1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

English lessons

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ernest, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ernest

ernest Senior member

for 180 hours paid at 99% by state.

Please tell me if you see an improvement in my english after 1/2/3 weeks.

I could wear from time to time some of my new shirts and suits .?

Thanks

2. discostu004

discostu004 Senior member Affiliate Vendor

your english looks pretty good to me unless you're typing in your native thru some kind of translator and then copy/paste here.

3. ernest

ernest Senior member

Do you want to see what gives a translator?[​IMG]??

4. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Oh man. High comedy. It's interesting how you can tell from what language people are translating by the final product. It's like reading a French accent. Great. Ernest, I almost always understand what you're trying to say, and in the cases where I don't, I enjoy attempting to decode it. We'll let you know if your English improves noticeably, god know it's better than my French. Ich spreche kein Franzosich, nur English und ein bisschen Deutsch. Ich hab' nicht Deutsch gesprochen nach vier jahre. Enshuldige mich. Ich weiss nicht wieso, Ich habe Deutsch gewaehlt fur meine Sprache lehren. I'm sure that's AWFUL. I think I just said "I dunno why I'm wailing for my speaking teacher." [​IMG]

5. ernest

ernest Senior member

I studied german 7 years from 12 to 18 = 3h/w = my first language . I was not bad, even rather good. One year before I graduated I had a teacher with who we did NOTHING so 1 year was for nothing but losing words. I graduate with 12.5/20. English is my second language at school = I studied 5 years from 14 to 18 = 3h/w Almost nothing in university for english during 5 years Russain was my third language = 3 years from 16 to 18 = 3 h/w 3 languages sounds unbelievable now.... Better I had learnt only good english I can tell nothing more in german than "ich bin hunger, durst", "ich verstehe nicht" or some simple sentances . French is never my first language...

6. Styleman

Styleman Senior member

(discostu004 @ 02 Sep. 2004, 12:15) your english looks pretty good to me unless you're typing in your native thru some kind of translator and then copy/paste here.
    Do you want to see what gives a translator?[​IMG]??
    Yes.

7. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Ernest, please discontinue the lessons. I think I speak for us all when I say that we are entertained by your mistakes in english.

8. rws

rws Active Member

I must be missing something here.

9. housemaidsknee

housemaidsknee Senior member

and this has to do with men's clothing because?

10. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Because Ernest is like a young French nephew who we enjoy giving a hard time to.

kinda like an electronic 'noogie' see how that word translates :)

Once you finish the course we can give you lessons on the various dialects - Nu Yawk, Texas, Boston etcetera.

11. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yes, Ernest is part of the place here... And Chuck, you leave off of "Nu Yawk" please (Ha...didnt think we knew that "Please" word here in NY didja?) (Picked it up from a tourist last week) [​IMG] JJF

12. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ 02 Sep. 2004, 1:18) French is never my first language...
    I must be missing something here.
    neither.

13. ernest

ernest Senior member

My first cours = THE PRESENT PERFECT today

Rather complicated to use properly. What is the difference between US and UK?

14. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

In the UK they speak English with grace and style, here in the US we butcher it.

...and here in Texas we butcher it and shoot at anyone who laughs.

Once you master proper English let me know Ernest, I will get you good and drunk and teach you how to speak Southern.

15. FIHTies

Us means we. "Uk" is an expression that one uses to display displeasure and revulsion, similar to "uggh" Usually accompanied with a grimace or another facial expression. Example of US... Jim...wont you come with US to the zoo? Example of UK...Jim...do you like this? Jim "UK" Man...Dont listen to us. we will only confuse you. [​IMG] JJF

16. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ 06 Sep. 2004, 6:31) My first cours = Â THE PRESENT PERFECT today Rather complicated to use properly. What is the difference between US and UK?
    Us means we. Â "Uk" is an expression that one uses to display displeasure and revulsion, similar to "uggh" Â Usually accompanied with a grimace or another facial expression. Example of US... Jim...wont you come with US to the zoo? Example of UK...Jim...do you like this? Â Jim "UK" Man...Dont listen to us. Â we will only confuse you. Â [​IMG] JJF
    Thanks for your very precious help. I was in a group of level 2.5 (3.5 is the maximum). People speaks worse tha I do. Somme guy even do not manage to make a correct sentence and some have a so hard frenc accent that I do not understand what they talk about..... So I went and see the director and talked him about the problem. It was not normal for me to be in the same group as these guys. 2 possibilities, either I was undervalued or they are overvalued. A guy decided to go to group level 2 because he was not catching anything of the cours. At this moment I thought other were overvalued. Director proposed me to make a test to judge my level. I have a result enought good to enter in the level 3 group. I tried level 3 to see if I was complately lost. I was not. So I decided to stay in level 3, where we are talking, chating. In the level 2.5 group, we had nose in an exercice book, we had to make 4 pages and the professor was the guy who was talking the much. What do you thing about it? It is better to talk about professional subject like advertising for exemple or do grammatic exercices to learn english?

17. FIHTies

To get by with the language which you already can (much better than my French) you need to be in a surrounding with other English Speaking individuals or more in your context, talk the language in a simulated setting of Advertising etc.

To Learn the language properly (which you are now trying to do) you have to go through all the background grammatical junk.

Painful but I think the only way to go.

JJF

18. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

As someone whose first language is English, grew up speaking Cantonese in the house, learned French in French immersion school throughout elementary and high school, and learned (and I use the term loosely) Spanish as an adult, as well as having spoken extensively to several eminent linguists about language acquisition, I would say that it takes a combination of both to learn any language, especially as an adult. As a child, common grammatical structures are learned, by and large, without formal instruction (thus the number of native speakers who speak and write fluently, but don't have even a rudimentary formal understanding of the language). Adults, however, often require formal training in order to acquire the same skills.

BTW, I have to commend your English, ernest. I learned French and spoke it daily from the age of 10 to the age of 18, and it is definitely inferior to your present English. It also takes some serious gonads to talk about your language difficulties on this forum, where you have been the subject (often rightly, imo) of ridicule on more than one occasion.

19. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ 07 Sep. 2004, 4:38) Thanks for your very precious help. I was in a group of level 2.5 (3.5 is the maximum). People speaks worse tha I do. Somme guy even do not manage to make a correct sentence and some have a so hard frenc accent that I do not understand what they talk about..... So I went and see the director and talked him about the problem. It was not normal for me to be in the same group as these guys. 2 possibilities, either I was undervalued or they are overvalued. A guy decided to go to group level 2 because he was not catching anything of the cours. At this moment I thought other were overvalued. Director proposed me to make a test to judge my level. I have a result enought good to enter in the level 3 group. I tried level 3 to see if I was complately lost. I was not. So I decided to stay in level 3, where we are talking, chating. In the level 2.5 group, we had nose in an exercice book, we had to make 4 pages and the professor was the guy who was talking the much. What do you thing about it? It is better to talk about professional subject like advertising for exemple or do grammatic exercices to learn english?
    To get by with the language which you already can (much better than my French) you need to be in a surrounding with other English Speaking individuals or more in your context, talk the language in a simulated setting of Advertising etc. To Learn the language properly (which you are now trying to do) you have to go through all the background grammatical junk. Painful but I think the only way to go. JJF
    So better talk with people better than me (or I am ?) than making exercices half of the time and listening the teacher the other half ?.... I will study grammar by myself. One does not need a teacher to improve that I guess. The professor is not better in some ways as she does not know about Jermyn street and Savile Row. The school is called Language, Culture and Civilisation...Very funny joke. I talked about you guys.... GET BY = what does it mean?

20. FIHTies

I think that the best way to learn how the language is spoken and to really pick it up you need both the speaking with others (living the language) in real life or simulated experiences, as well as mastering the grammer. If you think that you will really read the grammer books then you can do better by speaking in class for that will give you the hands on experience needed.

I have picked up more Italian while in the country than in through any other medium.

"Getting By" means managing with something although usually it is used to indicate just barely managing.

JJF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.