• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"english" styled suits hit the mall

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just looking at the Banana Republic website and noticed that they have a new suit in done in stereotypical "English" style--double vents, hacking pockets, ticket pocket, peaked lapels. Â Check it out:
br253252-00p1.jpg
Hmm. Â Between H Hilfiger and Banana Republic, it looks like the mass market is going Anglophile. Â Banana Republic even "suggests" Chelsea-style boots to go with the suit. Â I suppose my English-styled suits will now be getting "nice suit--is that from Banana Republic?" comments. Not sure whether that's better than the current "nice suit--funny pockets" comments.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, i guess this is a good thing? maybe it heralds a return to more classic style sensibilities? or maybe not? what does it mean when the mass market appropriates an up-market style? (or is that even what is happening here...)

/andrew

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fashion industry definitely works on a trickle down basis. The "new traditionalism" trend, and lets be cynical about it and call it a trend, started about 6 years ago, perhaps as a reaction to the minimalism and modernism of the late 90s, and really took off in the Fall/Winter 1999-2000 season, with renewed interest in "traditional" materials and tailoring - tweed, corduroy, flannel became fashionable (sorry, "stylish", again.) Following seasons brought back the suit in various incarnations, with the predictable references to the Mods, the Rat Pack, and Cary Grant. (Pause for a moment. Think hard. When did I suddenly become aware and interested in "lasting" style and in "fine workmanship"?) The fashion cognescenti are the first to take up and discard these trends, while the second tier aficionados are a little slower on the uptake, but provide the critical mass to make a fleeting trend part of the mainstream. And several years later, mass marketers jump on the steamrolling trend, and I'm sure that you'll see lots of chisel-toed loafers worn with City Boy chalstripe suits on the street (or at least at interviews) for a good long while to go. Congratulations gentlemen, you have just taken part in a wonderful marketing experiment.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, as long as it breathes new life into the traditions which (we feel) are timeless, it would seem to be a good thing.

actually it makes me think: how timeless is this stylistic ideal we talk about? the suit as we know it is, what, only about 100 years old...is change away from the 'traditional' form inevitable? are we destined to dress in star trek federation uniforms somewhere down the line?

/andrew - prefers the klingon styling anyway

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
I'm in favour of anything, fashion trend or otherwise, that gets today's youth into hacking jackets. Perhaps we should begin work on resurrecting the hat. Imagine a world where it was alright to wear something on your head other than a baseball cap (a man can dream).

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imagine a world where it was alright to wear something on your head other than a baseball cap (a man can dream).

Actually, Fedoras and newsboy caps are pretty popular in some circles these days. I personally like the black felt bowler. I don't really wear it except to wilder parties. But it makes me feel so P-I-M-P piiiiiimmmmmmmp.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
last night on BART i sat behind (well he sat in front of me) a gentleman wearing a panama hat. actually it was more of a flat brim. but it had the center crease, which i thought made it look pretty jaunty.

/andrew - wonders how to wear a hat without getting hat-head.

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
Actually, Fedoras and newsboy caps are pretty popular in  some circles these days.
Well, I mean acceptable in an unironic way. I am nowhere near pimptacular enough to wear a newsboys cap. I can just barely manage tweed breeches on the golf course. Although I am giving serious thought to an unironic trilby. I'll be in London in a month and perhaps I'll find something there.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The thing that I don't like about this BR suit is that it tries to do EVERYTHING. Hacking pockets, double vent, peak(ed) lapel, even the ticket pocket. The pants are flat front, by the way. It's over the top. No to mention that I'm sure it still fits like a normal Banana Republic box.

That being said, I think BR is on a roll these days. Whoever they have doing their designs probably frequents this forum.

M#4

wicozani

Reaction score
I think that looks pretty darn sharp, actually. So do this season's dress shirts from BR. I agree that they're on to something. Several seasons ago BR was offering very nice black wool crepe suit separates that were an absolute steal on clearance. The same will probably happen to this new suit style, so keep your eyes open.

Jeff

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
The thing that I don't like about this BR suit is that it tries to do EVERYTHING.
I think the hacking pockets are almost a necessity to balance the peaked-lapels on a single-breasted suit. And any suit with peaked lapels really demands side vents. Regardless of how nice it looks though, the suit is still probably of craptacular quality.

I'd like to see Banana Republic start selling optional waistcoats (and bowler hats) with their suit separates. Imagine your average downtown street populated with little imitation London Bankers instead of the ubiquitous hip-hopsters who currently occupy every street corner.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...and that makes me imagine hip-hop co-opting bespoke english suitings.

i'm afraid to go much further...the mind reels...

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...and that makes me imagine hip-hop co-opting bespoke english suitings. i'm afraid to go much further...the mind reels...
Then you should be very afraid of this man and his clothing company:
254352.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(faustian bargain @ 17 Aug. 2004, 5:22) ...and that makes me imagine hip-hop co-opting bespoke english suitings. i'm afraid to go much further...the mind reels...
Then you should be very afraid of this man and his clothing company:
254352.jpg

Tacky.

Classic

Reaction score
While I enjoy the fact that young people are starting to "dress up", IMO, there is too much money to be made from hip-hop inspired clothing. While most of us may not like the styles, designers are simply trying to get a piece of the action and so are venturing in with hopes of large profits.
The capitalist in me cannot blame them, regardless of what I may think of the clothing.

Classic

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads