1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

English RTW suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Mar 30, 2005.

1. thinman

thinman Senior member

I believe that Burberry and Aquascutum in the United States are proproduced under license by Hickey Freeman. At least one of them is. In any event, they're not really British RTW suits.
    I was told by a salesman in a Burberry store that HF makes Burberry label suits and sportscoats for the US market. I don't know about Aquascutum. Edit: just noticed the date on this thread. I'm only a year late to the party!

2. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

To revive an ancient thread:

I have an Aquascutum suit made in England, feels like full canvas.

The 'pure new wool' has on it the number 5374 UK 84W. There is another tag with size and model info. The model is Castlewood.

Who might have made this? Chester Barrie?

3. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Italian suits don't have quite the same aesthetic... not to mention are kind of ugly IMO.

4. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Italian suits don't have quite the same aesthetic... not to mention are kind of ugly IMO.

Pah! Barbarian [​IMG]

5. fatherseanfan

fatherseanfan Senior member

For anyone who cares, I contacted H. Freeman a few weeks ago just to see if they were still making Aquascutum garments in the US. Turns out they haven't had a business relationship with Aquascutum for quite a few years. They didn't know who makes American Aquascutum stuff now either.

6. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

For anyone who cares, I contacted H. Freeman a few weeks ago just to see if they were still making Aquascutum garments in the US. Turns out they haven't had a business relationship with Aquascutum for quite a few years. They didn't know who makes American Aquascutum stuff now either.

interesting...

7. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

what!!?? [​IMG]

8. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Here are the labels on my England-made Aquascutum suit:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any idea who made it?

9. fruitymetcalfe

fruitymetcalfe New Member

In the UK Aquascutum make their own suits and other items in their own factory on the outskirts of Corby. There is a factory shop which I've visited on a few occasions and where good bargains can be had. Example: a cashmere Chesterfield overcoat was marked down from over £1000 to £499 - when he saw me hesitating the manager offered me a further discount to help the decision-making process. I took it away for £300. Suits are anything from £199 to £300 or so.

I wouldn't have paid £1000 for the overcoat on Regent St, nor would I pay £600 or more for a RTW suit, but in the factory shop or during the sales in London or at their outlet in Bicester Village, you stand a chance of getting a decent English-made garment.

F.

10. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Interestingly, Aquascrotum has made coats in the past for Charvet.

11. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Aquascrotum makes me think of the cover for Nirvana's Nevermind.

EDIT: By the way, sorry for my attack on the Italian aesthetic. But personally I found it more rude that one would come into a thread where someone is specifically asking about English cut suits and say to get Italian instead.

12. fatherseanfan

fatherseanfan Senior member

I don't find it rude, but rather unclassy, that people attack Aquascutum and other brands that don't meet their standards in such a juvenile way as we have seen in this thread. Not everyone here can afford Brioni or Oxxford or bespoke. To belittle and denigrate the choices of others in such a way is not kind, productive or necessary. I own 2 Aqua jackets and they are perfectly fine.

13. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Senior member

I just picked up a beautiful Hield suit in my local Off Saks for $250 after tax. The buttons were not in any of the pockets so they will have to be replaced but it was still a fantastic deal. The suit is fully canvassed and has a lot of handwork. It is also a very conservative design.

14. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

I think Gieves & Hawkes RTW is made in China.
    At lease that is what they sell in Hong Kong.

IIRC, they sold the RTW business to HongKongese few yrs ago.