1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Engineered Garments FW 15

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Drinkwaters, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Biggskip

Biggskip Distinguished Member

2. patrick_b

patrick_b Distinguished Member

I like them . What size are you normally? I'm an 11D measured and wonder if the 10.5 he has will work for me.

3. Biggskip

Biggskip Distinguished Member

Most of the time I'm a 12 or 45.

4. kingguru

kingguru Active Member

does anyone know if there's gonna be any matching pieces for the bedford jacket in brown/green herringbone wool? and if the jacket itself still has the sleeves lined? as far as I can tell by the lookbook the elbow patches are gone (to my solitary personal regret), hence all the worries.

5. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior Member

Can some one help me out with the fit of the fatigue pants?

I've got athletic thighs and seat, and need something roomy, but I want the taper at the bottom still. Love the look of the new outback canvas ones in olive, but I need around a 34" waist, and a 13.5" thigh, while aiming for an 8" leg opening. The Workaday fatigues looks like they may be better in the thigh, but they aren't as tapered (I could always have them slimmed) but they also dont have the hidden zipper pocket, which I think is a nice feature. Almost everywhere I look at for the EG fatigues gives me a different measurement, so I don't really know what I should expect. I've only bought EG outwear, since I haven't found a pant for me yet.

Any advice here?

6. ManofKent

ManofKent Distinguished Member

Thanks. All my other Bedfords (in various fabrics fit fine) so I'm probably safe. If I can decide which colour.

7. VCircuit

VCircuit Well-Known Member

I have athletic thighs and own Workadays in both S and M - they are extremely roomy in the thigh and extremely forgiving because of the cinches (open S, closed M). However, they are not tapered in the slightest, they are completely open at the leg. The mainline fatigues are considerably slimmer -- I need a size 34 and even that feels, IMO, considerably less comfortable than even my small Workadays.

Conventional wisdom seems to be that the mainline are more "modern" but IMO the classic Workadays are absolutely the most flattering pants for athletic body types, and the sateen fabrics are killer.

8. ManofKent

ManofKent Distinguished Member

The Workaday are pretty much M=34W L=36W. I've only tried this seasons Corduroy Fatigues from the main line which are by measurements just fractionally under tagged waist size. Measurements of the bull denim fatigues are listed on Kafka as 1" oversize whilst The Bureau lists them as TTS - which is correct, I've no idea.

9. lawlercon

lawlercon Senior Member

I would go workaday and pinroll the hem if you want a smaller leg opening. The fit is flattering on anyone and the wider leg with a nice pinroll looks really good (and different) IMO.

10. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Distinguished Member

Isn't the B1P essentially the cut you're after?
    ~13.5" thigh on a size 34 with a ~7.5" leg opening.

11. eluther

eluther Senior Member

@Nakedsnake – I'm going to be the voice of dissent and say go with the mainline fatigues in your regular size. I've got athletic thighs (note: I'm assuming this isn't a euphemism) and mine fit TTS. I like the seasonal fabrics more than the Workaday's, and the last few seasons have all fit really well. But, lawlercon is right on the pinroll being a different/really good alternative.

TBB's waist measurements are never accurate, @ManofKent – which I wish I would've known years ago because it was what always kept me from buying EG pants. You can add an inch to whatever their waist measurement is (which Kafka is doing properly, I presume). I think they're running against confusion from a luxury-minded audience that looks at the "waist measurement" as "waist size" and don't understand the difference between the two.

And while I'm here, Jackstraw got in their second shipment of EG and they have a few pieces I haven't seen elsewhere yet:

• Dark navy western shirt with dots – but the dots aren't printed, they're a thread running under the fabric that's brought up to the top, kind of like sashiko. Also doesn't have pearl buttons, but instead matte black hardware.
    • Black on white and white on black graph check spread collar shirts
    • Shaggy wool (vaguely like mohair) shawl collar cardigan (note: not the belted one) in black and navy wool. Slightly cropped.
    • B1P pants in navy/black window pane. They're getting the matching jacket, which feels like a very MoK-esque suit.

Only other thing was the grey weather poplin parka. Has way more texture than its SS cousins. Fit TTS because you'd definitely want it as an outer layer over a Bedford or something.

12. eluther

eluther Senior Member

@OccultaVexillum – The B1P is a cropped, double-pleated dress pant. Probably not what he's actually looking for.

13. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Distinguished Member

Speaking of website measurements how accurate are Fransboones?

@eluther I don't have a ton of experience with EG but I've never seen the B1P actually look cropped, it's always like a clean break. But yeah they look a lot different to the fatigue style.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015

14. mbaum

mbaum Senior Member

^ Yes, or maybe something from orSlow, Nonnative or Needles: All make cuts with very roomy thigh if you are looking for 13.5" which is quite a lot.

If the fatigue cut has not changed that much, a size 34 has a 12.5" thigh at best, likely a tad below. And even a size 36 usually will come it at or below 13".

I am a bit surprised at TBB measurements on the outback canvas and bull denim as it appears higher than usual. But maybe the fabric has a significant impact this season as thigh measures (on TBB's site) vary from 11.75 to 12.5 for a size 34 fatigue? Best to try them on.

15. lawlercon

lawlercon Senior Member

Typically with the denim fabrics they're cut bigger to account for shrinking in 'traditional laundering'. The fabrics with less shrinking are usually cut more TTS.