• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineered Garments FW 14

goldenbear

Reaction score
I was set to try this brand despite the price but I a got a response from a dealer that the heavier work shirts use plastic buttons. $200 + for plastic buttons? Disappointing.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a workshirt....what were you expecting? They use pearl buttons on other shirts like the 19th century model if it's really that important to you. The white plastic buttons on their work shirts are really part of the overall style of that shirt, as is the bottom button being red or clear (which pretty much requires plastic buttons). I would be horribly disappointed if they ever used anything else on the work shirts.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was set to try this brand despite the price but I a got a response from a dealer that the heavier work shirts use plastic buttons. $200 + for plastic buttons? Disappointing.

What's the problem with plastic buttons? Shell aren't as robust, and would seem out of place on a work shirt.

Shingles

Reaction score
They do. Nothing wrong with them though. They are actually very nice as they are. Large cat's eyes buttons. Few shirts have as large buttons as that so it makes for a nice difference. And the bottom red button is a nice detail. And it's not a suit shirt.

Last edited:

goldenbear

Reaction score

What's the problem with plastic buttons? Shell aren't as robust, and would seem out of place on a work shirt.

It's a workshirt....what were you expecting? They use pearl buttons on other shirts like the 19th century model if it's really that important to you. The white plastic buttons on their work shirts are really part of the overall style of that shirt, as is the bottom button being red or clear (which pretty much requires plastic buttons). I would be horribly disappointed if they ever used anything else on the work shirts.

I was expecting MOP, corozo nut, horn, shell, ect. I know its a work shirt, but I doubt many people are buying it to change the oil in.

SirMeowly

Reaction score
I get the dislike for plastic buttons, but I think they're good on the workshirts. That said, pretty easy to change it if you don't like it... Whenever I don't like the buttons on a shirt I just sew some new ones on. Probably the easiest alteration in the world to make.

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like you have to size down for the reversible coat? Nepenthes said 22" p2p for M, 23" for L.

mbaum

Reaction score
Looks like you have to size down for the reversible coat? Nepenthes said 22" p2p for M, 23" for L.
No, not at all. Looks TTS to me. If you want a few layers underneath, I would even size up.

TWorksheets

Reaction score

22" P2P on a Medium sounds about right

JRS1979

Reaction score
Any other info/pics on those fair isle knits/jackets in the link?

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But my L Brookline is 21.5" and all my L button downs are 22-22.5". I had a large peacoat from last season that was 23" and it was too big.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But my L Brookline is 21.5" and all my L button downs are 22-22.5". I had a large peacoat from last season that was 23" and it was too big.

I would say that looking for the same pit to pit dimension on your jacket as your shirts is not the right approach. Your outerwear should generally have a slightly larger dimension to account for the fact that it will be worn over another shirt or other layers. Picture it in 3D instead simply laid out flat on a floor.

My shirts are generally about 19.5"-20" pit to pit, but my knits/outerwear average closer to the 20.5"-21" pit to pit range depending on the type of garment it is and how it is intended to be styled. EG outerwear typically isn't designed to be a stand alone super warm outerlayer in my experiences, they are usually meant/design to be worn layered over one to a few items for that EG FW look so that's why the dimensions are generally cut a bit larger than what you are typically expecting in a given size.

Last edited:

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would still say that if you're interested in it, at least for the popular orange/brown colorway, definitely pick it up ASAP. There's just stuff that you can't even describe online that is so great when you're holding it. The colors are incredible

Agreed. It's a lambswool it appears so it's more rough than elegant. Everyone's sensitivity to wool is different, but I'm not wearing it over a tee shirt so with long sleeve shirts in the winter, it will serve me just fine, plus I'm not that sensitive to wool to begin with. I'm not sure what type of wool people were expecting for this one, but you wouldn't want a delicate wool for this type of knit IMO. My thought would be if you're looking for elegance, look for Schneider or Dries.

How long are the [COLOR=131313]Shawl Collar Knit Jackets? I am stuck between a navy one of those and the EUW Jacket - Navy Homespun and the [/COLOR][COLOR=131313]Reversible Coat - 20oz Melton Dk Navy Cotton/Linen Coated Canvas[/COLOR]

My small is about 28-28.5" in length from what I remember. I'm 5'8" and it hits me about mid thigh or so. You can check my fit pics back a few pages for reference.

need more info on the dk grey heavy brushed hb...
- I saw its 100% cotton but how warm would you guys rate the fabric
- Is the bedford in this fabric fully, partially or unlined
- is the true color closer to gentry's pics (med-dark grey) or closer to LB pics (light-med grey)

tia

I should be getting mine in tomorrow (hopefully) or Monday. I can report back when I get a chance to try it on and have it in hand. I actually like that it's a brushed cotton over wool since I have so many other wool style pants already.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll share some stockist information I inquired about for some FW14 items that weren't posted yet (I don't think):

Ghurka Pant - Homespun Brown
Nepenthes
Stockist
Bureau
Corridor
Tailor at the Tannery

Banded Collar Shirt - Rodeo Flannel - Lt Blue/red
Nepenthes
Stockist
Del Store
Escalier Boutique
Gramercy York
Haven Apparel Inc
Otoko

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads