• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, its not powder coated but painted? LMAO

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wait, its not powder coated but painted? LMAO

alright man, we get it. you don't like EG or you think the quality is crap or whatever. i don't see what purpose you have in this thread.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure, I did scratch it pretty bad against a concrete wall, but even powder coat will chip, or fade, eventually.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't a guy be disappointed? I just purchased two more pieces last weekend. I AM filling my wardrobe with EG, and I am fine with the brand.
Seriously mikey, stop being a smartass. Pre-Med is difficult boo hoo but don't release it by calling people out on different threads okay?

canstyleace- yeah. Patagonia has been using plastic snaps for some time because of that reason. As long as its scratched out, not like layers of paint chipping off, I'm fine with it.

Last edited:

alex99

Reaction score

Comparing it to the CPO there are a lot of differences though -- heavier fabric, several pockets (including interior), snaps and a more complex collar and hem. The CPO has evolved into a pretty substantial jacket, whereas the classic shirt in wool is more like a really great take on a Pendleton overshirt.

I view the CPO as more like a midpoint between the overshirts and 600+ field jackets. There are a couple other pieces in this range, like the field shirt-jac or the coverall and USN (both cotton for 440). Casual jackets in general took a hike and the CPO is designed and priced as one of them. On the flipside I want them all, so save and hope I guess.

Yeah it's not fair to compare the two pieces based on price, but the reason I brought up the CPO is that I really don't like the current CPO design and was looking for something similar to the pre FW 2012 version when they drastically changed the pockets.

The classic shirt has the symmetrical pocket design of the old (better) CPO, collar and sleeve contrast details, buttons rather than snaps (which are easier to replace if they break) and the 12 oz grey wool is a perfect neutral color for a mid layer. I actually prefer the less heavy fabric of the classic shirt because it will work better as a mid layer when it gets colder. I've owned 3 different CPO shirt jackets and sold them all because they just don't work for me as a mid layer piece, and are not warm enough for proper cold weather. Worst of both worlds. Anyways, looking forward to the shirt more as an over shirt than jacket.

and of the ones I owned, I think my favorite CPO was the brown herringbone one from 2010:

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seriously mikey, stop being a smartass. Pre-Med is difficult boo hoo but don't release it by calling people out on different threads okay?.

not a premed, never been a premed, but for whatever it's worth, pre med undergrad is far from "hard" and people who think it is are basically doomed in real med school.

lawlercon

Reaction score

The painted snap buttons actually suck imho, mine already scratched and paint is chipping off, I'll probably end up removing the paint on all of them or selling it, but I guess if you wear it really really casually it wont look that bad with the snaps scratched/chipped.

I think the more you see it, you'll start to appreciate the character it brings. :)

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah it's not fair to compare the two pieces based on price, but the reason I brought up the CPO is that I really don't like the current CPO design and was looking for something similar to the pre FW 2012 version when they drastically changed the pockets.

The cpo has always been one of my eg favorites too,,, until it went over the 3 pocket mark last year.
I also agree your above comment to be a fair assessment, please let us know how the classic shirt works out for you in that context, I kinda like it but missing details from the cpo like rounded hem, sleeve pocket and neck tab are deal breakers for me, also I dislike how flat hem shirts look untucked on me, on the other hand it should def work better as mid layer.

The only way the cpo works for me as a mid layer is under a vest, over ls, t or thin bd shirt.

and of the ones I owned, I think my favorite CPO was the brown herringbone one from 2010:

I have that one too, love that fabric, sadly its a bit warm for socal and hardly gets any wear these days (and iirc this was FW09 not 2010).
My current favorite would be this one, although still a bit warm for socal.

I think the more you see it, you'll start to appreciate the character it brings. :)

I concur!

Thanks guys, I'm more than willing to give it a fair shot.

I sorta regret passing on the fw12 olive wool, but somehow convinced myself that the white contrasting inner placket and upper front chest mini-pockets were deal breakers, so seeing how this season they sorta went back to a simpler/cleaner look, I jumped on the charcoal.

I must say though the slanted sleeve pocket needs a bit getting used to, functionally its better I guess but visually idk, guess I'm too used to the older strait position.

Last edited:

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm also regrettign passing on picking up something in the Olive Wool fabric last fall, but EG has become more affordable to me recently as I climb the ladder :)

VCircuit

Reaction score

The classic shirt has the symmetrical pocket design of the old (better) CPO, collar and sleeve contrast details, buttons rather than snaps (which are easier to replace if they break) and the 12 oz grey wool is a perfect neutral color for a mid layer. I actually prefer the less heavy fabric of the classic shirt because it will work better as a mid layer when it gets colder. I've owned 3 different CPO shirt jackets and sold them all because they just don't work for me as a mid layer piece, and are not warm enough for proper cold weather. Worst of both worlds. Anyways, looking forward to the shirt more as an over shirt than jacket.

Yeah, if what you want is a mid layer I think the current CPO would be the wrong choice...it has so many outer details and the fit is extremely roomy, I don't know where all that fabric would go. But as an outer I can make use of that volume and easily fit an overshirt or thick sweater underneath it, and I'd be willing to take on New England weather wearing 31oz of wool or w/e. For me the real point of comparison is the 19oz field jacket, and I think the current CPO has the more interesting fit (I am a sucker for its hem). The classic shirt is definitely the more logical choice for a mid layer, and if people prefer the older CPO styling the x Faribault is another shot at it.

That brown herringbone is great, and I definitely regret not picking up an olive field shirt-jac last year.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mikey, you got an olive shirt jacket last year, right?

Does anyone know who stocks the grey flannel classic shirt?

Jagger_On

Reaction score
Finally picked up the package I ordered from The Bureau last week - LDT Jacket and Irving pants in the grey windowpane and the blue flannel shawl. Decided against the 3 piece at the moment but I'm sure I'll go back for the waistcoat next month if it is still available. The fabric on the jacket and pants is absolutely gorgeous. There's a wee bit of cashmere in there and it's really lined, jacket is fully lined too. The trousers are lined to just below the knee, these thing are gonna be really awesome and toasty.

Have a couple of wee issues with it though. The colour isn't as light as the pictures on the Bureau's website. I'll maybe drop them an email in the morning just to make sure they didn't send me the charcoal one. Does anyone else have experience with this jacket? I'll upload a picture in the morning if it's easier. The only other issue I have is with the sleeves on the jacket. I think I've got shortish arms anyway but I tried on the same size in Liberty a few weeks back and I can't remember the sleeves being so long and the sleeves on this one are so much longer than the other EG jackets I have. It's an easy fix for a tailor but they almost come down to my second set of knuckles.

Out of interest, does anyone have an experience with the mittens? I had them in my basket and took them out at the last minute for some reason.

Jagger_On

Reaction score

Charcoal would have some red stripes and grey should have some orange stripes.

Yeah, I've just gone through the pics on the Bureaus website and it is definitely the orange stripes. I think I was just expecting it to be a little lighter than it is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads