• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineered Garments FW 2012

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I need a Large or XL though :(

S-NMBR

Reaction score
I look through the Timpoblete selection of picture (thanks for sharing!) and I have to noted that the sleeve of jackets are still very long, also, the body seems more loose and easy than last winter season... it's only my impression?

I wonder if this sia matter of style or not.

I intend EG like this, easy and comfortable (but not oversize style) but what I see in some shop look book, especially here in Europe is that the style is introduced more fitted and more slimmer.

Also I was thinking that for Japanese market, where the most of the picture comes, EG cut special proportions for the size, somebody in the industry tell me that Japanese market need special fit, more tight and more short to satisfy the needs of the customer that like a fit more near the body (I don't know if this is true or not).
Looking the pic it seems that all the items are so big and bulky, especially the cruiser jacket, the parka, the mackinaw, or ook some sleeve in the baker jacket: large and turn up.... my impression is that they are like a size or two more.

What do you think about it?

Is the confirmation of loose or semi-loose fit or the items are just put on the wrong model size?

Thank you for your opinion, I'm so confuse, I'll going to be in Tokyo end of august and I would like to buy something, but I'm afraid to not find the correct fit, if they make special sizes for that market.

confused.gif

Last edited:

Edd

Reaction score

I look through the Timpoblete selection of picture (thanks for sharing!) and I have to noted that  the sleeve of jackets are still very long, also, the body seems more loose and easy than last winter season... it's only my impression?

I wonder if this sia matter of style or not.

I intend EG like this, easy and comfortable (but not oversize style) but what I see in some shop look book, especially here in Europe is that the style is introduced more fitted and more slimmer.

Also I was thinking that for Japanese market, where the most of the picture comes, EG cut special proportions for the size, somebody in the industry tell me that Japanese market need special fit, more tight and more short to satisfy the needs of the customer that like a fit more near the body (I don't know if this is true or not).
Looking the pic it seems that all the items are so big and bulky, especially the cruiser jacket, the parka, the mackinaw, or ook some sleeve in the baker jacket: large and turn up.... my impression is that they are like a size or two more.

What do you think about it?

Is the confirmation of loose or semi-loose fit or the items are just put on the wrong model size?

Thank you for your opinion, I'm so confuse, I'll going to be in Tokyo end of august and I would like to buy something, but I'm afraid to not find the correct fit, if they make special sizes for that market.

:confused:

Think sizing as always is all over the place, the work shirts for a/w 12 are cut wider across the shoulders and chest than previous seasons, whereas the field parka appears to be similar dimensions to previous seasons. I think the pics from timpoblete are just misleading, just looks like a tiny guy trying on his big brothers clothes.

Looks like a pretty good season, although from a personal point of view I struggle to find anything that's much different or any better than what I've already bought from eg over several years. Add to this the poor attention to fit on many items and the continued price increases I will probably only buy if there is a standout item.

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't say much regarding fit. Tends to be from piece to piece. I have a lot of shirts where the sleeve is slightly long. I've had a shirt or two hemmed, but most of the time I just live with the long sleeve and cuff it, splitting the width of the cuff. Don't worry much about width of the body either, as I usually layer under a vest or cardigan, with the shirt tucked in, and pants riding high.

Also, it's very difficult to judge fit based on the Japanese pics. You don't know how tall these guys are, how skinny they may be, in most cases what size they're wearing, and also how long are their arms? I use the JP pics as guides to how the jacket looks in general while worn (rather than just hanging on the rack solo or lying down on the floor), but rarely use it as a guide to judge fit. Measurements are the best way to guess.

0bb63666.jpg

a9542527.jpg

c122bc65.jpg

f2c40fa0.jpg

2d529ee8.jpg

700cf2c8.jpg

a7158f2e.jpg

37493fc7.jpg

8e4b41c2.jpg

45d12913.jpg

37493fc7.jpg

8aa14ebe.jpg

44753a27.jpg

8b607f40.jpg

Jeans come in gold thread and indigo (or black?) thread:

0435b5d6.jpg

2d1a85f8.jpg

08f6181d.jpg

bbf2e12f.jpg

8eed85c0.jpg

01fc8caf.jpg

BTW, for the Type 5 Jean Jacket styling, refer to pics of Angelo. It's one of his signature styles.

2fe0f9ea.jpg

jack london

Reaction score
Is it me or has EG been on the downward spiral for the last 5 years or so?
The collections seem to lack the authenticity of the early days, plus the quality has taken a real nose dive - the number of buttons I've had to sew back on is testament to this and the buttons themselves are pretty grim - the nastiest plastic going.

How many more Parkers do people need? Come on Daiki - don't be so lazy and greedy with the profit margins.

Yawn..........

Last edited:

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With each passing season there is more to compare the current collection with. The first few seasons that made me a big fan of EG are of course my favorite and the latter years unfortunately have to compete with those. I think that they're trying to change things up, make tweaks here and there that will appease the new crowd but also keep the old interested. As such, there are fewer pieces each year that are must haves for me.

As for quality, I don't believe that falling buttons are a sign of bad quality. I've had to sew many a button, but i've never had any seams rip or any other parts fall apart. Considering that the buttons are the parts that get the most action, I'm not disappointed at all. I've got buttons coming loose on a Nigel Cabourn shirt I just picked up this last month (twice the price of EG, made in Japan), worn maybe 3 times at most. Can't expect much from buttons.

As for the buttons themselves, the workshirts and the miner shirts seem to be using the same fisheye buttons that have been used for years now. The 19th BD shirts use the MOP ones, which I believe they still use on the current 19th BDs (the price of which as gone up considerably).

Lastly, pricing for every brand seems to be going up. It's pretty much across the board and EG is still a bargain considering the features they've put in the clothing and that they're made in the US and in NYC. EG pricing seems to be on par with the other Made in the US brands (e.g. 8.15 August Fifteenth, Dickies, Steven Alan, Band of Outsiders, etc.). Gitman is running pretty cheap, but they do mostly one product, running the same patterns and simply changing the fabric, which makes it cheaper.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think EG is supposed to be a radical new collection each season. IIRC daiki doesn't even consider himself a "designer" per se. I find the seasons of EG are more about refining pieces, maybe trying out some new silhouettes or some cool fabrics they got their hans on. there's a reason EG doesn't do a proper runway show (I think, I may be wrong).

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EG quality is impeccable. Say what you want about the styling and sizing which is hit and miss, I have pieces that I've had and worn hard for years that still hold up.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone speak on the railroad jacket fit?
Short sleeves, tight shoulders?

lawlercon

Reaction score
^I have an XL in overdyed indigo. Wide shoulders, normal sleeve length.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^I have an XL in overdyed indigo. Wide shoulders, normal sleeve length.

Cool thanks, trying to find an XL..
Let me know if you ever want to sell that Chore Coat you have on your blog!

runningfrog

Reaction score

From Doo-Bop
cc4e1d41.jpg

damn, i'm loving that herringbone baker. doo-bop has great service, i bought a wm sweater from them last season.

i'll wait until some us stockists get it to see how the pricing is. the yen conversion has it at $537.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads