• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok
Not quite, Cheaney's Imperial range is unquestionably superior to its standard offering, I have a pair so I speak from experience. In any case, I'll take a leave here.
For what it’s worth, it’s the fiddle back waist as here that I don’t find well executed, but if you are happy with them then that’s all that matters. They ought to be better than than their standard shoes, as well as Carmina and Tricker’s TBH, they cost more than them, but I was only speaking from my own experience.

95134F7C-04C7-4D37-A77D-FC76FD7D2976.jpeg

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI Tricker’s loafers just went on sale today. Thoughts on these?
I’ve got a pair of the black ones, except with a channeled and bevelled sole. They are nicely made, but I don’t find Tricker’s city shoes to be as elegant as their competitors, they excel at the more substantial shoes & boots IMO.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These things always remind of those arguments about who would win in an all out war between the Marvel superheroes and the DC superheroes.

Edward Green would whoop George Cleverley's arse (keeping to UK's standards) if we assume English gentleman standards have been pushed aside so they can go all out, no holds barred.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edward Green would whoop George Cleverley's arse (keeping to UK's standards) if we assume English gentleman standards have been pushed aside so they can go all out, no holds barred.

It would have to be the Marquess of Queensberry rules, surely? Refined pugilism.

Boggis

Reaction score
Regarding reasons why one would choose EG over C&J and C&J over Cheaney as discussed a few pages back. I think the conclusion was that the more you paid the better quality leather and better finishing you got, but that construction wise they should all offer similar longevity.

I think an additional factor I'd consider is variety of widths available. I'm very happy with the quality of Cheaney shoes but the only narrow width models they have are loafers. Going up a price bracket into C&J they at least offer some black captoe oxfords in narrow width. However jumping up a bracket again, EG offers a number of narrow width Oxfords in black and brown!

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one pair of EG that I got in a sale. They email sale details to me. Quite frankly, even their sale prices are now ridiculous.

Crockett and Jones handgrade prices are more easy to justify.

Not that I am currently in the market for more footwear.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one pair of EG that I got in a sale. They email sale details to me. Quite frankly, even their sale prices are now ridiculous.

Crockett and Jones handgrade prices are more easy to justify.

Not that I am currently in the market for more footwear.

Yeah, the sale prices aren’t much of a saving any more, 20% when they used to be 50%.
I don’t need any more shoes (probably ever!) so I can afford to wait for a deal and then jump on it.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their "hand grade" offerings really were a work of art.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They were. Their standard offering wasn’t bad either, around Crockett & Jones standard.

oldworldelegance

Reaction score
This is my take based on the shoes I've actually owned (and perhaps indirectly the opinion of others). I've added manufacturers of shoes I've seen and handled but haven't owned in brackets. Haven't touched any shoes from John Lobb, Gaziano & Girling, Foster, Cleverley or some of the premium lines of makers like Cheaney Imperial so I've left them out of the list.

Edward Green
Crockett & Jones Handgrade
Alfred Sargent Exclusive
Crocket & Jones mainline
(Church's)
Baudoin and Lange [not GYW]
Tricker's
Cheaney
(Grenson's)
Loake 1880
Crown Northampton
Barker
William Lennon
NPS Solovair (calf leather boots)
Loake shoemakers (corrected grain)

Overall I have more shoes from C&J than any other manufacturer, so that's where I see the best value for money. Of course that's highly subjective and over a decade or so since I bought my first pair of Loake shoes my spending per pair has increased.

Last edited:

Northants bloke

Reaction score
This is my take based on the shoes I've actually owned (and perhaps indirectly the opinion of others). I've added manufacturers of shoes I've seen and handled but haven't owned in brackets. Haven't touched any shoes from John Lobb, Gaziano & Girling, Foster, Cleverley or some of the premium lines of makers like Cheaney Imperial so I've left them out of the list.

Edward Green
Crockett & Jones Handgrade
Alfred Sargent Exclusive
Crocket & Jones mainline
(Church's)
Baudoin and Lange [not GYW]
Tricker's
Cheaney
(Grenson's)
Loake 1880
Crown Northampton
Barker
William Lennon
NPS Solovair (calf leather boots)
Loake shoemakers (corrected grain)

Overall I have more shoes from C&J than any other manufacturer, so that's where I see the best value for money. Of course that's highly subjective and over a decade or so since I bought my first pair of Loake shoes I've spent somewhat more per pair.
Impressive work. It might be worth trying to place Sanders &Sanders too

oldworldelegance

Reaction score
Impressive work. It might be worth trying to place Sanders &Sanders too

Definitely. I have heard they are good value for money, at least in regards to their casual shoes such as their suede chukkas. I've only seen them in shops, so I'm not sure where they would fit exactly, but perhaps around or just above Loake 1880?

Northants bloke

Reaction score
I'm not certain exactly where Sanders would stand. I last wore them around 30 years ago at the governments expense. I am pleased they are still available though.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads