English RTW suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Walter

Walter Senior member

If you want to go on the cheap side, Marks and Spencer are good value for money.

2. daniele6

daniele6 Senior member

3. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I would second the Hield recommendation, though I'm not a fan of their cut, which (on the ones I've seen) is a pretty structured, square shoulder with lots of waist suppression. Just didn't suit my body. But the construction was pretty good -- nice detailing and nice (though loud) fabric.

Aquascutum did have suits made by H. Freeman -- I'm wearing one today actually. Some are full canvas (mine), while some are half-canvas, and others are fused. Unless you have a Regency 100 model (which are canvassed), there is no way to know what you are getting unless you inspect it up close (pinch test, etc.).

The H. Freeman full canvas models can still be found occassionally, and they aren't at all bad. But I wouldn't call the styling English in the least.

4. observer

observer Well-Known Member

I phoned Chester Barrie's Savile Row shop yesterday to ask how much time was needed to fulfil a MTM order. The reply was: Sir, we do MTM, but right now we are not taking orders for the next three months. He went on to explain that because of the rush of orders, the factory was unlikely to have the capacity to execute any new work.

Of course I did not say to him that I had heard the sad news about the factory closure, etc.

5. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

I recently tried on a Paul Smith suit, from their proper line (not London), and it certainly made me look good. The cut was lovely, the construction decent, though one was distracted somewhat by the purple pinstripes and the keyhole buttonhole.

Certainly not worth even half price (about a grand), IMHO.

Those Kilgours are very very tempting though...

6. thinman

thinman Senior member

I believe that Burberry and Aquascutum in the United States are proproduced under license by Hickey Freeman. At least one of them is. In any event, they're not really British RTW suits.
    I was told by a salesman in a Burberry store that HF makes Burberry label suits and sportscoats for the US market. I don't know about Aquascutum. Edit: just noticed the date on this thread. I'm only a year late to the party!

7. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

To revive an ancient thread:

I have an Aquascutum suit made in England, feels like full canvas.

The 'pure new wool' has on it the number 5374 UK 84W. There is another tag with size and model info. The model is Castlewood.

Who might have made this? Chester Barrie?

8. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Italian suits don't have quite the same aesthetic... not to mention are kind of ugly IMO.

9. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Italian suits don't have quite the same aesthetic... not to mention are kind of ugly IMO.

Pah! Barbarian [​IMG]

10. fatherseanfan

fatherseanfan Senior member

For anyone who cares, I contacted H. Freeman a few weeks ago just to see if they were still making Aquascutum garments in the US. Turns out they haven't had a business relationship with Aquascutum for quite a few years. They didn't know who makes American Aquascutum stuff now either.

11. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

For anyone who cares, I contacted H. Freeman a few weeks ago just to see if they were still making Aquascutum garments in the US. Turns out they haven't had a business relationship with Aquascutum for quite a few years. They didn't know who makes American Aquascutum stuff now either.

interesting...

12. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

what!!?? [​IMG]

13. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Here are the labels on my England-made Aquascutum suit:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any idea who made it?

14. fruitymetcalfe

fruitymetcalfe New Member

In the UK Aquascutum make their own suits and other items in their own factory on the outskirts of Corby. There is a factory shop which I've visited on a few occasions and where good bargains can be had. Example: a cashmere Chesterfield overcoat was marked down from over £1000 to £499 - when he saw me hesitating the manager offered me a further discount to help the decision-making process. I took it away for £300. Suits are anything from £199 to £300 or so.

I wouldn't have paid £1000 for the overcoat on Regent St, nor would I pay £600 or more for a RTW suit, but in the factory shop or during the sales in London or at their outlet in Bicester Village, you stand a chance of getting a decent English-made garment.

F.

15. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Interestingly, Aquascrotum has made coats in the past for Charvet.