• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engrish on clothing

savage

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone ever sees' crazy English translations on clothing?

If you got picks, post 'em.

69670791_ec358ade47.jpg

Size: I don't think it fit anyone older than middle school.

Reaction score
not engrish, but i was in a korean grocery and the 14-year-old female cashier was wearing a shirt that read "smells like fish, tastes like chicken"

i wanted to help her, but i didn't know how!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
not engrish, but i was in a korean grocery and the 14-year-old female cashier was wearing a shirt that read "smells like fish, tastes like chicken"

i wanted to help her, but i didn't know how!

OMG

crackup[1].gif

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score

Not clothing but a clothing store. Not the funniest of Engrish either but it was the best example I had to hand.
Photographed in Daikanyama.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
some of the best products with engrish (that I have pictures of) are: Deeppresso Coffee
238643379_167608c4da.jpg
My girlfriend's Brother has a shirt that says "Professional Stunt Cock" and has a rooster on it, he had no idea what it meant.
238599325_9d0bf4cec8.jpg
First Kitchen (a large Fast Food Chain in Japan) is often pronounced Fa-kin so basically it sounds like ******* when people say it fast. As seen on an Exhaust system in Yellow Hat: Styrish Type Exhaust system
362854981_20a83fe256.jpg
I thought it was funny that Konami has a Sports Gym that doesn't include a single DDR game and doesn't have VR training for Solid Snake available
362854984_86b4ae3c39.jpg
Mini Donuts labled "Young Dounuts"
362854982_88fd2d114a.jpg
and finally the World Famous Taco Slot, Slot Machine (which was made funnier simply by where I saw it up and operating
241816122_c68a6b728b.jpg

ghostdeini

Reaction score
084oo3.jpg
picture I took july '06 walking out of that park near the harajuku station

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
well "tako" is octopus, so that mixup seems forgiveable...

when I was in tokyo my then-chick's folks had a peanut butter that was labeled "Peanusu Cream" (Peanuts Cream) and when pronounced sounds exactly like "Penis Cream"

The Soup keeps running a hella funny japanese exercise clip where the girls are saying the funniest engrish phrases

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
algonquinsom0.jpg

Crappy picture I took near Minami-Senju. It reads (as far as I can remember/tell):

A new kingdom is born
that's enjoy
smile, happy
it isn't been
but a laugh!
Algonquins

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
well "tako" is octopus, so that mixup seems forgiveable...

when I was in tokyo my then-chick's folks had a peanut butter that was labeled "Peanusu Cream" (Peanuts Cream) and when pronounced sounds exactly like "Penis Cream"

The Soup keeps running a hella funny japanese exercise clip where the girls are saying the funniest engrish phrases

that is the one where they are like "Take anything you want!" and "Spare Me My Life" really funny

and on the Peanuts Cream, my girlfriend always says Peanuts Butter (which with an accent sounds like Penis Butter, its hilarious and cute)

I found the TacoSlot funny less because it was an octopus slot machine and more because of the Sexual innuendo for an English speaker and the fact that it was a private slot machine in a love hotel.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Taco Slot octopus looks like the Octrocks from The Legend of Zelda.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The funniest shirt I ever saw while in Japan (not necessarily Engrish, but still hilarious) was in Niigata City in late 2003. A mid 30's, rather pleasant looking lady wearing otherwise conservative clothing and pushing a stroller had a simple black tshirt that said "BONER POLICE" in all caps.

I wish I had a camera... but alas... I wouldn't have had the heart to take the picture anyway (obviously she had no idea what it meant.) That and I was laughing so hard the picture wouldn't have come out anyway.

Close second was last spring (again in Niigata) and a shirt on a seemingly straight male that said "Let me know if you're into Ball sucking."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads