• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JRS1979

Reaction score

Has anyone seen the Classic shirt in grey flannel anywhere, in size Small? I snoozed on
the one at The Next Door.

Also tried Nepenthes, but sold out in Small :( Anyone know of anywhere else?

As a last resort I will proxy from Japan, but I'd appreciate sizing advice from anyone who bought this piece. I'm guessing it fits slightly larger to be worn as an over-shirt, so go true-to-size?

Thanks.

ekimneems

Reaction score

As a last resort I will proxy from Japan, but I'd appreciate sizing advice from anyone who bought this piece. I'm guessing it fits slightly larger to be worn as an over-shirt, so go true-to-size?

Thanks.

I tried on one of the classic flannel shirts when they first dropped and I remembered them being pretty big.

JOA

Reaction score

Considering this didn't get responses, I ended up picking up the grey sweater knit version from Nepenthes NYC (outstanding customer service and responsiveness BTW) and thought I'd share some quick (though crappy) phone pics I took. I'm about 5'8", 150 lbs and this is a size small. Initially, I wasn't sure if I liked the styling on me, but after trying it out with numerous fits and different variations of shawl buttoning style, it's growing on me. What do you guys think?

I like this best left open as in the pic I quoted. It does look a bit boxy/bulky but I'm sure it's because it is new. It'll soften up over time. To my eye, it's a standout piece this season.

Personally, I'm still looking for the FW '11 Shawl Sweater Knit cardigan in Grey (Gary carried it). It's probably most most-wanted FW piece, though I may settle on this one if the quest proves unsuccessful.

Good to see you posting about EG again, tonio028.

jwalterweather

Reaction score

JOA

Reaction score
^Saw that. Beautiful piece but I'm a Medium and that just doesn't fit my style. Someone really should grab it, though.

alex99

Reaction score

Thanks.

I bought the piece in size S. Measurements from back laid flat are:

Shoulder: 17.5"
P2P: 21"
Length: 27.5"
Sleeve inside: 21.5"
Sleeve outside: 24.5"

I went true to size since I will be wearing over 1-2 layers, so want the extra room. I think that is the way it was designed.

On another note, I just sent back a miner shirt to Nepenthes in grey/navy size S. That shirt is a full size too large. Shoulder was 18.5" and totally off for me. That's the first EG S I have ever returned for being too big.

dogmoney

Reaction score

I bought the piece in size S. Measurements from back laid flat are:

Shoulder: 17.5"
P2P: 21"
Length: 27.5"
Sleeve inside: 21.5"
Sleeve outside: 24.5"

I went true to size since I will be wearing over 1-2 layers, so want the extra room. I think that is the way it was designed.

On another note, I just sent back a miner shirt to Nepenthes in grey/navy size S. That shirt is a full size too large. Shoulder was 18.5" and totally off for me. That's the first EG S I have ever returned for being too big.

I picked up a miner too and the Large is definitely at least a half size bigger than usual.. Planning on wearing it as an over shirt mainly.

Anyone picked up a workshirt yet this season and has any comments on sizing? The Bureau have suggested that it fits long also, but the listed measurements havnt changed...

45bur

Reaction score
I picked up a miner too and the Large is definitely at least a half size bigger than usual.. Planning on wearing it as an over shirt mainly.

Anyone picked up a workshirt yet this season and has any comments on sizing? The Bureau have suggested that it fits long also, but the listed measurements havnt changed...
They fit a full size large imho. I am normally a small in EG, and I got the chambray work shirt in xs this season. There's still enough room to layer under it.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on fabric too. Chambray workshirt fits big, I went with a medium, but I tried one of the heathered Oxford ones and I would definitely need a large in that one.

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Liking the Service coat quite a lot

LB parka in printed corduroy is pretty cool, though I'd be worried about looking like a slightly more fashionable Jesse Pinkman

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow the CPO shirt looks much more substantial than I thought. I can see myself wearing that as an outer jacket in a warmer climate

Last edited:

mbaum

Reaction score
Considering this didn't get responses, I ended up picking up the grey sweater knit version from Nepenthes NYC (outstanding customer service and responsiveness BTW) and thought I'd share some quick (though crappy) phone pics I took. I'm about 5'8", 150 lbs and this is a size small. Initially, I wasn't sure if I liked the styling on me, but after trying it out with numerous fits and different variations of shawl buttoning style, it's growing on me. What do you guys think?

Is this a FW13 piece? If so, missed it somehow. Loos stellar from the front, bit bulky from the bag but I want it. Likely will need L. (I think you wear it very well with those sweat-ish pants (Some on here detest that look. I like it a lot. Different shoes though
smile.gif
). Cantstyleace, what Barena piece are you talking about in that context? Maybe the knit jacket in gray herringbone is also a nice, slightly cleaner alternative. Saw it in SF this week but not in my size. It looks much better in person than in pics.

On CPOs: Really did not like EG (style and fit) this season and went with Orslow instead. Simple, dynamite wool fabric and stellar fit (on me, at least).

Mike

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FW11 navy wool embroidery cpo, its a mid weight loosely woven wool, drapes really nice and breathes very well so not too warm over ls or t, but if you put a vest or light jacket over it, or buttoned with scarf, it gets pretty comfy and warm.

I'd only seen 1 pic of that piece in some fabric where it looked pretty puffy, particularly the collar and sleeves looked thick and poofy but I think that ribbed? fabric on yours doesnt make it look bad though, does the collar look ok folded down or too thick? probably just needs a good overall stretch to smooth out the fabric.
I like that kind of layed back & cozy piece but I keep waiting for the perfect shawl neck cardigan belted robe thing which ideally would hit me lower than that one,,,, I had to resist the long barena cardi on yoox pretty hard just cuz I think that one would be a bit too long.

Thanks for the info, embroidery cpo seems nice.

I had only seen a few worn pics of this particular shawl version on two or three Japanese sites, the black version at Haven and the lookbook and a few Japanese sites as well. I think the fabric needs to settle a bit, but the collar doesn't look too bad I don't think folded. I took a quick shot of it the other day trying it on again. It can actually be molded a bit so it can be shaped and styled differently.
C2kL8yB.jpg

I have a belted knit shawl robe from Nonnative that I grabbed last season as part of the same hunt for something similar, but I like the EG version because of the button closure it provides.

I like this best left open as in the pic I quoted. It does look a bit boxy/bulky but I'm sure it's because it is new. It'll soften up over time. To my eye, it's a standout piece this season.

Personally, I'm still looking for the FW '11 Shawl Sweater Knit cardigan in Grey (Gary carried it). It's probably most most-wanted FW piece, though I may settle on this one if the quest proves unsuccessful.

Good to see you posting about EG again, tonio028.

Yeah, open I feel is best in terms of styling/fit, but I have to say it is pretty warm once it is closed up to the fullest and belted. I am upset I missed out on the FW12 boucle or the grey one you mentioned also, loved the fabrics on those, but this one is very good as well I must say.

I definitely felt it was a standout piece, enough so to pick it up at the price point when I haven't picked up EG pieces in a while. In fact, there are quite a few pieces from this season that have caught my interest again. Although I haven't posted much in threads, I have continued to follow as I still enjoy the aesthetic it brings.

Is this a FW13 piece? If so, missed it somehow. Loos stellar from the front, bit bulky from the bag but I want it. Likely will need L. (I think you wear it very well with those sweat-ish pants (Some on here detest that look. I like it a lot. Different shoes though :) ). Cantstyleace, what Barena piece are you talking about in that context? Maybe the knit jacket in gray herringbone is also a nice, slightly cleaner alternative. Saw it in SF this week but not in my size. It looks much better in person than in pics.

On CPOs: Really did not like EG (style and fit) this season and went with Orslow instead. Simple, dynamite wool fabric and stellar fit (on me, at least).

Mike

This is the FW13 version. Here it is from Gentry's site (though sold out it appears): http://gentrynyc.com/collections/engineered-garments/products/eg-shawl-collar-knit-jacket

The styling with the sweat type pants was purely coincidence since I threw it on right before bed and I was lounging around. Ironically though, the pants are by EG, they're the wool jersey Essex pants from last FW12 season: http://www.secondstage2008.jp/L-ENGINEERED12FW-ESSEXPANT-WOOLJERSEY-GREY.html

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads