• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineered Garments FW 2012

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is the Andover slimmer than both the Baker and the Truman?

Yes, in my experience all the andover's I've owned or tryed on fit very slim in the torso and arms. I wouldn't advise sizing up though unless you are in between sizes in their stuff as the sleeves and body will be too long.

canal_overdub

Reaction score

canal_overdub made an insightful comparison of the Truman and Bedford earlier in the thread, but what about the Baker and the Truman? They both come in the herringbone this season, so that's specifically what I'm wondering about. The Truman is fully lined and has that unique double vent, the Baker is unlined and the pocket setup is different from the Truman, but I'm interested in differences in fit, lapels or other details I might've missed. Does anyone have personal experience? Also, do any other jackets come in the herringbone this season?

The Baker comes in Herringbone as well. haven't tried that one on.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, in my personal experience the andover is the slimmest of all the EG jackets.

Last edited:

TWorksheets

Reaction score

I'll third that the Andover is the slimmest of those three, but I think sizing up can work well if you want some additional length (just get the sleeves hemmed if they're too long). I wound up going from an S > M myself. The S lined Grey Homespun Jersey Bedford I tried on however was tiny, and even when I sized up to an M the fit was slim. The jersey fabric has lots of give and would probably stretch out after some wear, but I can't say for sure.

canal_overdub made an insightful comparison of the Truman and Bedford earlier in the thread, but what about the Baker and the Truman? They both come in the herringbone this season, so that's specifically what I'm wondering about. The Truman is fully lined and has that unique double vent, the Baker is unlined and the pocket setup is different from the Truman, but I'm interested in differences in fit, lapels or other details I might've missed. Does anyone have personal experience? Also, do any other jackets come in the herringbone this season?

Aside from the pockets I don't think there's any real difference between the Baker and Truman. The Truman may have that cool fabric vent panel, but ultimately the jackets both have a double vent. Also worth pointing out is that both jackets have slightly more 'closed' lower quarters when compared to the Andover or Baker:

vs.

Pretty subtle, but it's why I generally prefer the Andovers and Bedfords

xander_horst

Reaction score
Thanks! I feel like we've got some Engineered Garments scholars in this thread

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone seen in person or tried on the navy whipcord Bedford from this season?
Impressions?

Knight

Reaction score
I'll third that the Andover is the slimmest of those three, but I think sizing up can work well if you want some additional length (just get the sleeves hemmed if they're too long). I wound up going from an S > M myself. The S lined Grey Homespun Jersey Bedford I tried on however was tiny, and even when I sized up to an M the fit was slim. The jersey fabric has lots of give and would probably stretch out after some wear, but I can't say for sure.
Aside from the pockets I don't think there's any real difference between the Baker and Truman. The Truman may have that cool fabric vent panel, but ultimately the jackets both have a double vent. Also worth pointing out is that both jackets have slightly more 'closed' lower quarters when compared to the Andover or Baker:

vs.

Pretty subtle, but it's why I generally prefer the Andovers and Bedfords

Useful!! :) thanks for that
smile.gif

I wanted a Truman but for some reason got another Lansdown! [Navy wool serge].

Do most of you guys prefer the traditional 'blazer' style of jackets from EG or do most of you prefer the 'hybrid' ie a blazer that can be worn right down or dressed right up... Im just curious to know I've noticed this FW thread has talked a lot of Bedfords, Andovers, Bakers and the Truman. Educate me please? Cheers...

MyAcademy

Reaction score

Anyone seen in person or tried on the navy whipcord Bedford from this season?
Impressions?

Ended up buying one in navy a few days ago.
The whipcord is nice - I plan on using it as an all season piece with lighter shirts in the summer. Tried it on with a BB ESF and a crewneck for winter mode and had no issue buttoning it all up.
I had heard that this season's Bedfords were maybe a little too short, but it ends about an inch above my knuckles - not a huge deal for a casual jacket in my opinion.

Last edited:

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
got my grey bedford from context. size small fits spot on for 36 chest and its a great piece. really wanted the truman but happy with this being my first bedford

canal_overdub

Reaction score

Useful!! :) thanks for that :)

I wanted a Truman but for some reason got another Lansdown! [Navy wool serge].

Do most of you guys prefer the traditional 'blazer' style of jackets from EG or do most of you prefer the 'hybrid' ie a blazer that can be worn right down or dressed right up... Im just curious to know I've noticed this FW thread has talked a lot of Bedfords, Andovers, Bakers and the Truman. Educate me please? Cheers...

well I think the discussion about the FW12 jackets is because EG really dropped a massive collection of jackets with little or no misses, and more variety than is apparent on a quick webstore browse.

as I mentioned some pages back, the Truman (esp in the herringbone) is a fantastic, fantastic piece. for me, however, I've got a lot of blazer-style jackets, and the more unique cuts like the Bedford would just get more wear.

boscogne

Reaction score
Wondering what you all think of the new buttons on the Bedfords?

JRyder

Reaction score
I had a chance to look at them at inventory the other day and found them to be as nice as previous iterations. They might become more interesting if he continues to offer these in future collections as being able to switch between different styles and colors would be a fun option.

tangential

Reaction score
^ Hard to tell from pics -- are they glossy plastic?

Last edited:

e0d9n0b5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i want a bedford, but all the way up to sz L felt too small in the shoulders.. couldn't even get my arms in the small, which is the one that would have fit in the rest of the body. L and XL were too long, M i could barely move my arms around

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads