• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineered Garments vs. RRL Chambray

rayuela

Reaction score
Shopping around for a chambray. Liked the EG Chambray a lot, then looked at the RRL store. They had something that was chambray-like, made from Japanese selvedge, but they called it something else, like Japray or something strange like that. Anyway, here's my question: I loved the EG shirt and the RRL shirt. Major difference for me was that the RRL shirt was much much softer, while the EG was a bit stiff. I've never had a chambray, so I'm wondering how much the EG will soften up with washing and wearing or whether I'm better off going with the RRL shirt if I want something very soft. Thanks for the advice.

Doin' Fine.

Reaction score
The EG one does get softer, but the main difference is the fit in my eyes. Which fit did you prefer?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, the EG one will soften up quite a bit.

I would get the one that fits better personally, both cost about the same.

Differences: There is nicer detailing on the RRL, but it's made in China. The EG one is made in NYC.

rayuela

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, guys.

Guess I prefer fit on EG so will go with that. Plus it's about 30% cheaper--169 vs. 220.

Just wanted to confirm it will soften substantially.

MTM chambray looks nice but I want it now.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers, Joydiffusion
smile.gif
I've had both of those, and I'd have to say that I prefer the RRL chambray. The fit is a little more 'normal' (no anti-fit), the buttons are nicer, and I actually prefer the chambray. Both would soften up nicely. If you watch B&S or search ebay, you should be able to find a RRL chambray for ~$100. If you are a Large, here you go... I'm seriously not trying to just push my group order, but I've seriously realized that MTM is the way to go. I get a shirt that fits perfectly, rather than a shirt that fits ok that I then have to spend $30 on to get altered. Plus, I get the exact material I want.

ss10guy3

Reaction score
The RRL chambrays soften up nicely. Actually, hickey makes (or made?) a really nice, fitted, soft chambray.

rayuela

Reaction score
Originally Posted by airportlobby
I'd like to see a pic of RRL one. Is it different from their chambrays in the past? Such as these ones - http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...d.php?t=162361
Thanks for the info. Might grab one of those RRL's on SF as it's a hundred bucks cheaper. The one I saw at the RRL store on Bleecker in NY wasn't actually chambray, it was some other fabric I had never heard of that sounded like chambray and felt like it too. I had walked in there looking to try the chambray and the guy said we don't have chambray but we do have this, it's like chambray, made in a small lot from Japanese selvedge. The look of the fabric was darker blue than their chambray and the fabric looked speckled with little white dots and it was unbelievably soft. I probably would have walked out with it if it was under $200 but just couldn't do $220 plus tax. I live around the corner from the store so next time I pass by I'll find out the name of the fabric. I will also look at that hickey one. I just got one of their ocbd's and I am really loving the fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads