English Shoe Durability in Practice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by archetypal_yuppie, Jan 23, 2010.

1. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

One of the main reasons people give for buying english shoes like C&J or EG is that they're supposed to last longer due to goodyear welt, good leather soles, etc.

Has anyone actually noticed this in practice? Although I know the construction is better, I'm not sure if I expect my English shoes to last appreciably longer than my Ferragamos.

Everyone feel free to comment or post pictures of your well-worn shoes. (I have a feeling that a lot of people on here buy them and then hardly wear them). [​IMG]

2. ZON_JR

ZON_JR Senior member

[​IMG]

3. archetypal_yuppie

4. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

maybe a bit longer, but the high end ferragamos are pretty good too.

5. srivats

srivats Senior member

ZON_JR, you are a nasty troll. I don't see how you remotely consider this funny or ironic.

Weren't you warned before not to post this image?

Stop posting this guy.

6. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

One of the main reasons people give for buying english shoes like C&J or EG is that they're supposed to last longer due to goodyear welt, good leather soles, etc.

Has anyone actually noticed this in practice? Although I know the construction is better, I'm not sure if I expect my English shoes to last appreciably longer than my Ferragamos.

Everyone feel free to comment or post pictures of your well-worn shoes. (I have a feeling that a lot of people on here buy them and then hardly wear them). [​IMG]

What if I told you they don't last longer at all? What would you choose then?

7. archetypal_yuppie

There are other qualities that matter, of course, but I'm curious whether peoples' experience is inline with the durability theory, specifically.

Almost every picture I see on this forum is of shoes that have never or barely been worn.

8. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

I used to buyshoes with glued soles like most if not all Ferragamos. They lasted a couple of years. On the other hand I wear my British shoes for decades and they look better than new.

9. archetypal_yuppie

10. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

if the shoe has a leather sole, it is going to wear down, approximately at the same rate as any other shoe with a leather sole.

Rubber soles will also wear down at the same rate as other similar rubber soles.

Another factor is catastrophe, so maybe you mean your foot bursting through the leather straight up and hissing like in Alien. I don't know whether English shoes have tensiliary strength, as Ice Cube might say. All I know is that this has never happened to me.

Last but not least, is your shoe splitting at some seam. If your shoe is glued together at some point of stress, this is highly more likely. Cheap shoes are much more likely to be glued at some point of stress. It's cheaper to make shoes this way.

If you have never, ever ever had any durability problems with shoes regardless of how cheap they are or how cheaply they are made, then you don't need to worry about durability. use some other factor in your buying decision.

11. sw20

sw20 Well-Known Member

Suspect it's much like new, $200K+ performance cars: most who buy them don't commute daily in them and only drive them occasionally on sunny, warm wkends...so have no real idea how they would hold up in daily use vs dry/wet weather/bumpy urban rds, etc

Most of the famed UK/EU brands are some 2x cost of Alden shells; doubt UK/EU stuff lasts any longer in similar daily use (even with rotation for use every 2-3 days) in NYC weather and in extensive business travel (where rotation is often less possible)

12. archetypal_yuppie

Yeah. Unforch allen-edmonds and alden are butt ugly and poorly finished, in my opinion.

NYC really is a disaster for shoes though. it sucks. rainy days are 'gamo days now

13. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Take a scroll through the "shoes with character" thread. Edit: be patient, a lot of the older posts have their pictures removed. Things get going around page 3.

14. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

they won't last any longer than other gemmed shoes, in fact your blake stitched italian shoes may outlast them. [​IMG]

15. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

Take a scroll through the "shoes with character" thread.

Edit: be patient, a lot of the older posts have their pictures removed. Things get going around page 3.

Sorry [​IMG]