1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

English Shoe Durability in Practice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by archetypal_yuppie, Jan 23, 2010.

1. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

I know, I know. Hence...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

I suspect the reason they passed under my radar is because they are Ralph Lauren, for the reason I mention in my previous past.

No worries mate, written in jest. Those are indeed made by Crockett. Unfortunately, they do not have a similar pair in their range.

3. ktrp

ktrp Senior member

I have a pair of AEs from 6 years ago that have been resoled twice, and are due again.

I would hazard a guess that the number thrown out earlier - perhaps 200 wearings - is about right for me. Uppers are still in excellent condition. The lining at the heel is quite worn, and I need to see about getting it fixed.

I think you see a big durability difference between $150 and $300 shoes, I don't know if $300 to $900 changes as much.

4. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

No worries mate, written in jest. Those are indeed made by Crockett. Unfortunately, they do not have a similar pair in their range.
    Yes, it's a shame.

5. Beaune Head

Beaune Head Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I've got three pairs of Church's that are still in good shape after ~20 years. Ballys, Ferragamos, and Guccis are long gone...

6. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

The sole leather on the English shoes I own is definitely inferior to Alden's sole leather. Quality control in general, however, tilts to the English. Alden has some sloppy stitching going on, for which there is just no excuse.

7. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

The sole leather on the English shoes I own is definitely inferior to Alden's sole leather. Quality control in general, however, tilts to the English. Alden has some sloppy stitching going on, for which there is just no excuse.

What are some of the English shoes you have? Were the Alden's you own shell cordovan? The last I heard, those were using JR soles.

8. cimabue

cimabue Senior member

What are some of the English shoes you have? Were the Alden's you own shell cordovan? The last I heard, those were using JR soles.
    Church's mostly, a pair of Cheaney, Loake and C&J. The English soles sand down and are "spongy" whereas the Aldens (shell) become very hard and resistant with use. Of course they'll wear down, too, but not nearly as fast. Pure observation, not bias.

9. NORE

NORE Senior member

I've found the rubber toplift inserts on my English shoes to be far more durable than any other shoe I've owned, save for Magnanni which is equally durable. Not sure what the difference is but my local cobbler has asked many times when I'm in there with a pair of my wife's shoes why I haven't brought any of my shoes in a while (over a year). I used to be in there like every other week getting combination toplifts (Vibram/leather) made in Italy which would wear down super fast. I guess it's a racket.