1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Engineered Garments Spring / Summer 2014

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Drinkwaters, Nov 19, 2013.

1. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

Folks - need a good, basic blue vest and love the shooting vest. Saw it modeled worn outside, above, say an Andover. Assume it can be worn in-and outside?

What would be a good alternative? Truman as both come in tropical wool this season?

Mike

2. Kvc06

Kvc06 Senior member

Okay this worked once so why not try again -

Looking to trade my SS14 Olive bedford size L for an XL

I would also take the navy, or the batik or foulard jackets.

Or possibly an older season XL SS jacket + cash?

Also looking to trade my Northwoods jacket.

3. HelloFello

HelloFello Senior member

Tried on the c1 vest, just a bit too much pockets and things going on for me. I have the cinch vest in Grey Tropical Wool and I liked the way they styled it on the Nepenthese website, over a Lafayette shirt. I've been wearing it over a t shirt, over a short sleeve buttton down, and under a blazer, find it much more practical than the more utilitarian vests from EG. And you can always get the matching shorts and blazer that it comes in too, to dress it up some.

4. accordion

accordion Senior member

Looking for a NA stockist that has the batik Andover. Nepenthes didn't respond when asked for stockists.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  5. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Senior member

don't rem who's the dude that was thinking about the green ripstop jacket, it's on sale at gentry at the moment (20-30% off), should be sub 300.

6. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

Gentry has it in XL for $288 ... (And just sold the last one to me ...)

7. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

Gentry has it and on sale right now.

8. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

9. accordion

accordion Senior member

Nvm Nepenthes responded, looks like only Odin and Canvas Malibu have all the sizes. Nepenthes didn't list Canvas Malibu as a stockist weirdly enough. I'm hoping the jacket goes on scale but seems unlikely. I also just copped a new melton peacoat for $200 lol. Here's the complete list of NA stockists for the Batik Baker:

Bodega
    French garment Cleaners
    Hirshleifers
    MAC (Modern Appealing Clothing)
    Mohawk General
    Odin
    Nomad (Canada)

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  10. Jagger_On

Jagger_On Senior member

Was thinking about picking up a shooting vest myself if one was available come sale time but in olive or the railroad stripe. Yeah, you can wear it two or three ways from what I have seen. Not sure if I would personally wear it over a jacket but it does look quite cool in a couple of the lookbook pics.

If you're after the more versatile piece, I'd recommend the Truman but both are great. I've got a a navy Truman from FW12 and a couple of C1 vests (which aren't a million miles away from the shooting vest in the fact they have a few pockets and an unusual back) and the Truman definitely gets more wear. Probably helps that I have a Landsdown in the same fabric as the truman but I can just put that vest on and not really think about it too much. If I'm wearing the C1 vest, I tend to think about what I'm wearing it with a bit more as it's a lot busier due to all the pockets. For me, I'd guess the same would apply with the shooting vest as it's a little more out there than the Truman.

11. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

Thanks for that, Jagger; Very helpful. Not a fan of the C1 at all but I did order the navy tropical wool shooting vest from Peggs & Son. For some reason, their price seemed low at GBP 90 after VAT deduction (Which translates to ~$150) when everywhere else they seem to be offered at $250 - $270 depending exchange rates.

Also like the Truman but will wait for sale on it and see if I get lucky.

Mike

12. Shingles

Shingles Senior member

I'm looking to buy a pair of pants to make a suit, it's for a friends wedding.
    I got my eyes on the Navy Tropical Wool Cinch Pant and Dark Navy Dobby Twill Truman Pant. Judging by the measurements it seems as the Cinch pants is closer to what I prefer size and fit wise. I also have past great experience with the cinch pants. What speaks for the Truman pants is that I really like its details, especially the foldings on the front and pocket flaps, and maybe I would prefer the fabric.

Can anyone comment on what the fabrics are like?

A pant that is versatile and wearable in warm as well as colder weather is a huge plus as it's mostly cold up here. The Dobby Twill seems thicker and warmer compared to the tropical wool. Is the tropical wool super thin and for summer only?

And if anyone can comment on the fit of the Truman pants I would appreciate that as well. Thanks

13. accordion

accordion Senior member

The dollar is weak right now so buying in GBP from the US is not the best idea.

14. Jagger_On

Jagger_On Senior member

I think Peggs have mispriced it, It's about £100 more everywhere else. It's a great piece, can't wait to see it.

I really like the look of the Truman pants this season too, especially the pleats and the wee pocket on the front. Haven't seen the tropical wool but I think the dobby twill will be the warmer of the two. I didn't really like the dobby twill for some reason. It's nice but didn't seem to jump out to me like some of the other fabrics. Have you seen the heather grey oxford? I thought that was really nice. Might be a bit lightweight for you though.

15. eluther

eluther Senior member

I haven't handled the twill, but the tropical wool is very lightweight. Being wool, it regulates temperature decently well, but I can't imagine the pants being warm enough for the winter.

The heather grey oxford is also very lightweight. I live in Phoenix and they're really comfortable in the 100-some-odd degree weather we've had recently. So, likewise, not really winter weight.

16. penanceroyaltea

penanceroyaltea Senior member

i have the tropical wool. it's great for like 22-30 degree celcius weather. you'll freeze in winter for sure.

17. catchh

catchh Senior member

EG don't tend to do all season fabrics. Out of the EG I got not one piece would be considered all season.

18. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I noticed the same thing. Not surprising fellow sf'er noted that. Incidentally, I think Brian Cranston's vest was Barbour.

19. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

I got a 2012 cord landsdown jacket and it's thick as hell, warmer than my wool andover. Thought it would be lighter weight, but I really like it. Now I just need to find a baker and bedford at a reasonable price!

20. Shingles

Shingles Senior member

Thanks for your comments.

Yes the Truman pants are definitely cool looking! How was the thickness of the dobby twill? Would you say it's definitely for summer or could it be used as a more of an all-round pant?

I have the USN pants in heather grey oxford, they're great but i'm looking for something dressier for the wedding and I wanna be in all dark navy and not mixing colors. I'm hoping the cinch pants will go well with my dark navy Baker in broken twill from SS13. I think I can match something nice from my current wardrobe and don't want to buy a full suit at the moment but I might do it for F/W.
    I'm leaning towards the cinch pants, I know its measurements fits me better and if the thickness is marginal from the Truman then the choice is easy.

Nepenthes emailed me with the stockists for the cinch pants but didn't mention one north American stockist, is this correct? Do you know of any US stores stocking the pants? Please let me know!

catchh: Apart from some medium weight shirts like oxford shirts that's very true indeed.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 22, 2014