• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jadd shoes come highly recommended. Each pair is made to order, so sizing and specifications can be discussed prior to purchase. I have no affiliation, just know a member who has a few and really rates them very highly.

attention to detail is supposed to be very impressive and i plan to try them for my next footwear purchase.

My favourite has to be the brown chromexcel derby boots

4A1D3142-C0F8-45E1-9FF7-75F354DE5936.jpeg

2782FBF3-993F-4194-8D1C-0779108C864F.jpeg

989843F6-78B5-4830-83CD-69B74C3E471D.jpeg

Boggis

Reaction score
Jadd shoes come highly recommended. Each pair is made to order, so sizing and specifications can be discussed prior to purchase. I have no affiliation, just know a member who has a few and really rates them very highly.

attention to detail is supposed to be very impressive and i plan to try them for my next footwear purchase.

View attachment 1563431

View attachment 1563430

View attachment 1563432
Very interesting! Almost seems implausibly cheap for made in England, particularly made to order. Would be interested to hear how you get on when you do order.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very interesting! Almost seems implausibly cheap for made in England, particularly made to order. Would be interested to hear how you get on when you do order.

Yes they are remarkably good value it seems. I believe they may well be a one man operation and from what I have heard the leather selection and quality of work is very impressive.

I think they also do repairs and resoles.

I had no plans to buy anymore footwear anytime soon but the temptation to try a pair is strong! I will report back if I do.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few Loakes 1880's and they are great value for money. I have a few Barker Handcrafted seconds and a few Cheaney's. I am happy with all of them. C&J are too narrow and Church's too clunky and often in corrected grain leather. There is no real benefit in moving up to the higher brands such as AS. I am not a fan of Grenson, so the only alternative is Sanders and Loakes Export grade. I would love a pair of Trickers boots.
Saying there is no benefit to moving up to the higher brands isn’t really correct. No benefit to you perhaps.

Panama

Reaction score
Saying there is no benefit to moving up to the higher brands isn’t really correct. No benefit to you perhaps.
What do I get from moving up from Cheaney to Alfred Sargent? As I have already ruled out Church and C&J. I can never see myself purchasing Edward Green.

Panama

Reaction score

View attachment 1563431

View attachment 1563430

View attachment 1563432
I seriously considered them for Desert Boots, but went with Clarke's Made in Italy instead. I may still get a pair.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seriously considered them for Desert Boots, but went with Clarke's Made in Italy instead. I may still get a pair.

I also considered them in the past among others but ended up with Astorflex, also made in Italy.

I rate the Astorflex quite highly for the money but I think Jadd are in a different league for not a lot more.

I considered Clarke’s also, I think there are several levels of quality with their version. Your Italian made are probably the top model.

Panama

Reaction score
I also considered them in the past among others but ended up with Astorflex, also made in Italy.

I rate the Astorflex quite highly for the money but I think Jadd are in a different league for not a lot more.

I considered Clarke’s also, I think there are several levels of quality with their version. Your Italian made are probably the top model.
This isn't a great photo...

20210226_234040.jpg

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do I get from moving up from Cheaney to Alfred Sargent? As I have already ruled out Church and C&J. I can never see myself purchasing Edward Green.
Better leather quality, more attention to detail. If that isn’t something you value then no, you probably don’t get anything from moving up.

Panama

Reaction score
Better leather quality, more attention to detail. If that isn’t something you value then no, you probably don’t get anything from moving up.
So the price moving up to to Edward Green, John Lobb Paris, Cleverley etc will be reflected in materials and finish and not brand mark up because they can charge whatever they like...

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the price moving up to to Edward Green, John Lobb Paris, Cleverley etc will be reflected in materials and finish and not brand mark up because they can charge whatever they like...

A bit of both I think. They will be superior but it is definitely diminishing returns.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is mark up on everything, but no, you are largely paying for the time taken to make them, the fact that they only use the best bits of the hide, higher levels of QC, better sole materials etc. There is a world of difference between them and Loake, or even Trickers, once you have a pair in hand.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is mark up on everything, but no, you are largely paying for the time taken to make them, the fact that they only use the best bits of the hide, higher levels of QC, better sole materials etc. There is a world of difference between them and Loake, or even Trickers, once you have a pair in hand.

not to mention stylistic variables and made to order options.

oldworldelegance

Reaction score

I have shoes of all those shoemakers except Church's and AS and C&J have definitely better upper leather, nicer lasts, better sowing as well as a higher quality channeled and bevelled sole (oak bark tanned in the case of AS Exclusive and C&J hand grade) that simply lasts longer. Is a pair of AS or C&J twice as good as Loake? No, because there are diminishing returns.

Personally I wouldn't normally buy shoes from manufacturers that only use celastic heel stiffeners (Loake, Barker) because I tend to get blisters for a long time (until calluses appear on the heels effectively). Now if you don't have this problem then there's nothing in itself wrong with using celastic (even if it's theoretically impossible to repair if it breaks).

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are always unworn EGs on eBay. Just head over to a store, find your size on several of their lasts and save a search. All of my Greens are slightly used or unworn pairs from eBay and the like. All it takes is some time and patience.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads