1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

English Premier League 2010-11 Fantasy Football

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by ManofKent, Jul 21, 2010.

1. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Hmmm maybe the 12pt hit to get the 'super' team wasn't worth it [​IMG]

2. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Anyone tempted by Gyan or Beausejour?

3. iVoRy

iVoRy Active Member

What about Hleb?

4. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

What about Hleb?

I think he's a good player but can't see him getting many fantasy points (maybe bonus points) but he's more the assist for the person who gets the assist points if that makes sense [​IMG]

5. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

When can I buy Van der Vaart?

6. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

Do you already have 3 Tottenham players?

7. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

Just dropped Rodallega and brought in Gyan. Part of his appeal is the fact he should be playing regularly for Sunderland. A bit hesitant about letting Rodallega go, though, particularly since my third striker is N'Gog. [​IMG]

8. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Do you already have 3 Tottenham players?

Just one. Is Van der Vaart already on the list?

9. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Just one. Is Van der Vaart already on the list?

Not yet - I'm guessing he'll be up soon - probably 8-8.5

It'll be interesting to see how he effects Bale's scoring.

10. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Just dropped Rodallega and brought in Gyan. Part of his appeal is the fact he should be playing regularly for Sunderland. A bit hesitant about letting Rodallega go, though, particularly since my third striker is N'Gog. [​IMG]

Rodallega hasn't had a great start to the season (okay Wigan's start has been disasterous). I suspect wigan's season (and Rodallega's form) will improve as fixtures get easier.

Gyan could be a real bargain - Sunderland are shaping up to be a good team, and Bent has an excellent track record. If they work well together who knows - they've a decent defence and okay midfield... I worry a little about Gyan's finishing - he knows how to get to the goal, but seemed to suffer premature ejaculation - shooting too soon.

N'Gog I like - but until he gets much more gametime (unlikely unless Torres is injured) he'll remain a decent and inconsistent shooter rather than a truly good striker.

11. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Not yet - I'm guessing he'll be up soon - probably 8-8.5

It'll be interesting to see how he effects Bale's scoring.

I can do 9 if I have to, without weakening my hugely succesful team too much.

12. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

If any of you have Dawson on your defence you might be wanting to look at transfers...

13. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I'd really like to sign up but I've never done fantasy league sports before. Can someone put the basic MO into laymans terms for me?

14. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I'd really like to sign up but I've never done fantasy league sports before. Can someone put the basic MO into laymans terms for me?

Select 15 players from any premier league teams (max 3 per team), must have 2 goal keepers 5 defenders, can have 4 or 5 midfielders, can have 2 or 3 forwards. Total cost of players must not exceed 100 million. Prices fluctuate as more people buy or sell them. Choose which players of your 15 you wish to play each week in (goal) then 4-4-2, 3-5-2, 3-4-3 or 4-5-1. You get points awarded for players starting the game, playing 60mins or more, scoring goals, assists and bonus points for judges. Goalies, defenders and midfielders get points for clean sheets, goalies get them for penalty saves. Generally you can make 1 transfer per week without a loss of points.

There are additional rules and nuances, but that's the basics. If you're interested pm me.

15. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

If any of you were mad enough to pick Rooney as a forward be warned that he might be distracted for a while:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-22538473/

I think our tabloid press need to do a 'shock horror we've found a member of the England squad who doesn't cheat on their partner' story...

16. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

So I signed up, picked like 8 people who's names I recognized then filled in junk I have no idea of for the rest. My team is a mess [​IMG] hopefully I'll get the hang of this after I watch a couple games.

17. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

So I signed up, picked like 8 people who's names I recognized then filled in junk I have no idea of for the rest. My team is a mess [​IMG] hopefully I'll get the hang of this after I watch a couple games.

If worst comes to worst you've got a transfer wildcard you can play to rebuild your team, I'm sure people will be able to give you plenty of conflicting advice!

18. iVoRy

iVoRy Active Member

If any of you were mad enough to pick Rooney as a forward be warned that he might be distracted for a while: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-22538473/ I think our tabloid press need to do a 'shock horror we've found a member of the England squad who doesn't cheat on their partner' story...
    too bad i'm considering about buying him after watch him play against belarus.

19. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Well take a look and tell me if you see any glaring flaws: [​IMG]

20. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Well take a look and tell me if you see any glaring flaws:

[​IMG]

It looks pretty decent. You've got a very expensive defence - I'd have gone for a cheaper defence and invested the difference in the midfield, but basically it looks okay.

I wouldn't have picked Stockdale (unlikely to see much more match time) but you can reasonably safely play Hart every week so that's not a big issue.

Terry should be good for points - if you need to save money at some point you could transfer him down to Alex

Ferdinand is a bit of a gamble - Sunderland have a series of tough fixtures over the next few weeks. If I was to go for a sunderland defender it would have been Al-Mummi as he's playing out of position (midfield) much of the time. Personally though I'd have gone for a stoke/Fulham or Birmingham defender instead.

Evra's the pick of the ManU defence - not much chance of many clean sheets over the next 3-4 weeks but a good long term choice.

Assou-Ekoto is a tricky one - he's not had a great start to the season and I'm not sure he will play every week, although with Dawson out he should be okay for a while. Tottenham have a good run of fixtures.

Samba is a solid choice - if you need more cash P Jones or Givet would also do.

Malouda - excellent choice and on form

Scholes - on form but at risk of rotation with other midfielders.

Diame - wouldn't be my choice - Wigan have had an attrocious start to the season, and whilst they can only get better I can't see Diame getting many points.

Ethuhu - not a bad choice for a cheap midfielder - Fulham are dangerous away. My only concern would be whether Hughes played him regularly - S Davies would be a safer option if you could find the extra .5

Park - defensive midfielder won't score many points and subject to rotation. ManU midfielders aren't generally a good choice

Defoe - tends to score a hat-trick one week then nothing for three weeks - unreliable but not a bad choice, although his niggling groin injury would make me wary.

Drogba - Can't go wrong with him

Gyan - untested in the Premier League and not a safe choice, but could be stunning. Sunderlands next few fixtures are tough but he might be a good gamble long term. Don't know!

Personally with that team I'd play 3-4-3 putting your Sunderland defender on the bench and playing Gyan.

Good luck