1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

English vs Italian fabric

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kolecho, Mar 1, 2005.

1. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

I am looking for some medium weight suit fabric suggestions (super 100s - 120s). I have seen and heard much about Italian mills (EZ, VBC, Loro Piana etc.).

What about their equivalent from England? I saw some swatches from Woolmaster (?) last week and they strike me as pretty good value for money. Can anyone recommend some English mills that are of similar standard to the Italian mills I mentioned?

I prefer matte fabric in general. Thanks in advance.

2. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

As far as the Italian cloths, the VBC is nice -- better in my opinion than than LP and less expensive. Scabal offers Italian as well as English cloth.

Those cloths pale in comparison (in my opinion) to those offered by the English firms like H. Lessor, Smiths, and JJ Minnis. None of these mentioned own any mills, but they seem to source great English cloths.

3. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Lesser, Smith Woolens, etc are great. Also look for Moxon Huddersfield, Taylor & Lodge, Holland & Sherry and Wain Shiell. Reid & Taylor are another good name. They produce much good cloth and are Scottish in origin, although their name is also licensed in India for some Indian cloth (also of decent quality).

4. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

5. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Do these English names come at similar pricepoints as the Italian names I mentioned?

6. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

The distribution channels for wovens is complex and prices vary by quite a bit depending on who you buy from, who they buy from, and how long ago.

The only answer to your question is maybe.

7. benchan

benchan Senior member

Not exactly an English mill, but maybe you can consider Scabal as well.

8. Alias

Alias Senior member

Tried to find some VBC here, but to no avail. Everyone wants Zegna and LP. No one here cares about VBC, and it just sort of gets ignored. Hlhhrlhgh.

9. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Anyone heard of Taylor Stewart in Huddersfield, England?

I've got two bespoke suits made of their Super 150s and they are really excellent. Better than my Loro Piana 150s.