• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

English Bulldogs

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
No, my question to you is, as a man who I presume to be middle to upper middle class based on this forum's demographics, why would you live in an area that puts your family in danger?

In a great many urban areas there are lovely neighborhoods with million-dollar+ homes that are only a few minutes' drive away from some pretty scummy areas. That is certainly my own situation.

I know you could walk through a lab. They're the most loving animal I can think of, and they like everyone. To me, the safety of your family shouldn't rely on a dog. Pitbulls are however notorious for attacking their owners, so it wouldn't surprise me if it got excited that you'd be the one with 60lbs of hell dangling from you.
Hmmm....There was quite a well publicized case a couple of years ago in which a woman in France who had had her face ripped off by "a dog" (her own dog) had her face surgically reconstructed. For some time, I wondered what kind of a dog it was. Turns out it was a Lab! Whaddya know...America's Family Dog...Good old Marley! Now if that dog had been a Pit Bull or Rott, the dog's breed would have been trumpeted to the public from the get-go. Moreover, a lot of the attacks attributed to Pit Bulls are actually not perpetrated by purebred Pit Bulls but by mixed breeds that may have some Pit Bull in them. I can recall one newscaster months after the killing of Diane Alexis Whipple in San Francisco by two Presa Canario dogs still referring to the dogs as "Pit Bulls." Admittedly, this was a decade ago, but at that time the Registrar of the United Kennel Club, the largest registry of American Pit Bull Terriers, informed me that no UKC-registered APBT had ever been implicated in one of these awful mauling or killing incidents.

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Correct, sorry I didn't clarify.

Sure, inbreeding can be good to a degree (mainly in production animals) but of course anything can be done incorrectly. If inbred too closely, you have a greater chance of any number of genetic issues.

I have been in the industry for 10+ yrs. now and I've only been bitten by small dogs such as min pins, chihuahuas, with the exception of one G. Shepherd (which are very unpredictable as a whole).

I don't think the problem is that these powerful dogs are overly aggressive (unless raised that way). The problem lies in the fact that they are powerful and that when they do attack, they cause much more damage.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
In a great many urban areas there are lovely neighborhoods with million-dollar+ homes that are only a few minutes' drive away from some pretty scummy areas. That is certainly my own situation.

Hmmm....There was quite a well publicized case a couple of years ago in which a woman in France who had had her face ripped off by "a dog" (her own dog) had her face surgically reconstructed. For some time, I wondered what kind of a dog it was. Turns out it was a Lab! Whaddya know...America's Family Dog...Good old Marley! Now if that dog had been a Pit Bull or Rott, the dog's breed would have been trumpeted to the public from the get-go. Moreover, a lot of the attacks attributed to Pit Bulls are actually not perpetrated by purebred Pit Bulls but by mixed breeds that may have some Pit Bull in them. I can recall one newscaster months after the killing of Diane Alexis Whipple in San Francisco by two Presa Canario dogs still referring to the dogs as "Pit Bulls." Admittedly, this was a decade ago, but at that time the Registrar of the United Kennel Club, the largest registry of American Pit Bull Terriers, informed me that no UKC-registered APBT had ever been implicated in one of these awful mauling or killing incidents.

The reason no one made a big show of it was because Labs are not known for that, and the chances of a lab doing that to someone is extremely unlikely. People expect it from Pitbulls and rightfully so. Statistics and logic are on their side in making that assumptions.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by distinctive
Correct, sorry I didn't clarify.

Sure, inbreeding can be good to a degree (mainly in production animals) but of course anything can be done incorrectly. If inbred too closely, you have a greater chance of any number of genetic issues.

I have been in the industry for 10+ yrs. now and I've only been bitten by small dogs such as min pins, chihuahuas, with the exception of one G. Shepherd (which are very unpredictable as a whole).

I don't think the problem is that these powerful dogs are overly aggressive (unless raised that way). The problem lies in the fact that they are powerful and that when they do attack, they cause much more damage.

David, did you give the dog a good kick?

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
The reason no one made a big show of it was because Labs are not known for that, and the chances of a lab doing that to someone is extremely unlikely. People expect it from Pitbulls and rightfully so. Statistics and logic are on their side in making that assumptions.

The Jlib always wins, be careful.

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
David, did you give the dog a good kick?

Quit trying to accumulate post numbers
laugh.gif

I only kick humans

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quit trying to accumulate post numbers
laugh.gif

I only kick humans

I shall overtake you. Alright I'm off to class. Give your residents a swift kick for me.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And mine.
A few years ago, the Ontario government banned or severely limited pitbull ownership in the province. During the debates the minister in charge was handed a poster with 16 or so dog breeds on it and asked to ID the pitbull. He wasn't even close.
Correct, sorry I didn't clarify. Sure, inbreeding can be good to a degree (mainly in production animals) but of course anything can be done incorrectly. If inbred too closely, you have a greater chance of any number of genetic issues. I have been in the industry for 10+ yrs. now and I've only been bitten by small dogs such as min pins, chihuahuas, with the exception of one G. Shepherd (which are very unpredictable as a whole). I don't think the problem is that these powerful dogs are overly aggressive (unless raised that way). The problem lies in the fact that they are powerful and that when they do attack, they cause much more damage.
Without a doubt you need to be responsible for your animal and it must be under your control at all times. Which industry? I wonder if the OP has changed his mind about owning a Bulldog. lefty

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My daughter and her husband had two bulldogs. One, unfortunately, had to be put down recently. In my experience the breed is well-behaved and loving of their human masters. My grandson has been raised in the presence of bulldogs and never has there been cause for alarm.

On the other hand, I am becoming increasingly convinced that my tomcat is merely biding his time until he attacks and kills me, and then eats my corpse. I have noticed him sitting quietly on the lounge chair, presumably plotting his attack.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^veterinary medicine and soon to be a pet boarding facility owner

Congratulations on the boarding kennel. Get a good set of sound canceling headphones.

lefty

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My grandmas brother had some little **** dog that was yapping it's mouth off. One day the two pit bulls next door broke free and played tug of war with it. The lil' thing exploded. You say aggression and I say natural selection.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why I like bulldogs. I use the lower case bulldogs to mean dogs of a certain physical type rather than Bulldogs which is the breed. The dog in the video looks like a Bull Terrier.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

lefty

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do the 'new' bulldogs avoid the health and hygiene issues of the English bulldogs?

Trying to decide between a Staffordshire Terrier or an Australian Cattle Dog myself. Really depends on what local rescues/Humane Societies have when I'm ready.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
Do the 'new' bulldogs avoid the health and hygiene issues of the English bulldogs?

Trying to decide between a Staffordshire Terrier or an Australian Cattle Dog myself. Really depends on what local rescues/Humane Societies have when I'm ready.

Yes and no. There are always problems with bracycephalic breeds, but the more extreme the breed type the greater the chances of problems occurring. Obviously, fewer wrinkles will create less opportunity for bacteria to fester and grow, but there are heart, skin, hip and sadly, longevity problems to consider. Since the breeders of the new "olde bulldogges" used a variety of bull breeds in the mix, they also are not immune to the traditional bully health problems.

The Am Staff is essentially show bred pitbull, but has taken a distinct turn and tends to be larger and thicker than pits. There are very nice working Am Staff lines out there - the old X-pert line started by Clifford Ormsby for example, but those were show dogs that fought.

Here's Ormsby with one of his dogs:

cliff_2.jpg

Charlie Llyod with Pilot, one of the dogs behind the X-Pert line:

Lloyd_Pilot.jpg

Colby's Pincher who was a 24X winner:

ColbysPincher.jpg

At any rate, I have no idea of the state of that line, but I would look there for an Am Staff.

I think the Cattle Dog is one cool dog.

800px-Australian_Cattle_Dog_Naava.jpg

However, it needs something to do all day or it just may tear your place apart. On the plus side, I believe they are relatively healthy and may hold the record for the longest lived canine - over 29 years.

Distinctive may have other ideas about health.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads