• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

English sterling flatware top makers?

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a banquet size sterling set for 24 people. Does anyone know which makers I should be looking at? Dinner forks should be at least 8 inch and knives over 9.5 inch.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't think of any actual English makers, off hand, since I did not get much into them. However, Tiffany's English King is wonderful if you like really heavy patterned silver.

Personally, I think the absolute best silver period is Arts and Crafts, makers like Chicago's Lebolt make really substantial hand hammered patterns. Randahl during that same period made just incredible work, also hand wrought. Arts and Crafts silver feels to me as being understated opulence.

During the later periods I like much of the work of Alphonse La Paglia, even thought it can be a bit decorative with motif, he really does beautiful and hefty work, it does not lack for quality. Of course I like Georg Jensen as well, especially their early work.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Do you want new? There aren't any large English silverware brands that I am aware of still operating. There should be small brands like there are here in the East Coast in the USA.

The top brands in my opinion are French and German.
Puiforcat is a French company that has been making silverware since 1820
Christofle would be another French option
Robbe & Berkin is a German manufacturer

My favorite brand is Carl Pott (owned by Mono). The designs are very modern at least a few of the patterns are done in sterling. The quality is excellent. A single stainless steel fork is $65.

Vinilo1969

Reaction score
Do you want new? There aren't any large English silverware brands that I am aware of still operating. There should be small brands like there are here in the East Coast in the USA.

The top brands in my opinion are French and German.
Puiforcat is a French company that has been making silverware since 1820
Christofle would be another French option
Robbe & Berkin is a German manufacturer

My favorite brand is Carl Pott (owned by Mono). The designs are very modern at least a few of the patterns are done in sterling. The quality is excellent. A single stainless steel fork is $65.
Thanks for those names, I never heard of Puiforcat before. Stunning Art Deco designs!

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.