• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

English Bulldogs

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get an English Bulldog in the near future. I was wondering if anybody has experience? Any tips? The average price around here (in and around manhattan) looks like 2500-4000, is this what I should expect to pay?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know someone who got one that was a rescue dog. Free.

WoodyStylee

Reaction score
I have a few buddies that have e. bulldogs...they all have a wide range of health problems. the breed is notorious for it.

They also have to do some pretty gross hygiene ****, like clean in between the dogs folds every day, and clean around their eyes. Theyre a cool dog, but not worth the health problems and short lifespan IMO

JonB27

Reaction score
^agreed, they have hip problems, breathing issues, and you have to make sure the wrinkles are clean to prevent rashes and smell.... They always suggest that you have money set aside for future health issues.

I would do my research before getting one.. But just like anything you might get one and never experience any problems.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WoodyStylee
I have a few buddies that have e. bulldogs...they all have a wide range of health problems. the breed is notorious for it.

They also have to do some pretty gross hygiene ****, like clean in between the dogs folds every day, and clean around their eyes. Theyre a cool dog, but not worth the health problems and short lifespan IMO

Yup, as much as I want an english bulldog, the health issues, short lifespan, all make me hesitant..

I've actually been looking at mini bullterriers and french bulldogs lately.. Size makes it easier to keep in the city, and less health issues.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get an Irish Wolfhound.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I looked into getting one a couple of years ago, but the combination of high initial cost, short lifespan, multitude of health problems leading to high vet expenses, hygiene issues, and the fact that they drool all over everything put me off.

They're still ******* awesome though.

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Yup, as much as I want an english bulldog, the health issues, short lifespan, all make me hesitant..

I've actually been looking at mini bullterriers and french bulldogs lately.. Size makes it easier to keep in the city, and less health issues.

You're way off base if you think a frenchie is a better choice if health is your major concern. Frenchies are so inbred by this point that they literally cannot mate on their own.

As far as English bulldogs are concerned, if you get one from a reputable breeder (and you WILL pay a premium for this) your dog will most likely be fine for 10-15 years. If you aren't able to inspect the parents on site just walk away. Backyard breeders will sell you a poorly bred dog for less than your thinking but you'll more than make up the difference in vet bills over your dogs lifetime.

Bulldogs in all their forms have weird problems though. Because of their wrinkles you do have to clean their faces daily. They are brachecephaelic (short nosed) so they have breathing issues like snoring and wheezing. They can't take heat because of it either. And the funniest and most frequent problem is the incessant farting. And they do stink.

They are awesome dogs though and are worth the effort. I have 2 Boston terriers which are descendants of the English bulldog and they are the bet dogs ever. We rescued ours though so I'm big on rescues. I don't think I would get a dog from a breeder anymore. Check into it at least and see. The rescue here in nrth Texas charges around $500 so it's a money saver up front at least.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
You're way off base if you think a frenchie is a better choice if health is your major concern. Frenchies are so inbred by this point that they literally cannot mate on their own.

As far as English bulldogs are concerned, if you get one from a reputable breeder (and you WILL pay a premium for this) your dog will most likely be fine for 10-15 years. If you aren't able to inspect the parents on site just walk away. Backyard breeders will sell you a poorly bred dog for less than your thinking but you'll more than make up the difference in vet bills over your dogs lifetime.

Bulldogs in all their forms have weird problems though. Because of their wrinkles you do have to clean their faces daily. They are brachecephaelic (short nosed) so they have breathing issues like snoring and wheezing. They can't take heat because of it either. And the funniest and most frequent problem is the incessant farting. And they do stink.

They are awesome dogs though and are worth the effort. I have 2 Boston terriers which are descendants of the English bulldog and they are the bet dogs ever. We rescued ours though so I'm big on rescues. I don't think I would get a dog from a breeder anymore. Check into it at least and see. The rescue here in nrth Texas charges around $500 so it's a money saver up front at least.

Hmm maybe should just do a mini or full size bullterrier then. (obviously the proper british one, not the pitbull although I like them too)

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny you brought this up. My gf absolutely loves the breed, especially as puppies. So, she did some research yesterday and found how much of a high maintenance dog they are. Not worth the trouble, IMO. But darnit, they're so cute.
663px-English_Bulldog_puppy.jpg

Lucky7

Reaction score
Don't do it unless you look forward to being best friends with your vet.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are really adorable as puppies and when they grow up they are
Just pimps. There is no other breed which does it for me like an English bulldog

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dangerous English bulldogs? I believe all the aggression has been bred out of them for quite some time. They're big slobbery teddy bears now - and breeding out the aggression (making them more docile and less active) is probably one issue with their health.

Putting aside health issues, after seeing my parents' beagle for four years I wouldn't have a 'hard to train' dog.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics