English shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by darkie_one, Mar 23, 2010.

1. darkie_one

darkie_one Senior member

I'm unfamiar with English shoes, but want a pair of english oxfords - Loake, Cheaney, Herring, Church's, Crockett & Jones - help me order this (and every you can name) brands by quality and best value for money.

Any thoughts?

2. onix

onix Senior member

I'm unfamiar with English shoes, but want a pair of english oxfords - Loake, Cheaney, Herring, Church's, Crockett & Jones - help me order this (and every you can name) brands by quality and best value for money.

Any thoughts?

Loake, Church's and C&J are ordered here:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=172371

Cheaney is like Church (they are owned by Church, though operations are quite independent)

3. heli0x

heli0x Senior member

4. Groover

Groover Senior member

Cheaney is like Church (they are owned by Church, though operations are quite independent)

not anymore. The church brothers bought cheaney off the churchs brand/prada last autumn after the resigned from the board.

www.cheaney.co.uk

5. onix

onix Senior member

not anymore. The church brothers bought cheaney off the churchs brand/prada last autumn after the resigned from the board.

www.cheaney.co.uk

Ok, I am a bit confused. Is the following right?

- 1966: Church & Co bought Cheaney
    - 1999: Prada bought Church & Co -> Effectively owned Cheaney
    - 2009: Church brothers bought back Cheaney from Prada
    - Hence now we have 2 company: Church & Co owned by Prada, and Cheaney operated by Church brothers

6. Groover

Groover Senior member

That's correct.

Jonathan & William Church resigned from the board at Church's and bought Cheaney. Making it an independent company again. All the info is on Cheaney's site, and on here an Ask Andy.

7. Agnacious

Agnacious Senior member

I look forward to your "If I am a size X in US shoes, what size is that in English shoes" post.

8. darkie_one

darkie_one Senior member

Loake, Church's and C&J are ordered here:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=172371

Feeling you surveys complicated a little [​IMG]

9. onix

onix Senior member

Feeling you surveys complicated a little [​IMG]

Just look at the hierarchy, don't care about the surveys (they're for those who've experienced the shoes already)

10. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

11. cbird

cbird Senior member

In general, get the best you can afford, but don't decide what is "best" just based on the accepted hierarchies - it is also important to factor in which gives you the best fit, so trying a few on would be helpful. Also, you should factor in how often you can expect to wear them; the more often you will wear them, the better value a finer shoe becomes. Most people think Edward Greens and John Lobb (Hermes) offer the best RTW shoes, but most of the other well known makers are still going to be way better than what you would find in most department stores (and better values, too, since they will be more comfortable, better looking, and rebuildable).

12. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Reviving an old thread....

Of all the widely-available (through the frequently-mentioned online stores here at SF) English-made shoes, which of them offer the best value for money?

13. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Of all the widely-available (through the frequently-mentioned online stores here at SF) English-made shoes, which of them offer the best value for money?

It's hard to quantify 'value for money' sometimes as there are certainly diminishing returns past a certain point, but it depends on your definition of value. An £800 pair of Lobbs is not going to be twice as good as a £400 pair of C&Js, but they are going to be as good or better than any other £800 pair of shoes, so are they still good value? Many would probably say they are.

14. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

For English rtw shoes, my favorites are Alfred Sargent. I love the 87 and 99 lasts. Customer service is wonderful. I think their value is the best too. I'd compare them favorably to Aldens, which are my favorite US rtw shoes. If you're going to spend the amt you need to spend on Greens and Lobbs, you might as well go mto or custom, imo.

15. Captain Winky

Captain Winky Senior member

I've never owned a pair, but from what I've read and what I've seen in person and in photos, I'd say that C&J is your best bet if you want a fine English shoe but don't want to break the bank. I also happen to love the shape of their lasts. They are on the expensive side, but they have A LOT of competition in the $5-600 range and probably outshine all of them.