want to improve - I want to get a kayack, I want to join a CSA, I want to grow my own hrbs, for instance. those are the types of things I am thinking about - essentially, my life couldn't get much better. last year I was thinking that I really needed a few buddies to hang out with. last sunday on the spur of the moment called two guys I like and have a lot in common with, and within 5 minutes we were sitting in my yard, smoking havanas and drinking a bottle of wine. now I have maybe 15 buddies I can hang out with. my kids are doing great, we go to the beach almost every evening (we can walk there) and see friends.

I thought that I had a good life when I was younger. even when I was thinking about the whole issue of moving to the states, I thought that I had a pretty good life and I wasn't sure that the stretch was worth the "marginal improvement". I honestly had no idea how good life would get.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im in my late 20s and pretty much as you describe. feel like everything is for delayed gratification. work long hours, put most of my income into property investments, my social life has deteriorated heavily in the last couple of years (half my friends had kids, the other half are still acting like they are 19, im in the middle)...

really hoping this all pays off - like it seems to have for you.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long as I have to work, I'm not sure I can enjoy life to its fullest. I hate feeling obligated to work.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am definitely happier now in my late 30s than I was in my 20s.... and its not just because of kids (although they really bring joy in our lives), and not also because I'm more financially well-off now than say 10, 15 years ago. I guess your mindset and attitude change over time, and now I'm at a point where I don't have the need to prove myself to others, nor do I care what other folks think of me, nor am I bothered with issues and insecurities that were pestering me back in the day. And this was a tough year for us- with my accident, my mother in law's condition, marital issues, etc... but if you were to ask me if I'm happier now its definitely a big yes.
smile.gif

Tigris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

00a9.png

+1. My sister babysits and the little tyke brings so much joy to our dysfunctional family.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am too young for this thread full of golden oldies.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
im in my late 20s and pretty much as you describe. feel like everything is for delayed gratification. work long hours, put most of my income into property investments, my social life has deteriorated heavily in the last couple of years (half my friends had kids, the other half are still acting like they are 19, im in the middle)...

really hoping this all pays off - like it seems to have for you.

I thought it was just me. My life's pretty damn good, but everything you do now seems to be for 'later'.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
O hai there. I have arrived to **** all over this thread.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I imagine I'll be happier in 10 years. By then, I will (hopefully) be "somebody." Have a little power, a little influence. Make a difference. But I really can't complain right now...I just bought a new car, a new laptop, and I have a new job.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads