• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineer Style

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
OK - no offense to any of our members who are engineers, but most engineers have terrible style.

A few of us went to lunch today at a restaurant located basically next door to one of the chip makers here in Phoenix (we were in Chandler actually) and there were a ton of engineers in the same restaurant.

How do I know they were engineers? Probably because the majority of them were wearing relaxed fit faded blue jeans, tucked in polo shirts (with Cisco, Intel and other logos), and running shoes. A few changed it up with khaki shorts while others wore Dockers and short-sleeve dress shirts.

The few females among them were in the same outfits.

It was a very surreal experience and I really wish I had a camera phone to record the moment.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds like your typical IT conference. I read recently (honestly can't remember the source) that the results of a study on online dating sites showed that those stated that their profession was computer related got, by far, the fewest responses. Of course, what the researchers really did was use all their grant money on a "factfinding" trips to Cabo, and then just stated the obvious when the time came to publish. So there, microsoft-taking-over-the-world-geeks
smile.gif
. Goes for you Apple dorks too.

Hanseat

Reaction score
I'll actually make Dilbert-day with a friend of mine who is going into engineering:

Picked up a red-black striped tie and will put a wire in it so it curls up. pocket protector is on the way and I'll put in a TI-89 for a nice bulge.

They're engineers and as such tend to think about the stuff that really matters and is truly interesting (that from a non-tech guy). Let 'em have their fun and spend theit brain power on something more productive.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Geez, I thought you were gonna say something about Wernher Von Braun.

braun.gif

I can walk!!!

cmrocks

Reaction score
I'm going into engineering. I guess it's a good thing I'm on this site.

drake

Reaction score
As an Engineer I can put it best by simply saying: **** off.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As tactless as this may sound... I'm an engineer, and I don't need online dating sites to get dates. Not to mention, I look nothing like, nor do I dress anything like, the typical IT geek. Unfortunately, the stereotype is most accurate.. I know a guy that works for Boeing that.. pretty much every polo he owns is IT-related; it's quite sad.

SCREW YOU GUYS AND SCREW THAT SURVEY.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an engineer, I have to agree. Sometimes it is painful. I am somewhat compelled to do the shirt and tie thing, were I to wear a suit I would be really out of place. My philosophy of engineering is that it is a fusion of imagination, knowledge and intuition -- definitely an art -- and if I were running an engineering firm, I would let everyone wear whatever they pleased, except at client meetings. I think engineers would do better if they had the freedom to overcome the stereotype. At least in some industries. Regards, Huntsman

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a student of engineering I can vouch that this stereotype is almost universally accurate. The worst thing is to see other students dressing like this for their internships. At least wait until you're 30, guys.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
I used to work in a civil engineering firm. It's a style wasteland sponsored by Kohl's.

PunctualAlex

Reaction score
Hey! I'm an engineering student! I actually go to an "engineering school" and I have to say that it is the most stylistically backwards institution I have ever seen. Students, staff, faculty alike, no one has any idea how to dress themselves. That goes for streetwear and business clothing. It's terrible. Half of the people at this school seem to think that ankles are a fashion statement and should be displayed proudly at all times, especially to show off your new socks and Tevas. Most girls are incapable of wearing pants with a waist below their belly-button. 4 or 5 days of facial hair is de rigeur, and clip-on ties are the standard for whichever faculty bother to put on a tie at all. There are a few exceptions, of course. I had a chemistry professor recently who had excellent taste in everything except for eyeglasses and hairstyles. I think I made a bad impression by staring at his tie knot one day. It was really well done and the tie was obviously high quality, but it would've been awkward to ask him about it. Of course, the next day the electrical engineering department had a "hawaiian shirts mandatory" BBQ the next day and the department head showed up wearing a pair of khakis with pleats wider than your average city bus.
confused.gif
Edit: The advantage of going to a school like this is that if I can wear even vaguely decent clothing which fits me and has no noticable stains or tears, I look amazing by comparison.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drake
As an Engineer I can put it best by simply saying: **** off.

Dude, no need to get defensive. The stereotypes stand up, in general, of course, to scrutiny
smile.gif
And I know what I am talking about - I went to a big Engineering school for undergrad, and to Caltech for grad school. I'd put down some heavy money that the typical engineer sees less action than GWB did during the Vietnam War.

PunctualAlex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Dude, no need to get defensive. The stereotypes stand up, in general, of course, to scrutiny
smile.gif
And I know what I am talking about - I went to a big Engineering school for undergrad, and to Caltech for grad school. I'd put down some heavy money that the typical engineer sees less action than GWB did during the Vietnam War.

Of course, that's not such a bad thing if you've seen engineering school women.

summej2

Reaction score
I'm a physicist, so I can't quite speak to this (engineers, for example, hold a monopoly on the short-sleeve dress shirt with tie look). But, while the assumption that engineers (and, frankly, scientists and mathematicians too)dress poorly is a fair rule, there are always notable exceptions. Case in point: my Ph.D. advisor, who was an engineer by training, wore very tasteful three-piece bespoke suits, understated designer ties,and french and italian shoes. Come to think of it, he was thronged by women...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads