• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

English travel umbrellas (once again)

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before, in part, but having just got aroud to it, I am doing some very late Christmas shopping still. I want to give as a gift, one of the collapsible Brigg travel umbrellas with Crook handle, which you can see here: http://www.classicluggage.com/GENTLE...ELLA26629.html But at $80 -- I am wondering if they're well made or not. Â Are these collapsibles, at the bottom of the page, Â the same quality as the other Briggs gear, in your experience? Â I don't mind paying twice or thrice that price for something of good quality. And I wonder if anyone has picked up a collapsible model (if made) from James Smith (for which I mistakenly wrote "Fox" in subtitle)? Â I guess I could ring them, find out what they've got. I just don't want to buy cra@p, and have it fall apart of the person I am giving it to. Â (and who knows, perhaps I 'll buy two, one for myself).

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just looked through archive again. I note that the venerable Kaga-san mentions that these small Briggs come apart (though they aren't supposed to).

Anyone know if James Smith has a small (collapsible) umbrella?

By collapsible I mean the telescoping type, not the keen old style that Briggs makes that comes apart into three pieces. Though that is swell too.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Like Kaga, I have the collapsible Brigg and have in fact been using the bugger for the last few days. It comes apart very easily. You can slide the shaft back together but it involves a few embarrassing and wet moments of trying. I got mine on closeout for $40. For $80 I strongly suggest trying somewhere else. Maybe the Burberry collapsibles are better made. If you're in France, buy the "Veritable Cherbourg" or go to Madeleine Gely. Cable Car sells a much more substantial- looking Brigg collapsible for $150 which may be better made.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
BTW, mine doesn't say "Brigg" or have the royal warrant anywhere. So the impress-your-friends factor is absent.

rayk

Reaction score
Have you tried James Smith & Sons of New Oxford St.?  I have been dying to get my hands on an umbrella made by this venerable firm, but, regrettably, didn't have an opportunity on my last visit to London.   Has anyone owned one of these?  Is the quality equivalent to Brigg?

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with the travel size umbrellas, but I have both a regular Burberry umbrella, and a Brigg umbrella, and the Burberry is so horribly made and has been so problematic, that I kick myself for buying it every time I see it in the umbrella stand. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating but you know what I mean.
biggrin.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
(Horace @ 06 Jan. 2005, 02:39) I note that the venerable Kaga-san...
Whatever happened to him? Tied up as an advisor to the new Iron Chef America perhaps?
Not sure. I PM'd him a little while ago about the C&J Tavistocks, 'cuz I want some too, and got some crabbed response. I know that he keeps busy with TV spots as well as his work on the legitimate stage, but he mentioned something about New Year's -- I think the Iron Chef marathons get him really upset. As one would expect of a reclusive and obsessive gourmet, he's a moody fellow.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like Kaga, I have the collapsible Brigg and have in fact been using the bugger for the last few days.  It comes apart very easily.  You can slide the shaft back together but it involves a few embarrassing and wet moments of trying.  I got mine on closeout for $40.  For $80 I strongly suggest trying somewhere else.  Maybe the Burberry collapsibles are better made.  If you're in France, buy the "Veritable Cherbourg" or go to Madeleine Gely.  Cable Car sells a much more substantial- looking Brigg collapsible for $150 which may be better made.
Thanks to all of you boys.

I'll try to telephone Smith tomorrow.

I'll also check into Cable Car and see what they have. (Though in my experience, Cable Car is often absurdly expensive for what you can get reasonably elsewhere).

I'll also try to find the French job here in the US.

Lastly, that the collapsible Brigg doesn't have a banded crest or whatnot, doesn't bother me. In fact I prefer it that way. I do however want something that is going to last a long time, and for that type quality, I don't mind paying a bit more and spending time seeking it out.

I do wonder though, given the the reports of the collapsible, if it is not the case the Briggs farms these particular orders out to whoever makes the $10 dollar jobs that are sold on street corners in London & NYC when it rains.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I do wonder though, given the the reports of the collapsible, if it is not the case the Briggs farms these particular orders out to whoever makes the $10 dollar jobs that are sold on street corners in London & NYC when it rains.
Well, it's better made than those; however, when I popped by SAB at 54 St James' with my umbrella they told me they had only supplied the handles to these umbrellas.

Cable Car is ridiculously expensive but it's the only place I;ve seen with the more substantial Brigg collapsibles.

Also try Wilkes Bashford, and say hi to Bill.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads