• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

English Shoes and the Exchange rate.

HitMan009

Reaction score
I can't tell your how long I been waiting for the exchange rate to start favoring the dollar. What does everyone think about whether the dollar will become even stronger? It looks like we can get shoes from plal, pediwear, etc not to mention R.M Williams at great discount now. Should one wait since the dollar will strengthen even more or right now there is a panic and the dollar will weaken soon.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HitMan009
I can't tell your how long I been waiting for the exchange rate to start favoring the dollar. What does everyone think about whether the dollar will become even stronger? It looks like we can get shoes from plal, pediwear, etc not to mention R.M Williams at great discount now. Should one wait since the dollar will strengthen even more or right now there is a panic and the dollar will weaken soon.

Anyone who actually knows the answer to this question is busy making one million dollars speculating on currency.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ohm
Anyone who actually knows the answer to this question is busy making one million dollars speculating on currency.

dr_evil_one_million_dollars.jpg

sf_esq

Reaction score
Pound down v. Dollar again today. Prices are quite good now, without doubt, but experts are projecting a slightly further decline for the pound (the same experts who predicted the previous decline of the dollar, they were spot on). I've already ordered a pair, but may order another pair in the next few weeks in the hope that it continues to decline further. Dollar cost averaging, same as with stocks...

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I checked Malaysian ringgits against the dollar, they didn't appear to have changed much, maybe $10-$20 less for C&Js than a couple of weeks ago. Did I miss something?

HitMan009

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
When I checked Malaysian ringgits against the dollar, they didn't appear to have changed much, maybe $10-$20 less for C&Js than a couple of weeks ago. Did I miss something?

I was referring to the peak only a few months ago. The exchange rate for both MYR and GBP are at or very very close to 5 years lows against the dollar. I myself am wondering whether the dollar will strengthen even more in the following months. Also I believe pediwear has a sale every year around the end of the year. If I am wrong, please correct me as I am timing when to buy a new pair(s) of shoes.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HitMan009
I was referring to the peak only a few months ago. The exchange rate for both MYR and GBP are at or very very close to 5 years lows against the dollar. I myself am wondering whether the dollar will strengthen even more in the following months. Also I believe pediwear has a sale every year around the end of the year. If I am wrong, please correct me as I am timing when to buy a new pair(s) of shoes.

Thanks for the clarification.

kennethpollock

Reaction score
Dollar mixed, gold rises in Europe
10/27/08 14:12 EDT
LONDON (AP) - The dollar was mixed against other major currencies in European trading Monday. Gold rose.

The euro traded at $1.2501, down from $1.2612 late Friday in New York.

Other dollar rates in Europe, compared with late Friday, included 93.45 Japanese yen, down from 94.52; 1.1586 Swiss francs, down from 1.1664; and 1.2915 Canadian dollars, up from 1.2731.

The British pound was quoted at $1.5514, down from $1.5872.

Gold traded in London at $730.50 per troy ounce, up from $712.50 late Friday.

THE POUND IS FALLING LIKE A ROCK. ACTUALLY $1.5514 IS ABOUT 50 CENTS LOWER THAN IT WAS A FEW MONTHS AGO. IT AMOUNTS TO A 25% OFF SALE FOR US CITIZENS BUYING BRITISH. AS LONG AS THE FINANCIAL TURMOIL CONTINUES AND INVESTORS FLEE TO THE RELATIVE SAFETY OF US TREASURY BILLS, THE DOLLAR WILL STRENGTHEN, AS PEOPLE MUST CONVERT THEIR CURRENCIES INTO DOLLARS TO INVEST IN THE US. I WOULD EXPECT THIS TO GO ON UNTIL THE ELECTION AND MAYBE LONGER.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Malaysian Ringgits are down a bit, putting handgrade C&J shoes from PLal at $420, which I believe includes shipping, and benchgrade at $335, which I don't believe includes shipping costs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads