1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

English lessons

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by ernest, Sep 2, 2004.

1. ernest

ernest Senior member

Of course. They can not be worse.

But i guess my spoken language (so pronouncation and hearing) are always been correct.

May problem was rather to get more fluency by learning new words.

2. Horace

Horace Senior member

is correct. sujet est singular.

3. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Then you are to be commended. I know very few French people with a decent accent in English.

4. Matt

Matt Senior member

sat in a briefing in toulouse the other week and the speaker said we had two choices of frequency in which to listen to his presentation...HF and VHF...puzzled looks..."you have eet in high french accent or you can have eet in very high french accent"

5. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ June 09 2005,12:04) But i guess my spoken language (so pronouncation and hearing) are always been correct.
    Then you are to be commended. Â I know very few French people with a decent accent in English.
    I wasn't talking only about the accent but about the fluency and the ability to be understood. When i write a message, i don't translate anything but think in English. I don't neither spend my time checking every words and i rarely use a dictionnary. For all these reasons, my spoken English is not worse than my writen one. If i was using a dictionnary for every words and spending 30 minutes on each messages i post, my spoken English coudn't be good.

6. ernest

ernest Senior member

I know a girl who =

- spent 12 months studying at Vancouver,
    - went several time to the US
    - had a US boyfriend (I would rather said banker...)
    - has got her best friend living in Seattle (she doesn't speak French)
    - watches CNN at home

I have only spent 3 days in London speaking French with my girlfriend, I almost never talk to anybody in English and i don't watch TV.

Nevertheless,  my accent sounds much less French than hers.

So i would say my accent is fair.

French but not the heavy ridiculious one because i have good ears and I speak fluently another language (actually French is not my first language even if it is the language i speak the best).

Hope i have been clear .

7. Horace

Horace Senior member

Originally Posted by m@T,June 12 2005,18:52
    sat in a briefing in toulouse the other week and the speaker said we had two choices of frequency in which to listen to his presentation...HF and VHF...puzzled looks..."you have eet in high french accent or you can have eet in very high french accent"
    I know a girl who = - spent 12 months studying at Vancouver, - went several time to the US - had a US boyfriend (I would rather said banker...) - has got her best friend living in Seattle (she doesn't speak French) - watches CNN at home I have only spent 3 days in London speaking French with my girlfriend, I almost never talk to anybody in English and i don't watch TV. Nevertheless, Â my accent sounds much less French than hers. So i would say my accent is fair. French but not the heavy ridiculious one because i have good ears and I speak fluently another language (actually French is not my first language even if it is the language i speak the best). Hope i have been clear .
    What's your first language??? Â Were you tutored by medieval Latin monks. Â You know, your countryman Montaigne learnt Latin as his first language.... edit: for typos.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(ernest @ June 13 2005,22:43)
    I know a girl who = - spent 12 months studying at Vancouver, - went several time to the US - had a US boyfriend (I would rather said banker...) - has got her best friend living in Seattle (she doesn't speak French) - watches CNN at home I have only spent 3 days in London speaking French with my girlfriend, I almost never talk to anybody in English and i don't watch TV. Nevertheless, my accent sounds much less French than hers. So i would say my accent is fair. French but not the heavy ridiculious one because i have good ears and I speak fluently another language (actually French is not my first language even if it is the language i speak the best). Hope i have been clear .
    What's your first language??? Were you tutored my medieval Latin monks. You know, you countryman Montaigne learnt Latin as his first language....
    I'm waiting for a response like: "My first language is that of love" (What? he is French after all) Jon.

9. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

From his post elsewhere, it appears ernest has been going to the Jean-Marie Le Pen language school.

10. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

You're probably right. Men swoon when they hear me speak French. [​IMG]

11. Horace

Horace Senior member

(imageWIS @ June 15 2005,10:30) I'm waiting for a response like: "My first language is that of love" (What? he is French after all) Jon.
    You're probably right. Â Men swoon when they hear me speak French. Â [​IMG]
    I wonder if that works the opposite way. That is, do French women swoon when they hear a native English speaker (esp. an American) speak French? And do they swoon from the heart or are they just faint from the butchery of their language? I've been told a few times, when I had stayed in Paris and in the countryside on extended visits, that I had an attractive accent. I wasn't sure if they were yanking me chain or not.

12. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

I'd say there's a certain appeal to an anglophone attempting to speak French. [​IMG] Seriously, I'd say most French-speaking women would probably find your accent attractive in French. The comments you received were probably genuine. As for me, I spent too many years correcting students, it leaves me relatively indifferent.

13. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

"Bon-jure maaadaaam." Yep, gets 'em every time... [​IMG]

14. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

I especially fall for: "Mercy, madam"...

15. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

What about people saying "Voulez-vous coucher avec moi, ce soir ?" without any clue what it means. A man did it to me once... I swiftly went out of the elevator.

16. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Should you care, I would click on "Edit" and change "did it to me" to "asked me that".

17. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

esprit mal placÃ[​IMG].

18. ernest

ernest Senior member

I do not make mistake anymore? [​IMG]

19. Horace

Horace Senior member

(Mike C. @ Sep. 03 2004,03:48) Ernest, please discontinue the lessons. I think I speak for us all when I say that we are entertained by your mistakes in english.
    I do not make mistake anymore? [​IMG]
    See above.