1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Engineered Garments SS12

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Drinkwaters, Dec 13, 2011.

1. OakStreetBootmakers

OakStreetBootmakers Senior member

It's definitely worth the trip.

I was actually in your neck of the woods this Weekend (well, your state anyway). Was up in Whitewater. I love WI, and I love the drive up from Chicago

2. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

I realized that OSB is the only Americana brand that doesn't mark up 999999% in Japanese market. What nice people :slayer:

3. slide13

slide13 Senior member

Nice, I've been to Whitewater a couple times for work, we build some of our wheels and assemble bikes there (I work for Trek Bicycles). It's a nice area for sure. I'm originally from Iowa but have grown to really love Wisconsin. Good people, great beer, and the Context guys to help me with my needed EG fix. The Madison area is close enough to Chicago to make it an easy day trip too. Sometime this summer I'll have to try and make the trip down there again.

OSB and EG seem to be a good match aesthetically....we need some OSB/EG fits I think.

4. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

disclaimer: never handled or owned OSB so cant say anything against it

but quoddy, yuketen, osb, rancourt, llbean sig, even epaulet all have that "good match aesthetically" no???

just playing devils advocate here as i own quoddys, yuks, eps, and rancourts haha

5. OakStreetBootmakers

OakStreetBootmakers Senior member

No doubt - aesthetically all of the brands you mentioned look good with EG! It's all preference :)

Yeah, Oak Street's aren't priced toooo bad in Japan. It's crazy - we have very little control over our pricing in Japan. We sell directly to retailers who then price the shoes at whatever they think is best. We JUST started working with a distributor, so we're hoping for a little more consistency

Ya know - I think I've talked to some of your colleagues! We've had a few orders ship out to Trek in WI over the past few months!
    As for OSB and EG - def. a good match =) Daiki's got a pair of OSB navy boat shoes with crepe sole (only pair I ever made) - and those are badass :slayer:

6. randomkoreandude

yeah, wasnt saying that as a dig to you OSB

my good friend JT is all about OSB and keeps urging me to try them so my next pair are coming from you :)

7. slide13

slide13 Senior member

No, absolutely they do. But I don't see anyone besides Epaulet from those companies participating on our forum. OSB is new, I like their stuff, and they actually spend time here discussing things with us, even things that don't necessarily pertain directly to their product. I like that and appreciate their involvement. They also have some unique options, like their field boot, that sets them apart form the rest. I like the idea of a moc boot but I'm not a huge fan of thin camp soles on boots and I still haven't quite warmed up to the white Christy soles either. The OSB field boot is the first I've seen that offers a unique design moc style boot with a nice lugged sole...I love it and hope to pick up a pair this fall if I can swing it.

Also....LL Bean sig may be an aesthetic match but quality wise I don't think they are in the league with those others you list.

I have Quoddy, Yuketen and even Russell right now. But I think in the future I'll be looking at OSB instead because they support and participate in the forum. Same goes for Epaulet, their look just isn't quite my thing so I don't end up looking at their stuff too much these days.

Sorry to derail the discussion....this is supposed to be about EG :)

8. slide13

slide13 Senior member

NIce! Now I'm going to be walking around the office looking at peoples feet all day trying to spot them (not that cool shoes usually escape my notice).

9. randomkoreandude

agree whole heartedly with what you said. i was hesitant because they were new but all of the positive reviews and the fact that they reach out to us here is huge.

anyway carry on with EG love

10. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

I couldn't think of better place to ask.. so how exactly is English country/heritage style (dunno what exactly this is called) and Americana different from each other? Can they be mashed together?
    I am sure those Japanese dudes can do it no problem, they wear patagonia with engineered garments with no problem, but in a more realistic sense.

11. S-NMBR

S-NMBR Senior member

According the latest interview of Mr. Daiki in the Hip Store UK shop newsletter:

[​IMG]

here more bigger: http://i.minus.com/ibeXrS2o0pSYOz.jpg

12. runningfrog

runningfrog Senior member

ordered my first pair of OSBs a few days ago, natural loafers. i sized down to 7 as i will wear them without socks and prefer a snug fit (normally i wear 8D). they should be here friday according to ups tracking. these loafers will be perfect with my white/pink/yellow EG floral from SS12. i'll try to post a fit pic sometime next week. :D

13. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

Just got my Navy SS12 Bedford and damn, this is a nice jacket.
    Regarding the styling question and which aesthetics it fits within, I was thinking outside of the Americana and EG-like brands (that is no LL bean, WWM, etc...)
    I was thinking of a more refined, monochromatic, fashion-forward (in absence of better word) style and since I choose the dark navy color it shouldn't look out of place. I also found that there's lots of ways to wear this jacket, which helps a lot.

I only have one problem:
    The jacket is very puffy in the lower back. It stands right out like a tent. I could easily chop of 2 or so inches in that area.
    It fits well everywhere else. Maybe a little tight in the shoulders and and armholes but nothing bad.
    Sizing down is not an option (tall, small waist and broad shoulders)

Someone here who's had a similar problem and got it altered?
    Quick fix or an expensive one?

Thanks.

14. robin

robin Senior member

Quick and inexpensive, the bedfords have a simple construction for tailors to work with. From personal experience I would recommend against altering it too much though and instead let the fabric get some wear and tear - it will drape better with age.

Also have to add my love for the workaday fatigues, one of my favorite pair of pants I own. They look better with age as well.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  15. randomkoreandude

i have the F/W11 brookline with quilted and charcoal stripes but becauseof the reversible nature i think its impossible to alter

ive since just embraced and gotten over the slightly baggier fit at the waist. its hard since im so used to everything being fitted but EG is just not like that as can be seen from most of the fits and even from daiki himself

16. IndependenceChi

IndependenceChi Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, wanted to drop in on the Bedford talk with this photo - looks like EG raised the armholes - so the fit is really spot on. We've got a few at Independence here in Chicago - give us a ring if you want one. Also - we're all set up as affiliates, but are waiting on starting our thread until our website is up!
    [​IMG]

17. IndependenceChi

IndependenceChi Well-Known Member

Hey everybody, wanted to drop in on the bedford talk with this photo - looks like EG raised the armholes - so the fit is really spot on. We've got a few at Independence here in Chicago - give us a ring if you want one. Also - we're all set up as affiliates, but are waiting on starting our thread until our website is up!

18. conceptionist

conceptionist Senior member

I know EG is not supposed to be slim, but to have the jacket standing out 8 inches from your back when the top block is fitted, does not look very good. Mine isn't reversible so altering should be easier.

I think I will just get darts in the back to bring it a bit closer.

19. JRS1979

JRS1979 Senior member

^
    I originally purchased the SS12 Bedford in Medium (sized up one) and it was perfect except for the rear 'flare' that you have also experienced.

I moved the Medium on for a Small, which was too small in the chest/shoulders, and still had the same 'flare' problem.

I'm now in the process of re-buying a Medium which I am going to get altered very slightly. I want to keep the relaxed fit but just tidy up the rear silhouette a little.

Due to the Bedford's rear centre-seam a tailor has told me this is a very simple and inexpensive fix, so I'll be going down that route.

I agree, I don't mind a relaxed rear fit, but the original fit is just too much when the top block is still quite fitted.

20. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

I darted mine myself and it worked great. I didn't cut the fabric off, I just creased it and sewed it with a sewing machine. I can post pictures if you would like

I know other people who have gotten theirs darted too, I think AFL did.