• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

English accents

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have lot of English accented immigrants to America of late, esp. in California. Most of them work blue collar jobs. It's hard to be proud.

The ones that do well lose it rather quickly, and change or rather adaptation is a trademark of English folks.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Mitchelli
I know many Englishmen who have relocated to America and over time are losing their accents.

Is it no longer acceptable to be proud of your heritage?

<baffled>

I don't think that it is that they are not proud of their heritage, it is just that your accent does tend to change to more closely resemble those around you as time goes by.

Of course, some accents seem to "stick" more than others - I've spoken to quite a few Polish or Russian people who have lived here in Australia for decades and they still sound noticeably Eastern European. On the other hand, I know people from New Zealand, the US, Canada and other places who are very proud of their heritage and their country of origin, but whose accents have faded very significantly over time.

Rover!

Reaction score
Regardless of what language you speak, if you move to an area where people speak in a different accent and live there for an extended period of time, your accent will change. It just happens naturally. I know some Americans who have lived in the UK for quite a while and their accents have changed considerably.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I've lost a lot of my Australian accent from living outside of Aus for 10 of the last 15 years. It doesn't happen by choice.

spb_lady

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
I've lost a lot of my Australian accent from living outside of Aus for 10 of the last 15 years. It doesn't happen by choice.

it comes back once you're drunk
wink.gif
can't understand a single word
laugh.gif

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt

The edges of my Strine have come off in the past years, though I probably cultivate more Australianisms than I ever would have said back home.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I moved from the US to England when I was 6 and I haven't lost my American accent at alll.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My city imported a bunch of you to be bus drivers and cops. Enjoy.

Lvivske

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rover!
Regardless of what language you speak, if you move to an area where people speak in a different accent and live there for an extended period of time, your accent will change. It just happens naturally. I know some Americans who have lived in the UK for quite a while and their accents have changed considerably.

exactly

Lvivske

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
I moved from the US to England when I was 6 and I haven't lost my American accent at alll.

You had an accent at 6?

I assume you just continued to leark to speak as your parents did though, right?

DukesofStratosphear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rover!

Not necessarily.

My auntie lived in the Los Angeles area for almost twenty years and didn't lose her English accent at all.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My best friend's father is English and has lived in Los Angeles for the last 30 years. His accent is still going strong.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
I think it depends on age. My father and uncle came to Canada at the ages of 5 and 10, respectively. My father doesn't have much of an accent at all, but my uncle sounded like he'd just stepped off the boat his whole life.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DukesofStratosphear
Not necessarily.

My auntie lived in the Los Angeles area for almost twenty years and didn't lose her English accent at all.

It all depends on the individual. Some lose their accents completely, some partially, and some not at all. I once studied with a guy who grew up in Scotland and then lived in England, Canada, and then Germany (that's where I met him). His accent was such a mish-mash that nobody could possibly have guessed where he was from. It was kinda cool, really.

When I was about seventeen, I dated a girl for a little bit before I realized she was German and had moved to the US from Germany only when she was 13. Even after I found out, I could hear no trace of German accent in her.

There's an Englishman who lives in my town and has lived here for two or three decades. He sounds like he just stepped off the plane.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads