• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineered Garments Spring/Summer 2013, plus FWK

Kenneth Cole Haan

Reaction score
Can someone give advice on what the waistcoats/vests below should be worn with?

I like them but don't know how to "rock" them.

chestercopperpot

Reaction score

As much as I like EG those are way down the list of stuff I'd buy from them

yeah the floral vest is really nice to wear with a full suit.

i wear mine with my navy suit and it adds this nice pop.

keep in mind, my wife thinks i dress like an idiot but i like it. ;)

JilSlander

Reaction score
A full EG suit (jacket, vest, pants) is on my to-cop list.

I'm aiming for one that's more suited to colder weather.

Knight

Reaction score
Nepenthes Tumblr have updated the SS14 preview and posted higher resolution pictures and much more variety. Its getting more and more psychadelic.

It looks [to me] like Daiki has [almost] reached his peak in terms of adding as much raw function and performance as he can to his garments that he's matching that now with artistic input – something i absolutely love.

The whole man meets tuck skirt thing is a little too experimental for me. I say that now but i know ill go for it down the track.

But what I love about Daiki is that he comforts the EG puritans by constantly evolving the 'woodsman' utilitarian styles we're all too familar with. I honestly think Daiki Suzuki is the most innovative designer/curator of the modern age. Engineered Garments is simply getting better and better. That's my 2 penny worth :)

Jagger_On

Reaction score

Nepenthes Tumblr have updated the SS14 preview and posted higher resolution pictures and much more variety. Its getting more and more psychadelic. It looks [to me] like Daiki has [almost] reached his peak in terms of adding as much raw function and performance as he can to his garments that he's matching that now with artistic input – something i absolutely love. The whole man meets tuck skirt thing is a little too experimental for me. I say that now but i know ill go for it down the track. But what I love about Daiki is that he comforts the EG puritans by constantly evolving the 'woodsman' utilitarian styles we're all too familar with. I honestly think Daiki Suzuki is the most innovative designer/curator of the modern age. Engineered Garments is simply getting better and better. [COLOR=8B4513]That's my 2 penny worth[/COLOR] :)
Thanks for posting these. That first look is nuts. Leaning towards it being really awesome at the moment but pretty much no way I'd wear it though. The second look is right up my street however.

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ That last FWK look is really cool. Mixed feelings about the mens. Kurtas I can get behind, some of the other weirder stuff -not so much.

I like this one:

On an SS13 note I got myself a denim western shirt in the sales. Only my second EG shirt, really liking it.

lawlercon

Reaction score

Can someone give advice on what the waistcoats/vests below should be worn with?

I like them but don't know how to "rock" them.

I'd recommend one of EG's more "everyday" kind of vests, like the Upland. Those can be worn with anything, the waist coats on the other hand, I feel like if you were to wear those with anything other than a suit you're going to look like Usher.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ agreed, I wear several (waistcoats and some vests),,, a vest can look good with almost any outfit,,, waistcoats imho, look good with a suit or at least a shirt/tie and if possible matching pant, otherwise your getting into waiter/valet/server/usher territory.

I personally prefer the waistcoats that have same fabric front and back, not the satin back ones, as those cant really be worn without their matching suit, otherwise it just looks a bit douche imho....

Last edited:

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear the vests with button down shirts and never with jeans. Always with slacks, fatigues, chinos, etc. not necessarily with a tie, but ties help. Throw a jacket or even a cardigan over if weather permits.

But remember, no rules. Work it out with your wardrobe. Could work with a tee. I've worn blue vests with a blue tee underneath.

Dino19

Reaction score
I'd recommend one of EG's more "everyday" kind of vests, like the Upland. Those can be worn with anything, the waist coats on the other hand, I feel like if you were to wear those with anything other than a suit you're going to look like Usher.

^ agreed, I wear several (waistcoats and some vests),,, a vest can look good with almost any outfit,,, waistcoats imho, look good with a suit or at least a shirt/tie and if possible matching pant, otherwise your getting into waiter/valet/server/usher territory.

I personally prefer the waistcoats that have same fabric front and back, not the satin back ones, as those cant really be worn without their matching suit, otherwise it just looks a bit douche imho....
How to differentiate between vest & waistcoat? Waistcoat is one with lapel / collar?

Knight

Reaction score
Me three. The upland vest is the ideal vest -- and more outerwear than anything.

But if you're after a spring vest that has outerwear properties and waistcoat like potential, I highly recommend the 'north wind vest' it has a button snap detachable hood that transforms it into a waistcoat-like vest with 2 zips, and adds much welcomed character if you wish to wear it underneath a jacket like a Bedford or something... Food for thought man :)

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How to differentiate between vest & waistcoat? Waistcoat is one with lapel / collar?

Not necessarily, although nowadays its getting harder to tell some apart,, but for me a waist coat usually has a cinch belt on the lower back to fit snug at the waist and front hem is either pointed or rounded but rarely squared,,,, vests are usually looser fitting, have square hems and no cinch belt, although some will have side tabs...

Another way to look at it is that a wasitcoat is something to layer a coat over (mid-layer piece),,, and a vest is more of a outer piece by itself.

Now in the real world its mostly a difference of where you live (US vs UK),,, a waistcoat goes under a coat,,, and a vest goes under a jacket.

Last edited:

Dino19

Reaction score
Not necessarily, although nowadays its getting harder to tell some apart,, but for me a waist coat usually has a cinch belt on the lower back to fit snug at the waist and front hem is either pointed or rounded but rarely squared,,,, vests are usually looser fitting, have square hems and no cinch belt, although some will have side tabs...

Another way to look at it is that a wasitcoat is something to layer a coat over (mid-layer piece),,, and a vest is more of a outer piece by itself.

Now in the real world its mostly a difference of where you live (US vs UK),,, a waistcoat goes under a coat,,, and a vest goes under a jacket.
I guess it's kinda hard to tell at times. Another thing is perhaps the fabric & the overall look of the garment. For me, it's easier to classify them as formal or casual by the look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads